Distance from DLH to Disneyland Park?

nikib808

Earning My Ears
My family, including my hubby, parents (in their late 60's) and kids (ages 2 and 5) will be going to Disneyland mid-May. We'd like to stay on-site, preferably at the Disneyland Hotel, but I've heard (and read) that it may take 20 minutes to get the the parks from the DLH. True?

If so, would you recommend the Grand Californian, even though we'll probably be spending most of our time at Disneyland not California Adventure (because our kids are young)?

It's been at least 8 years since I've been to Disneyland so any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Mahalo!!

My family, including my hubby, parents (in their late 60's) and kids (ages 2 and 5) will be going to Disneyland mid-May. We'd like to stay on-site, preferably at the Disneyland Hotel, but I've heard (and read) that it may take 20 minutes to get the the parks from the DLH. True?

If so, would you recommend the Grand Californian, even though we'll probably be spending most of our time at Disneyland not California Adventure (because our kids are young)?

It's been at least 8 years since I've been to Disneyland so any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Mahalo!!
It depends on how fast you walk. 20 minutes is walking at a slow pace. Also you can use the monorail to DL.

The GCH is closer, but be careful as it has very long hallways and it can be deceptively long to get to the parks.

See "How Far Is It?" (shows actual distances in feet from hotels to DLR entrance plaza) www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm060329as

Depending on which tower you are in, it's basically a walk through the hotel grounds and then through Downtown Disney and then through the entrance plaza at the parks. I'd compare it to walking from one end of a large mall to the other... and then through the parking lot to the end of the row to get your car! ;)

It's not a "far" walk. I walked it everyday for 5 days with my 7 yr old DD and she never complained at all.And you do have to choice to take the monorail for the times you just don't want to walk that far. 20 minutes is if you walk pretty slow. It took my DD and I about 7-10 minutes to walk it. I personally prefer to stay on site and the DLH is a great place to stay!!!

And please don't count out DCA with small kids. There's lots for them to do! The Bugs Life Area (not tough to be a bug 3D movie) is fabulous. Plus the Animation Academy where they can talk to Crush, Monsters Inc, TSMM, and the Redwood Creek Trail are all favorites. The 5 year old may enjoy Soarin', Grizzly River Rapids, the swings, Goofys Sky School depending on their height.

We went in 2009 when our kids were 4 and 6 and stayed at the DLH. The walk was about 10 minutes and the kids did not complain once. It is a nice walk through Downtown Disney and they have a wonderful new pool area. We are planning on staying there again for our upcoming trip in Oct.
I agree with PP that DCA has a lot for kids. My kids loved TSMM and Monster Inc. rides and there was a theatre that did live productions for pre-schoolers with characters from Disney Kids like Handy Manny, Little Einsteins and others. Bugs Land rides are great for that age. We did not do the Redwood Creek trail last time (ran out of time and energy) but they have re-themed it with UP so it is a must for us this time around as well as the Little Mermaid ride.

Walk from the DLH is about ten minutes. To the monorail station from DLH is two or three minutes. If you stay at the Grand, it is a five minute walk to the front gates or the monorail staion for DL. From the Grand you have a private entrance to DCA for disney guests. It is nice. Using the GCH entrance, turn left for a short walk to Soaring or turn right for the redwood trails, grizzly rapids, and Goofies flight school. Explore the hotels using the links at the top of the forum page......:cool1:

Thanks for the replies! It certainly eases my concerns about the distance, especially since we'll be returning to the hotel at least once a day for a midday nap.

The replies are based on average crowds, but I would not worry one bit. We have lived in So Cal our whole lives and only once found the trip a long one. I would take the walking route, however, as the line from Tomorrowland to the monorail can be a long one just because kids like to ride it. HAVE FUN!!

And please don't count out DCA with small kids. There's lots for them to do! The Bugs Life Area (not tough to be a bug 3D movie) is fabulous. Plus the Animation Academy where they can talk to Crush, Monsters Inc, TSMM, and the Redwood Creek Trail are all favorites. The 5 year old may enjoy Soarin', Grizzly River Rapids, the swings, Goofys Sky School depending on their height.

Yes yes yes!

IMO, so much at Disneyland is actually *scary* for many little kids. DS at 4, one early morning, despite having been on Peter Pan many times and loving it, was crying while in the line because the line was dark and spooky. you can see outside, it's a *covered* line not an *indoor* line, but it was just getting to him. And even at 7 he still has NO interest in Snow White's Scary Adventures (truly, that's it's name...it has "scary" right in it!) or Pinnochio, and only occasionally wants to go on Alice in Wonderland.

But put him in bug's land or monster's inc or in the Grizzly area, and he LOVES it.

Thanks for the replies! It certainly eases my concerns about the distance, especially since we'll be returning to the hotel at least once a day for a midday nap.

If you're in (or beyond, so you have to pass it by) Tomorrowland as you're getting ready to leave, and the monorail is running, it would be a nice idea to catch it, for those nap times. Puts you off towards the end of downtown disney; you have to walk past Rainforest Cafe and ESPN zone, and then you're on the DLHotel grounds.

Thanks Shannon, just was going to say something..there are many things to in DCA for the little people.

Jack

We went a year ago when DS was 5. He went on just about everything at least once even Tower of Terror. Every child is different. Some love fast and scary and some hate it. Don't be afraid to start out slow and see how your 5 year old responds. You can always use Rider Swap so that each parent gets to ride the rides with the 5yo while the other watches the 2yo. Have fun!

Thanks for the info re: DCA! I've always heard it was for bigger kids but I now have a hunch that my 5yo will enjoy herself there. Can't wait to see the expression on her face!

I called to make reservations and learned that seniors get a 30% discount, so that makes the Grand more attractive. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Yes yes yes!

IMO, so much at Disneyland is actually *scary* for many little kids. DS at 4, one early morning, despite having been on Peter Pan many times and loving it, was crying while in the line because the line was dark and spooky. you can see outside, it's a *covered* line not an *indoor* line, but it was just getting to him. And even at 7 he still has NO interest in Snow White's Scary Adventures (truly, that's it's name...it has "scary" right in it!) or Pinnochio, and only occasionally wants to go on Alice in Wonderland.

But put him in bug's land or monster's inc or in the Grizzly area, and he LOVES it.

If you're in (or beyond, so you have to pass it by) Tomorrowland as you're getting ready to leave, and the monorail is running, it would be a nice idea to catch it, for those nap times. Puts you off towards the end of downtown disney; you have to walk past Rainforest Cafe and ESPN zone, and then you're on the DLHotel grounds.

Yes..my poor 11 year old grandson with Aspergers was freaked out because it must be Scary if they put that in the name. And it was only until late in our trip that I realized he was reading all the ride descriptions and was taking them super literally but after some talking and joking about he loosened up.
True..there is ALOT of fun to be had in DCA for kids.

Thanks for this info...we are there in 2 weeks and I was worried about my mom walking as she has knee issues...glad to hear its not too bad!

Thanks for the info re: DCA! I've always heard it was for bigger kids but I now have a hunch that my 5yo will enjoy herself there. Can't wait to see the expression on her face!

I called to make reservations and learned that seniors get a 30% discount, so that makes the Grand more attractive. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Most definitely! And BTW the 30% off for seniors is for all three Disney hotels.....hmmmm maybe I'll convince my dad or in laws to come along with us. LOL!

Is the senior discount a recurring thing or is it seasonal? Thats great to know it even exists!

I believe it's usually available but I'm not certain. Maybe others can confirm. I do know that it's only good on regular rooms and not suites. The cost of a two bedroom suite at DLH was $4400 vs. two regular rooms at $1333 with the discount. No kitchen of course but such a drastic difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter