Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the FB search bar, type Humphrey's Lodge and the option for the Unofficial page will come up! ;)

I was just about to ask and saw that you answered. Thanks...I'm checking it out now!
I'll be thrilled if both Roaring Forks and the Cubs Den are done by October (for sure the first one should be.)

Ugh... I am having such a hard time deciding between WL and AKL for our trip next year! I was leaning towards AKL but I just took a look at that page on FB and now I'm back to square one. :confused3:rotfl:

Ugh... I am having such a hard time deciding between WL and AKL for our trip next year! I was leaning towards AKL but I just took a look at that page on FB and now I'm back to square one. :confused3:rotfl:
That was us as well a few months back. We decided to get out of the carribean beach disaster and try something else. Went with WL and I'm so excited about it. First off I feel you're closer to most parks than AKL. There's a boat to MK. And also the contemporary which helps us because we love to eat there and at the poly and that's just a short monorail trip away. I also felt AKL seemed larger and more widespread which means more walking...which is fine...and I'd still like to stay there at some point. But yea WL all the way for us this time. Especially with everything new opening. Happy planning!

That was us as well a few months back. We decided to get out of the carribean beach disaster and try something else. Went with WL and I'm so excited about it. First off I feel you're closer to most parks than AKL. There's a boat to MK. And also the contemporary which helps us because we love to eat there and at the poly and that's just a short monorail trip away. I also felt AKL seemed larger and more widespread which means more walking...which is fine...and I'd still like to stay there at some point. But yea WL all the way for us this time. Especially with everything new opening. Happy planning!
I pretty much had all of the same thoughts as you. I love the idea of having coffee in the morning and watching the animals, but the distance from the parks isn't very appealing(neither is the food TBH). Also the price is better for WL than ALK Savanna view or other deluxes... I mean, we can basically stay Club Level at WL for what the upgraded views cost at the other resorts.

My husband basically told me "Whatever you want" since it's our 10 year anniversary trip, which is AWESOME!...... But also torturous for such an indecisive(and fairly cheap :duck:) person. First world problems I suppose...

The best view at WL, in my opinion, is a fireworks view. And those rooms are standard view. The best views at AKL would be savannah, which is not the cheapest. ;)

I think most of us on this thread are biased. :)

The best view at WL, in my opinion, is a fireworks view. And those rooms are standard view. The best views at AKL would be savannah, which is not the cheapest. ;)

I think most of us on this thread are biased. :)
That's good to know. I had no idea you could see fireworks from WL! Thank you :)

Any sugggested room numbers? Or can you point in the direction of a thread with such information?

That's good to know. I had no idea you could see fireworks from WL! Thank you :)

Any sugggested room numbers? Or can you point in the direction of a thread with such information?
There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about good fireworks views. If you go back through the thread, you'll see pictures that people have posted of their fireworks views. :) The best views are in the wing closest to the boat dock and in rooms on the 4th floor or higher. Many of the rooms in the middle section of the resort have good fireworks views, too. The rooms over the lobby have trees in the way, although you can see some fireworks through the trees.

One of the very best views is out of the hallway windows near the elevator in the north wing. In fact, if you don't have a good balcony view and don't want to go down to Geyser Point, then this is a good spot to see them.

You can also see the fireworks from the shore next to Geyser Point, although it isn't the best view. They pipe in the music there, which makes it worth the trip. :)

One of the very best views is out of the hallway windows near the elevator in the north wing. In fact, if you don't have a good balcony view and don't want to go down to Geyser Point, then this is a good spot to see them.

It's funny, when I stayed back in November I walked by that corner a bunch of times. Not sure if they are like this on all floors, but on the 7th the blinds are fixed and usually closed. One day I stopped and opened the blinds and found the most amazing MK view below, I had no idea! They really should take the blinds off those windows now that this is such a good view!

Note this was 11/2016... construction is much further along now.
View from 7th floor Windows.jpeg

It's funny, when I stayed back in November I walked by that corner a bunch of times. Not sure if they are like this on all floors, but on the 7th the blinds are fixed and usually closed. One day I stopped and opened the blinds and found the most amazing MK view below, I had no idea! They really should take the blinds off those windows now that this is such a good view!
I looked out the window on the 5th floor during the fireworks and I was surprised to see how good the view was. You could even see the shorter "cannon" fireworks, the ones that shoot up from the ground. There are wooden shutters over these windows on all the floors, but I've never had a CM yell at me when I've opened them. :)

We are getting to the hotel early before check in. If we swim for a while, is there a place to shower off afterwards if our room isn't ready but we want to head to the parks/dinner?

I'm trying to book WL for 12/9/17-12/14/17 and there's no availability. But they still have rooms available for the week of Thanksgiving and Christmas! Could Disney be holding some rooms or do you think it's really sold out for early December?

I'm trying to book WL for 12/9/17-12/14/17 and there's no availability. But they still have rooms available for the week of Thanksgiving and Christmas! Could Disney be holding some rooms or do you think it's really sold out for early December?
The WL is very popular at Christmas time and it is probably sold out. And now that they turned half the resort rooms into DVC units, it will probably get sold out frequently.

For those who have asked about the re-opening of Cub's Den, the only "info." I've found is that it's "closed through 2017."

Someone left the door open at Roaring Fork so I took a couple of quick pics.

B4B6E04B-5732-42BD-95F2-97E59BE1262D_zpsxolndw7u.jpg

A83EAEC5-91F2-4753-BCDE-BD3341CAAF8F_zpshmej50ce.jpg

Thank you for posting your spy photos, @elaw!

So incredibly excited to be returning again to my favorite resort!! We'll be back 8/7-8/12, our first club level stay, and also the first time for our 2 DS's staying at WL as our previous visits were just DH and I. Can't wait for them to experience the Lodge!!!

Congratulations, @ariane37! I'll log your dates.

We just returned from a wonderful stay at Wilderness Lodge (BRV section) and I can now say, I see why so many people love it! We were in room 1502, so directly inside the door closest to the bus stop! And our patio was facing the section of the Lodge that I believe is yet to be opened? We LOVED our room location. At first I was bummed about the 1st floor, as we do enjoy our balcony quite a bit. But the ease of getting to everything quickly made up for it! Even on the first floor, it was still very private, and quite wooded around that area. And oh, the lobbies.... we actually didn't even go to the lobby part of BRV until about day 3, but it is so nice and cozy. I am in LOVE!

Our experiences with the buses were wonderful. They were quick and efficient and it didn't seem like we waited long for any location. And because of our easy our room was to get to, we never even attempted the boat to MK. My 9 year old daughter has a little anxiety about boats in general, so it worked our perfectly for us. Sometimes we shared with Contemp, and sometimes with Ft Wilderness, but I couldn't really pick up a pattern, rhyme or reason. We never shared on the way to a park first thing in the AM.

We loved the pool and the kids splash area. I think this was their favorite out of any resort we've tried. We took advantage of seeing the Water Parade and the outdoor movies one night. Geyser Point had yummy food, and was always quick and fresh. MUCH preferred over the chaos of the value resort food courts we have experienced in the past. The cast members we encountered all around the resort were so wonderful. We had quite a bit of rain, and my girls loved playing games and coloring with the activities staff inside the lobby during our mid day breaks. We also loved Pin trading in the lobby! We did get the cute little set of construction pins in our room when we checked in.

I literally can not think of one little thing that would have made our stay any better. It was so wonderful!!!! Thank you to this board for all the helpful tips and hints about this beautiful resort!!!

Thank you for posting about your stay, @laceyinwonderland :)

We are officially booked! August 11-18, 2018! We're doing a family trip with my brother's family - their first! - and I'm sooooo excited for all the kids to be there together! Woooohooooo!

What fun! I'll add your dates to our log, @dubskates.

Would you consider DVC @ Wilderness Lodge ? Copper Creek Villas or Boulder Ridge (VWL) Villas ? I just checked on the Disney website, and both have availability for those dates: CCV all but the Grand Villas, and BRV has 1 and 2 bedrooms available.

We are staying for some of the same nights [Dec 9-12], at CCV. Price-wise, booking "cash" directly with Disney: WL Courtyard View was $433/night vs a CCV Studio is $483/night [price varies, that is the average for our 3 nights: 463, 489, 489]. Note this is rack rate as there is no room only discount available yet, and for CCV I am guessing there probably won't be at all since it has been excluded from all the others for summer and fall [but also not actually listed as an exclusion... strange... it is almost like they forgot about it, or aren't allowed to list it since it isn't open yet].

CCV villas are in what was the south wing of the WL hotel, so inside the main building. We were willing to pay the extra ~$50 a night to try it out [we changed from a WL CY view reservation to CCV as soon as CCV became available to book for cash]. I was particularly happy to discover the "wood" floors as that will be very helpful with our allergies, and I am looking forward to the fancy showerheads that come with the walk-in-shower studio. It will be our first time staying at a DVC resort, and if we don't like it we'll just go back to WL proper for future trips :-)

SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!