Dive Excursions in Grand Cayman & Cozumel???

DMoss3377

Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful
Hi Everyone...

A friend of mine is planning to do a couple dive excursions when we're cruising in March.

He's asked me to find out if anyone's done these dives and what you thought of them. He might only choose one, so your feedback would help in choosing which one might be the better of the two.

Grand Cayman - 2-Tank Dive Tour
Cozumel - Certified Scuba Tour

So any pros, cons, recommendations and if anyone knows whether they will let you use Nitrox (sp) on these dives???

Thanks in advance!

- there is a CRUISE web site where people discuss this very topic but if I name it I fear the post will be removed (again). People can be so CRITICal

- Realize that Cozumel will almost always be a boat drift dive and Cayman a boat dive (but not drift) if that makes a difference. (ship tours that is...) There is little shore diving in Coz...but great shore diving in CI

- The plus of taking the ship's tours are assurance a late return won't be a problem and dealing with the possibility of a missed port call. The down side is $$$ ... you can do better on your own.

- Many however choose to arrange their own excursions because the ship's dive packages tend to be geared to the once every two year diver...very safe; and often a more crowded experience. I've never seen a ship arranged tour that would be a 'tech dive' e.i. NITROX.

- That said, I've done it both ways....for the reasons stated.

- My choice in this situation....well I've a bit of experience in both places and on a vacation I like to reduce stress too. I choose Cayman and I skip the ship's tour. I walk a mile south of the tender landing to Sunset House, visit the dive shop, rent what we need and do a shore dive, or two, at a site the Mrs & I have dove hundreds of times. When we're done, there's a great bar and restaurant right next to the entry point and showers. You won't get "the wall" without a boat dive, but I don't have hundreds of dives here cuz it stinks..... {it is a fantastic place for a nite dive}. btw, the cost here will be a fraction of the ship's excursion. You could do the same thing walking to Eden Rock...but Sunset won't be crowded...Eden will. www.SunsetHouse.com no affiliation...I just like to dive there.

- as a choice 'tween the two ship's tours.... I'd say what r ur plans for the port otherwise? (I'd actually dive both) If Stingray City is a want then dive Coz.... If you want to get rowdy at Carlos and Charlie's, then dive CI. IHMO to say one place is better than the other is foolish. I can dive the same site 5 days in a row and see different stuff. One day may be great...and another stink...depends on conditions...phases of the moon, biorythims and karma!

Thank you so much for the information. I'm forwarding the thread onto my friend.

I think he's decided to do only one dive this trip and he will probably do Cayman, so based on your post, I think he's made a good decision between the two.

Much appreciated!

In cozumel, we have used www.eagleraydivers.com. LOVED THEM!!! They are also the company that the officers/crew use when in Cozumel (at least in 2004...) Give them a shot.

It was always recommended to me to skip the cruise sponsored excursions...so we did some research on our own!

I did both dive excursions last spring.

The operator (Red Sail) at Cayman was very professional -- well-organized and well supplied (there was a petite diver who needed very small booties -- and they had them). I didn't appreciate how well organized until we got to Cozumel.

The operator at Cozumel (don't recall the name) did not have their act together. They were not well supplied (the above petite diver had to make do ...). They had forgotten to stock the dive boat with weights, enough BCDs, etc. I had all my own gear, so it didn't matter to me, but other divers were not pleased. I hope DCL has contracted with a different operator.

Both dive excursions were guided -- a DM leading us and pointing neat stuff out. I like the "protection" of a DCL-arranged excursion, so I would probably not do either dive "on my own".

Nitrox was not an option on either excursion.

Wow, this is all great information. Keep it coming...never can be too educated. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter