Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions

I have held 2 room only reservations for the same period a couple of different times before we chose one and cancelled the other. Most recently just a couple of weeks ago, when we had AKL for our upcoming stay and then BCV opened up. I booked BCV, discussed with my husband, and cancelled AKL maybe a week or week and a half later. We never had an issue. I’ve done that before as well. I’ve never had Disney make the reservations, it was always me online or a Citi concierge.
That's why it was so strange. I don't know why they told me that. As I mentioned, what I had done was make changes to one of the two reservations I held, and that's what triggered the "Call Disney" alert. I didn't have any trouble actually making the two reservations, or holding them both for several days.

Can someone give me a rough idea of how much time we should leave to get from the BC to MK and to AK in the morning? And how much time should we leave if we take Friendship boats to HS (now that it looks like they'll be running!) vs if we walk to HS? I'm trying to plan out what time we need to leave for Rope Drop days. And how much time should we leave for bag check? Does bag check take longer at any parks vs others?
Beach Club to MK for rope drop - It is approximately 15 minutes to get to MK. The rope drop bus tends to be very popular so you would want to arrive at the bus stop at least 45 minutes or more before park opening. Buses come between 15 and 20 minutes apart but that can vary a lot. Bag check can be quick because they have a lot of stations set up.

Beach Club to AK - a little bit longer bus ride, at least 22 minutes, Again, give yourself at least 45 minutes or more before park opening. Bag check is okay here.

I think the bag check at Hollywood Studios is the slowest. They don't seem to have enough stations for the crowd. The boat ride is about twenty minutes and the walk is just about the same amount of time, maybe a few minutes longer. The difference with the walk is that you don't have to wait for a boat.

I have held 2 room only reservations for the same period a couple of different times before we chose one and cancelled the other. Most recently just a couple of weeks ago, when we had AKL for our upcoming stay and then BCV opened up. I booked BCV, discussed with my husband, and cancelled AKL maybe a week or week and a half later. We never had an issue. I’ve done that before as well. I’ve never had Disney make the reservations, it was always me online or a Citi concierge.
Disney's policy is that you can't have more than one room only resort reservation for the same days at one resort. They don't have a problem with a guest booking the same dates at two different resorts.

I found this while wandering around the forums- Disney occupancy isn't so different from other major resort properties after all- so in my opinion, I don't know why their policies need to be:

"We will be leaving next week for Disney and doing a split stay. At the time we booked we couldn't find an Epcot resort for our entire stay so we booked 2 nights at the WL. Today I was just looking at hotel availability for our stay and was shocked at all the rooms available, many with an AP discount. From the GF to the BWI and the YC as well as many discounted rooms at the moderate and value resorts. So if anyone wants to do a very last minute trip lots of rooms available."

https://www.disboards.com/threads/lots-of-hotel-rooms-available-last-week-of-october.3712212/

Last edited:

I found this while wandering around the forums- Disney occupancy isn't so different from other major resort properties after all- so in my opinion, I don't know why their policies need to be:

"We will be leaving next week for Disney and doing a split stay. At the time we booked we couldn't find an Epcot resort for our entire stay so we booked 2 nights at the WL. Today I was just looking at hotel availability for our stay and was shocked at all the rooms available, many with an AP discount. From the GF to the BWI and the YC as well as many discounted rooms at the moderate and value resorts. So if anyone wants to do a very last minute trip lots of rooms available."

Haha, I was doing the same thing and also saw this post. I was curious so I plugged in our Oct 24-29 dates, and there wasn’t anything new. The same 4 resorts as there had been with the AP discount (CSR, CBR, ASM, and AOA), and even at rack rate it only added FW, Pop, and the other all stars. Luckily we found that BCV room a couple of weeks ago so It didn’t matter, I just wanted to check. I know things do change fast, though. One day I checked our dates and tons of things came up- MK resorts, multiple Epcot resorts, some CL rooms- I went home to discuss it with my husband and they were all gone. In a matter of a few hours. Back to the usual values, moderates, WL and AKL I had been seeing. Teach me to hesitate!

/
Due to the minimum five day notice for cancellation of room, only, reservations, it's not all that uncommon to find better availability about a week in advance. So, it's certainly worth continuing to check for any new availability. There are those who book two different resorts and then cancel one, within the required time frame.

For our upcoming family vacation we have 3 rooms booked. 2 rooms are at a discounted conference rate, and we waited until we got a discount email to book the 3rd, but by the time we called all of the discounted rooms were booked (literally the day we got the email!). We booked the third at the rack rate. The CM mentioned that we could check back in periodically to see if any cancellations opened up a discounted room. I've checked in occasionally with no luck.

At this point, if someone were to cancel their room-only reservation at a discounted rate last minute, would Disney even consider allowing someone to book it using a discount code? Or should I give up?

Last edited:

I'm so happy to say we will be back at BC the end of February. Sad that it's only for 3 nights, but I'll take what I can get. Between DH wanting to try (GASP) non-Disney things, and our daughter moving to the area 3 years ago (we spend time at their place), our Disney stays have gotten short. But as I said, I'll take the 3 nights and enjoy every minute! There aren't enough words in the English language to describe my feeling of happiness as we stroll the boardwalk.

Due to the minimum five day notice for cancellation of room, only, reservations, it's not all that uncommon to find better availability about a week in advance. So, it's certainly worth continuing to check for any new availability. There are those who book two different resorts and then cancel one, within the required time frame.
Exactly! That's the room cancellation policy being allowed to do what it is intended to do! Clear out those last few undecideds so others can have the room.
It's the other, unknown or rumored policies that are frustrating. I frankly think Disney makes their own problems worse by people trying to second-guess the system, e.g. holding reservations they may not really use or intend to change, in response to Disney policy. So Disney then tries to counter that. And people find new ways around the new countermeasures.....
Some days I feel like we're the raptors in Jurassic Park- "They're testing the system for weaknesses, they never attack the same place twice..":tongue:

Haha- that's us! Clever girl!

If all the kids are over the age of 3, it's understood and you don't need to request a room with a day bed. If any of the kids are under 3, then I would add a 2nd request for a room with a day bed.
I disagree with this. We were there the first week of October and my son has 3 children ages 4,6 an 8. He was given a room with 2 queen beds. We were staying club level, so he went right down to the cast member and asked to be moved. They said they would see if a room was available, if not they could put a rollaway in the room. My son said there was no room. They did have a room with the day bed, why they weren’t given it to begin with is beyond me. My husband and I had one in our room and it was just the 2 of us!

I disagree with this. We were there the first week of October and my son has 3 children ages 4,6 an 8. He was given a room with 2 queen beds. We were staying club level, so he went right down to the cast member and asked to be moved. They said they would see if a room was available, if not they could put a rollaway in the room. My son said there was no room. They did have a room with the day bed, why they weren’t given it to begin with is beyond me. My husband and I had one in our room and it was just the 2 of us!
Thanks for posting this. This happened to us last time- five people in a room with no daybed, and we, too, switched rooms. I would have thought they'd worked this out by now. Guess not. Do you know if your son had specified it on the room reservation?

Here at the BCVs now and my wife and I ran the Regatta Run, 3k (1.8 miles) this morning! Very well organized, fun and nice Swag at the end! $30.02 for the 2 of us, race bib, water, bananas, gogo squeeze apple sauce, nutrition bar, tote bag, pin, YC ear buds, and sunglasses! Highly recommend it for all! There were about 30 runners/walkers.

Trip started off a little interesting yesterday when we arrived and I received a baggage incident email from southwest.
My luggage was “dragged” and items run over by the cart. Lost most toiletries and clothes stained. Southwest made it right with compensation, new luggage, toiletry kits, and a duffle bag. Disney has been great also replacing items we lost and compensating us for food we packed for lunch. It was an ugly day yesterday but things are much better today! Any questions while I’m down here.....fire away!

Here at the BCVs now and my wife and I ran the Regatta Run, 3k (1.8 miles) this morning! Very well organized, fun and nice Swag at the end! $30.02 for the 2 of us, race bib, water, bananas, gogo squeeze apple sauce, nutrition bar, tote bag, pin, YC ear buds, and sunglasses! Highly recommend it for all! There were about 30 runners/walkers.

Trip started off a little interesting yesterday when we arrived and I received a baggage incident email from southwest.
My luggage was “dragged” and items run over by the cart. Lost most toiletries and clothes stained. Southwest made it right with compensation, new luggage, toiletry kits, and a duffle bag. Disney has been great also replacing items we lost and compensating us for food we packed for lunch. It was an ugly day yesterday but things are much better today! Any questions while I’m down here.....fire away!
That’s not good to hear. We fly with them on Tuesday.

Thanks for posting this. This happened to us last time- five people in a room with no daybed, and we, too, switched rooms. I would have thought they'd worked this out by now. Guess not. Do you know if your son had specified it on the room reservation?
He let Signature Services know that he needed a day bed in the room. It was also noted on his reservation.

The Regatta run sounds good. I’d like to try that although I’m not much or a runner, so maybe a lot more walking for me.
Have a great trip.

He let Signature Services know that he needed a day bed in the room. It was also noted on his reservation.
Do you know if the CM at the desk can tell whether the room has a daybed? That would be the last line of defense, so to speak. Unfortunate that we have to remember to ask, however.

I'm surprised and disappointed that we have to ask for a room that sleeps 5 when we book a room for 5 people! There's no way my family can all fit on 2 queens. Guess I have to add that to my reservation requests.

Do you know if the CM at the desk can tell whether the room has a daybed? That would be the last line of defense, so to speak. Unfortunate that we have to remember to ask, however.
The club level rooms on the fifth floor have the least amount of daybeds of any booking category. That is because most of them have dormers which makes the room smaller than a room that is not on the top floor. Disney should know that these rooms can barely fit a rolled in bed so they really shouldn’t let 5 people book these rooms that have only two queen beds.

That is so odd, why wouldn't they just have given you the room without the daybed and your son's family the room with the daybed? Or you could have switched if they didn't have another room available for them to switch to. Unless you had different room categories booked.

This seems like a basic part of being the room assigner - like welcome to your new job. Lesson A - if there are 5 people start by trying to assign a room with a daybed! This should override other peoples requests, and then after the rooms with 5 people get those rooms, move on to other requests. I know it isn't actually that simple, but you know what I mean. If there aren't any rooms, then they have no choice. But if you were able to switch, there were other rooms :confused3

I think they can, but I guess I'm not 100% sure.

I'm surprised and disappointed that we have to ask for a room that sleeps 5 when we book a room for 5 people! There's no way my family can all fit on 2 queens. Guess I have to add that to my reservation requests.

They wouldn't make or expect you to sleep on 2 queens, they would give you a roll in bed (what are they called officially? Cot? I'm blanking). That you have to fit into the room. It can be done, but I would much prefer a daybed than have an extra bed taking up that space. Just looks better, not sure about comfort. But I guess you take what you can get sometimes if you don't book the resorts with guaranteed daybeds.

The club level rooms on the fifth floor have the least amount of daybeds of any booking category. That is because most of them have dormers which makes the room smaller than a room that is not on the top floor. Disney should know that these rooms can barely fit a rolled in bed so they really shouldn’t let 5 people book these rooms that have only two queen beds.

For CL at the BC and YC they only let you book a standard View room with a party of 5, not GV or WV. I'm actually not sure of their rationale with that, b/c at the YC the CL GV rooms have daybeds, but you still can't book them with 5. Or at least I thought they all had daybeds, maybe I'm wrong and only the one we were in had one. But we had a SV CL BC room booked with 6 (but 2 were infants), and we didn't get a daybed. We didn't actually need it b/c we got 2 pack n plays for the infants, but I'm not sure if they saw that and assigned accordingly or if it was just luck of the draw. We weren't allowed to book a better view due to having the 6 people, even though it wouldn't have mattered since we didn't need the daybed anyway >:(. I would have much rather had a better view - it's irritating that we couldn't, yet still didn't get a daybed in the room that would have allowed the 5 people. But we were in a unique group, with 2 under 3 in the room. (I just prefer to have a daybed in the room even if we don't need it for sleeping, to give a sitting area other than the bed. I really did not care for our BC SV CL room with no daybed, a corner blocked out due to the architecture of the building, a regular hinged door to the balcony instead of a sliding glass door, and roman blinds instead of curtains).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter