Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions Updated Info on Page 1 Post 1 & 13, 14

kandb

DIS Veteran
I have heard that a resort will sometimes send engineering to a guest room to temporarily (perhaps for 24 hours) disable the motion sensor on the AC. Can anyone confirm that the BC or YC will do this, upon request?
We have been staying at Disney hotels for years and have called engineering to do this in the past when during our first night of sleep the temperature in the room was too high. This was a few years ago and then they did something to the thermostat and it lasted for 4 or 5 days I believe. I will not be able to sleep in a hot room. I hope this problem gets fixed.

bookbabe626

DIS Veteran
Hello!

First timers here in 10. Days for a 2 bedroom BC Villa...A few questions...

1. I know they dont guarantee room types but can I request a certain room/location? If so, which ones? (I booked via dreams unlimited). I saw some Balconies are short and some are full size?

2. Are the renos done for BC 2 BR Villas? Are there still 2 types? The standard 2 BR and the one with a connecting Studio? Which is better? Its my wife and two teen boys.

3. Any other cool reccomendations? It is very important we make this a good trip (see my other posts if interested) but fear not we keep our expectations in check.

4. Is the AC in the rooms good?

Thanks!
A 2 bedroom at BCV is going to be awesome. We had a 1 bedroom for DH and I over NYE and loved it. Lots of space and the reno did a really nice job of updating the rooms while keeping a beach-y look. DH wants our house to look like that now.

I'd request a room close to the main BC lobby, which makes it a shorter walk to SAB and the BC Marketplace. I'd also try for a dedicated 2 bedroom, so you've got two real beds in the second bedroom for the boys, but one might not be available since there's fewer of them.

Stock up on soda, water, snacks, etc. and maybe some breakfast stuff. The full kitchen is awesome even if you don't cook a lot of (or any) meals in it.

The best thing about BC/YC/BCV (other than SAB) is the ability to walk to Epcot and DHS. And, if you have PH passes, you can cut through Epcot to take the monorail to MK. We really don't like buses, and the boats can be slow to DHS, so even though it takes a bit longer we'll often walk to MK and DHS. It makes us feel much more in the middle of the action. And treating Epcot's WS like your giant personal food court is kind of fun...we'll often just pop over for a snack or meal on the way to somewhere else. (Take your car to AK and DS, and you can avoid buses all week.)

Hope you have a great time!

alex9179

DIS Veteran
It seems like the lowest temp you can set the thermostat for is 68 BUT during the night when there is no movement the a/c doesn't go on when the temp goes above 68. This is done to save energy. I think there is 2 issues, one no fans or air movement and the other is the temp going up because the sensor does not detect movement in the room when you are sleeping.
This has been a concern on the boards since our first family trip in 2012. We've stayed at 3 different resorts and the room temperature was always quite cool throughout the night. The bypass trick was unnecessary for our stays.

Whether this will be true in a week, I can't predict. I'm going with the assumption that the ambient temperature will be fine unless the A/C is actually malfunctioning...in which case I'll request to be moved. Should I take my Thermapen and test the air temp vs thermostat setting? :joker:

• JennLTX

DIS Veteran
    This has been a concern on the boards since our first family trip in 2012. We've stayed at 3 different resorts and the room temperature was always quite cool throughout the night. The bypass trick was unnecessary for our stays.

Whether this will be true in a week, I can't predict. I'm going with the assumption that the ambient temperature will be fine unless the A/C is actually malfunctioning...in which case I'll request to be moved. Should I take my Thermapen and test the air temp vs thermostat setting? :joker:
    Let me know how those tests turn out. :p

Wood Nymph

DIS Veteran
    When we checked into our room at the Beach Club on Friday morning the A/C was set on 66 degrees. The room was like an ice box. We have had absolutely no trouble with the air not being cold enough, although we usually set it around 70 degrees. The temperature is the room is always on the same setting as what we set it on. It never gets higher or lower so it really doesn't seem to me as if it is on some sort of motion detector type setting.

Other updates from our wonderful stay at the Beach Club.

The new Ale and Compass Marketplace has the most delicious caramel nut rolls in the world - better than the Boardwalk my husband says. They keep them on the warm shelf and when you buy them they are very warm and moist. I asked the CM about the shelf life of the hot foods and they only sit there for thirty minutes before they throw them away. They told me it was a learning curve as to how many they put out at once. We had our roll after dinner and I've always seen at least three rolls out there at a time. The sandwiches were kept in the regular refrigerator.

The new Coke freestyle machines have "real" Minute Maid lemonade - with sugar. :worship:Thank goodness they are finally offering lemonade that is not artificially sweetened. But never fear, if you like your artificial sweeteners then you can have them. They have all sorts of flavors in the machine. :)

We spent a lovely afternoon at SAB. The pool wasn't crowded and there were plenty of open chairs and tables. We floated around the lazy river and it looks like they only have single tubes now. We didn't see any doubles. We had a waiter bring us food and drinks and my husband declared the pulled pork sandwich to be very good. He is very particular about his pulled pork so that was a good sign.

We sat at a table near the Yacht Club side near the kids pool mostly because it was shady and had open tables. We were pleased to discover that they built an exit at that end of the pool, next to the ping pong table. That exit made it faster and easier to get back to our resort room than walking back through the resort.

The CM at the Captain's Grill said that they are closing the restaurant on Wednesday (May 24th). It will be closed all day on Thursday and then reopen on Friday in the space that Ariel's currently occupies.

We met Star Lord and baby Groot at DHS this morning. We got there about 9:35am and it was almost a walk on - just one family ahead of us. They are in "One Man's Dream", at the end of the exhibit. We also saw the ten minute long preview of the upcoming Pirates of the Carribbean movie. That was a nice surprise. We totally enjoyed the preview. I don't know how the movie will turn out but it looks promising. :)

TNKim

Mouseketeer
    "The new Coke freestyle machines have "real" Minute Maid lemonade - with sugar. :worship:Thank goodness they are finally offering lemonade that is not artificially sweetened. But never fear, if you like your artificial sweeteners then you can have them. They have all sorts of flavors in the machine. :)
    Do you know if the new Coke Freestyle machines have Dr. Pepper?

• sjs314

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and
    Do you know if the new Coke Freestyle machines have Dr. Pepper?
    Download the Coke Frestyle App, the drink selection is unbelievable plus you can mix flavors store your favorites in the App to make getting refills very easy.

EdmondD

DIS Veteran
    Hey you - the people in the Villas room 367 on the night of May 13, the ones apparently playing a spirited round of bocce ball at 1am and randomly kicking our adjoining wall, so hard that it would shudder....I suspect I know why you didn't answer the door when I knocked, twice and with meaning, at about 1:30, and I'm not sure if the front desk did anything after I called and said you were being excessively noisy. But I'm pretty certain you were still asleep when we all got up at 7am that morning and I hope that the four times my phone played "Let it Go," while leaning up against said wall while my son loudly sang along provided a pleasant wake-up for you.

jen7233

DIS Veteran
    What is everyone's favorite way to get to HS from the BC? I kind of want to try the boat, but I wonder if its extremely crowded in the morning. I wouldn't mind walking, but don't think the kids would do this plus the park. Did anyone ever check the distance walking from BC to HS on a phone app or fitbit? Just curious.

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
    What is everyone's favorite way to get to HS from the BC? I kind of want to try the boat, but I wonder if its extremely crowded in the morning. I wouldn't mind walking, but don't think the kids would do this plus the park. Did anyone ever check the distance walking from BC to HS on a phone app or fitbit? Just curious.
    It is roughly a mile walk. We've done it a few times and relatively pleasant but takes about 20 minutes. The boats can be crowded in the morning and you might have to stand but they've never been so crowded that we could not board. Others may have had a different experience.

• PCFriar80

BCV/CT
    We enjoy the walk both to/from BC and HS. 20 minutes at a leisurely pace and don't forget the shortcut through the clown pool at BW. Basically, coming from BC, take a left just past the surrey bike kiosk, first right past the gym and arcade, to the pool and out to the walkway along the canal. Saves you some distance and about 5 minutes!

jlundeen

Mickey Fanatic
    The walk for us is great in the morning, but once legs and feet are tired, for me anyway, it was torture. Usually faster than the boats though!

SaintsManiac

Adventure is out there.
    We are considering driving from BC to HS. I know it won't save time, but I don't think I want to make that walk after Fantasmic!

Karebear

DIS Veteran
    Does anyone know if the campfire ban has been lifted? We will be there in July on ds birthday and he wants to do the campfire and marshmallow roast on his birthday

Tess

DIS Veteran - 1997
    Does anyone know if the campfire ban has been lifted? We will be there in July on ds birthday and he wants to do the campfire and marshmallow roast on his birthday
    Still in place when we left on 5/20/17. July is pretty far down the road though.

Wood Nymph

DIS Veteran
    We walked up to the boat dock around 9am and there were only a few people waiting for the DHS boat. The park opened at 9am that day.

We usually walk back at park close because the line is long then. It has people who are going to Epcot on it.
    The ban is still in place. They just got the first significant rain in weeks last night. We'll be back at the BC for 4th of July weekend so we'll let you know if it has been lifted by then. :)

I asked a lifeguard what the policy was for wearing life vests on the pirate slide. She said that you can wear the vests that they provide for the guests but you can't wear flotation devices that you bring from home.

PCFriar80

BCV/CT
    We walked up to the boat dock around 9am and there were only a few people waiting for the DHS boat. The park opened at 9am that day.

We usually walk back at park close because the line is long then. It has people who are going to Epcot on it.

The ban is still in place. They just got the first significant rain in weeks last night. We'll be back at the BC for 4th of July weekend so we'll let you know if it has been lifted by then. :)

I asked a lifeguard what the policy was for wearing life vests on the pirate slide. She said that you can wear the vests that they provide for the guests but you can't wear flotation devices that you bring from home.
    You're going to need another vacation in July after the labor intensive detective work you did on this trip! :cool2:

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

DISNEY WORLD RESORT GUIDES

DISNEY WORLD RESORT MAPS

DISNEY WORLD RESORT MENUS

DISNEY WORLD TICKETS

THEME PARK HOURS
    DISNEY WORLD VIDEOS