Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions

Hey, Beach Club experts! We just checked in today for the second half of our Disney visit, having transferred over from the Grand Floridian. One quick question: has anybody called housekeeping to request a clock and gotten one? We requested and received one at the Grand Floridian and at Animal Kingdom Lodge earlier this year, but housekeeping at the BC is telling us that they don't have any clocks...after the front desk told us they'd send one right up. Hmmm, I'm confused.
I have to say, I was so excited to check in today to my favorite resort, but for a variety of reasons, it has actually been really disappointing so far. Maybe my expectations were too high from all of the great experiences we've had here, but I'm kind of regretting my split stay and wishing we had stayed put over at the Grand Floridian . We will make the best of it, though, because it's still better than being at home!

Hello BC thread! We're staying in a Deluxe room this Christmas from Dec 16-26! Only stayed at BC one time (spring break 2015) in a SV CL room and loved the lounge. Looking forward to the Holidays at this resort and especially the close proximity to Epcot!

Quick question. Our general strategy is to wake up early and hit rope drop at any given park, then come back to the room in the early afternoon. It is always extremely disappointing if housekeeping hasn't been to our room by 2 or 3 in the afternoon -- is there a way to request early-ish housekeeping service? Or is it too common a request for them to be able to honor?

BC/YC CMs haven't heard any YC DVC rumours- I wonder if the expansion plans overheard were about the Ale & Compass expansion...

:scratchin

Ouch!!!

Another theory about the "Expansion" at the Yacht Club was that it was just work on the convention center. People see that permits are pulled but the permit might not directly refer to a known designation that lay people would understand. Often times the permits just refer to "facility enhancements" rather than anything specific. I think this is how the rumor started. Of course Disney could be way ahead of the game and be seriously considering a DVC expansion in as many available resort land slots as they think they can fill. It will be very interesting to see which way they go with new construction, especially with the current international economic downturn.

The other interesting thing is that the capacity of all the Disney resorts is just a small portion of what the theme parks can hold. This is why the resorts are running at 85% plus occupancy but the parks are "empty". So an assessment would show that Disney has no problem "selling" it's hotel space. That's why it's attractive to make more rooms. The demand for them means it's a sure fire bet if they increase capacity. When it comes to Disney resort rooms, "if they build it people will come". The fact that the guests are relatively "captive" on Disney property would mean that most of what these guests are spending on vacation would be spent on Disney products. This would increase Disney's profit line.

And speaking of Disney's profit line, it seems that this is the primary focus of the parks these days. Never mind imagineering or the Disney "plus-ing" that we saw in the past. Now all the effort is in offering the minimum for the maximum profit. We have seen over the past 3 years an erosion of entertainment and offerings and the advent of the $16 dollar cheeseburger "happy meal" on property. All this is directed toward pumping up the stock price. The stock price and thus profit is the primary focus. It's a bummer and a poor choice for the guests.

Is anybody else loving the fact that people from the United States market stayed home rather than be price gouged for the upcharge in park tickets when the kids were off of school? The US dollar is a lot stronger versus the South American currencies and even the British pound used to be worth approximately 1.75 US dollars for every 1 US dollar. Now it's down to about $1.33. Even poor Canada is in the dumpster when it comes to currency exchange. So you have the international guest segment tanking and the domestic guest segment staying home because of all the price gouging by Disney.

As Nelson from the Simpsons would say to Disney:

b79c04fb6f2a6b174a861e9c237055f1.jpg

So now that Disney is doing all these "mega" park expansions, they know for sure that, if they increase room capacity, it will feed into their "Captive guest spends all their vacation money at Disney" profit enhancement plan. I just hope that Disney will deliver with the new park expansions - (can anyone say Rivers of Light or the Fantasyland expansion in the Magic Kingdom?) Just think.... by the time Star Wars land opens in 2022, ( Yep, it will take that long, Pandora started in 2011, so all these projects move at a glacial pace) Disney will probably have increased it's resort room capacity to handle the demand. Where they will place these rooms is the real question.

~NM

I know I'm entirely alone, but I like the no-handle mugs a lot. I carry a small backpack or string bag in the parks and our boys all carry their own string bags. I bring a ton of plastic ziplock bags whenever we travel, so anyone who wants to bring their mug to the parks picks up a clean plastic ziplock on the way out the door and has an easy way to zip up and carry the empty mug when finished. It's far easier to stash the empty ziplocked mug in a small string bag when it doesn't have handles. So I'm happy about this. For me, the only negative is that I can't run out to fill up multiple kids' mugs at once . . . wait - that's not a negative - looks like everyone will have to get their own drinks!

In the end, it's all about easy transport for that mug to Epcot for my grey goose slushie. Hate that silly plastic martini glass.

Rather than take your mug (unless of course it is your desire to slip your slushie out the back gate), have them pour your slushie into a plastic beer cup--no sloshing and much more stable than the usual stemmed cup. :thumbsup2

Hello BC thread! We're staying in a Deluxe room this Christmas from Dec 16-26! Only stayed at BC one time (spring break 2015) in a SV CL room and loved the lounge. Looking forward to the Holidays at this resort and especially the close proximity to Epcot!

Quick question. Our general strategy is to wake up early and hit rope drop at any given park, then come back to the room in the early afternoon. It is always extremely disappointing if housekeeping hasn't been to our room by 2 or 3 in the afternoon -- is there a way to request early-ish housekeeping service? Or is it too common a request for them to be able to honor?

When you check-in let the CL CM know you would like an earlier cleaning. Also, once you get to your room, use the housekeeping button on the room phone and speak to housekeeping and let them know. It is worth a try to have noted.

Rather than take your mug (unless of course it is your desire to slip your slushie out the back gate), have them pour your slushie into a plastic beer cup--no sloshing and much more stable than the usual stemmed cup. :thumbsup2

That's brilliant! Why did I never think of that before? :cool1:

For those that use Touring Plans to put in a room request, do you still do online check in or do you check in at the desk when you arrive?

And do you still put in requests when doing the online check in (if you do that as well)?

For those that use Touring Plans to put in a room request, do you still do online check in or do you check in at the desk when you arrive?

And do you still put in requests when doing the online check in (if you do that as well)?
We did online check-in for our upcoming stay, as well as using TP's room request. We did choose the 2 requests with online check-in. We just made sure that the requests on both were the same. I did the same thing last November for my POR stay.

We did online check-in for our upcoming stay, as well as using TP's room request. We did choose the 2 requests with online check-in. We just made sure that the requests on both were the same. I did the same thing last November for my POR stay.

Thank you for the reply, appreciate it. I'll do both then. Thanks again.

And in more exciting developments-

We have unconfirmed speculation that the YC renovations will include an expansion of the Ale & Compass lounge to include (or become) a quick service location with a REFILL MUG STATION for the convenience of Yacht Club guests.

I don't have any details about when this might be happening, but definitely a step in the right direction!!!

:woohoo:
Best news EVER!

Hey, Beach Club experts! We just checked in today for the second half of our Disney visit, having transferred over from the Grand Floridian. One quick question: has anybody called housekeeping to request a clock and gotten one? We requested and received one at the Grand Floridian and at Animal Kingdom Lodge earlier this year, but housekeeping at the BC is telling us that they don't have any clocks...after the front desk told us they'd send one right up. Hmmm, I'm confused.
I have to say, I was so excited to check in today to my favorite resort, but for a variety of reasons, it has actually been really disappointing so far. Maybe my expectations were too high from all of the great experiences we've had here, but I'm kind of regretting my split stay and wishing we had stayed put over at the Grand Floridian . We will make the best of it, though, because it's still better than being at home!

Sorry that your expectations are not quite being met and I hate to add to that but we requested a clock 3 times this past trip and never got it. We gave up in the end :headache:

If you called "the front desk" from your room, you were not really speaking to the front desk, so you might have been given inaccurate info. If you stopped at the front desk and they told you this... Then never mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!