Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is WL Old Faithful Club still under refurbishment? Still in a temporary location? Thanks!

Last edited:
I really want to throw a toddler temper tantrum over this. I never realized my love for trees until someone started taking them all away :(
Get an end room, the x002 and x003 rooms I believe...They have some tree views with a slight view of Bay Lake...Just make sure not to get the 1st or 2nd floor, otherwise your balcony is not all that great

Get an end room, the x002 and x003 rooms I believe...They have some tree views with a slight view of Bay Lake...Just make sure not to get the 1st or 2nd floor, otherwise your balcony is not all that great

We own at VWL so we won't be staying in the main lodge again. Although we may once CCV opens. I am optimistic they will plant more landscaping once the construction is complete but I know it won't be what it used to. Call me crazy but I just prefer woods view over lake view.

Hi there. I posted my pics over on the Club Level thread back in December - here's a link to where they start, note they were over several posts/days: Disney's Club Level (CL) Information and Questions

Thanks @pepperandchips :wave2:
Loved your pics. Makes me really want to stay CL again. We loved our CL stay at WL in the past. It's our anniversary and I really should change our room. The one thing stopping me? I dislike the solid balcony. It's the one thing I disliked and it's strong enough a dislike for me to really hesitate booking here again. Loved everything else though.

I have been going for years and I tell them I am blind and have a service dog, what they write down I don't know. But I don't fully understand why they could not write it, not due to privacy. I assume anyone asking for a w/c room would be associated with having a need for a w/c or mobility. I assume that anyone requesting a hearing room would be associated as being a person hard of hearing or deaf. Disney does not follow federal law and have specific room for blind (although I have not seen anyone who does), federal law states that blind need a barrier free room. I know I for one have explained to Disney, 1000 times what that means, but they have no clue and keep wanting to put me in a w/c because they feel those are barrier free, I explain that barrier free w/c does not mean barrier free for a blind person. And that barrier free to me may not mean barrier free to your husband. So anyway, I ask for disability services, and then I have a 30 minute conversation about what my expectations are, and I learn a lot, do you know Disney has almost no rooms at all facing east, I won't say none, but believe me there is almost none. Why because the sun raising in the east and sets in the west, so me as a blind person who has a little sight in am, wants a room facing east with double windows, so far, I have yet to find one at Disney, because they don't want them facing east because the sun blinding you is not what most people want. Anyway, I explain to them exactly what I want, a room facing east, a room on ground floor, a room within a few steps of an exit, a room that you do not have to walk more than two hallways to get to, a room that does not have trees, hedges, wraught iron fences, fences or such right outside that you need to crawl thru little paths to get to (think POFQ), I ask for someone to walk to to the room, show me how to work the slinging door, how to walk to the exit, how to use the phone, safe and coffee pot. I than tell them that as a reasonable accommodation each hotel should have all directions on a tape recorder to give to blind persons, this would be a cheap reasonable accommodation, it has been 9 years asking and they still don't have it. I can tell you which hotels listen and work with me, I have even been called by several Disney resorts before my visit and have had great staff, that said I have had very poor also. POFQ, went above and beyond, everything was perfect, we had the last room building two right near the boat dock and pool. It was perfect, they were afraid because they could not get me closer to lobby, but I told them walking does not matter, having two windows, having a straight path down the street to the end and then the first door was pernfect. Also WLV or BRV now did wonderful, actually Disney vacation club did wonderful, whomever I talked to called all five villas I was staying at and they all did wonderful, and called me back if they could not accommodate, like AKL has no ground floor, we worked it out to a room, right next to an elevator and it was great, they also have no real grass and no where for a dog to potty, but staff walked me to a place every time I asked where the dog could potty, they went above and beyond at all villas. Even go as far as to ask on my ressies to but a garbage can on the porch for me to place the dog baggies after I clean up, and everyone has done it. BWV told me when I got there they had an emergency and the room they had for me was no longer available, they wanted to walk me to another room and see if it would work, I said fine, they had upgraded me to a 1 bedroom because they said it was the only one open close to an exit and they wanted me near an exit as requested, but was afraid that it was the far away from lobby, I said no it was perfect. Now the two worse, POR and BC, POR I fell in the river, they put me in Peirrie building or however you say it, so fartherst away, in the back, on the third floor. I could not find the building or elevator, or room or bus, or way back to lobby. They moved us two days later. BC, worst place in WDW, filthy dirty hall ways, trash thrown in hallways tripping over it. Lots and lots of curves and corners and such. I will say manager did her best with some things, she even took a map of hallways and sown thread in the map so I could feel the way the hallways were, very good, but after 4 days they moved us to contemporary. I will say no one has mad a tape recorder of how things work, which I would love, I hate that they have to read me menus for the most part. But if you tell them what needs you have and make sure they write it on your ressies, I find that for the most part they go above and beyond to accommodate. I go Disney a lot solo, or with a DGD who is now 11. I tell them, up until now I can not count on an 11 yo who is excited to get me around, so this is what I need to be independent, I ask nicely, and I explain in terms they understand exactly what I need. Also, you may have to remind them nicely, that some of there suggestions are not reasonable accommodations, like cast members who say but you have family who can read where the exit it, yes true but you are accommodating me, not me accommodating you, you don't tell the family of a w/c person that they have family that can carry them upstairs, you put an elevator in. You don't tell a deaf person that family can interpret, no you get an interpreter. So I know my family can when they are with me, read for me, but law says you need to accommodate not my family, and if I travel alone I don't have family. I will say, Disney needs improvement, but they do a good job and over time I have learned exactly what to ask for rather than say barrier free room, which they don't understand for blind persons. And lastly, every time I go weather they writ sit down or not, the managers know I am blind, they always are waiting for me, they are always ready to bring me to my room, the great me outside most of the time when the DME pulls up, or right inside at the front desk. Even if my room is not ready, they are still there to meet me. These are things I don't ask for, but Disney goes out of there way in many areas. So I do believe they write down I am blind.

I know I am a bit late to respond to this point but I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience. With as accommodating as Disney is with so many people, it seems like they have missed the mark for the visually impaired. I am glad you have a voice that you continuously share with them and while it doesn't seem like they have made changes on a company level, the more feedback they get, the more likely it is to happen. Sounds like you have had a positive experience at WL. Of the interactions I have had with the WL managers and front desk staff, I have been very pleased. Good luck on your next trip. Do you follow Humphrey on Facebook? I wonder if he has more specific room information to share with you if you are still trying to find room types to request during the construction.

Loved your pics. Makes me really want to stay CL again. We loved our CL stay at WL in the past. It's our anniversary and I really should change our room. The one thing stopping me? I dislike the solid balcony. It's the one thing I disliked and it's strong enough a dislike for me to really hesitate booking here again. Loved everything else though.
I feel exactly the same way. We tried club level last January but hated the enclosed balcony. It didn't help that we were in the last cl room, closest to the main building. I would consider cl again only if I was guaranteed an open balcony on another floor.

Is there any indication when the main bank of elevators will reopen, the ones across from the gift shop ?

Thanks

The woods view category will be back in 2018. I was able to price out my vacation through the UK website and it gives me the woods view option starting from Jan 2018 on.
Do you remember if the woods view less than the courtyard view?

Is there any indication when the main bank of elevators will reopen, the ones across from the gift shop ?

Thanks
The elevators won't be opened until the construction in the south wing is finished. There isn't an official date yet but it isn't expected to be done until much later in the year or possibly in 2018.

Do you remember if the woods view less than the courtyard view?
Yes, woods view was less than courtyard view.

Which is funny since trees aren't going to change between now and then. Either they are there now or they aren't.

My guess is even though newly planted trees will be small, it will no longer be a construction of cabins view. So some trees, cabin rooves, partial lake and Magic Kingdom views with more tree views as they grow but no more diggers and trucks.

My guess is even though newly planted trees will be small, it will no longer be a construction of cabins view. So some trees, cabin rooves, partial lake and Magic Kingdom views with more tree views as they grow but no more diggers and trucks.

That is my guess on the return of woods view. MK facing but without the potential for a service area or roof etc that was how standard was defined in the past.

ChristianR were there any new categories or just the return of Woods View?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter