Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a studio at the VWL booked for 11 nights at the end of June. This will be our first time staying at a deluxe resort. The idea of construction didn't seem like an issue initially when I booked since the CM told me the only closure was the leisure pool, which was fine since we would use the main pool anyway. However, reading through this thread, it appears to be much more. We booked using the Disney Visa discount, and no other resorts with rooms for 5 are available with that discount. I'm not very familiar with the resort and its layout, other than the map, so if anyone could answer a few questions to help us decide whether to book something else or not, I would really appreciate it.
-I read that the beach is closed, and the outdoor movies/marshmallow roast is something my kids were definitely looking forward to. I see the movies are now inside the VWL. Can anyone describe what this is like? Is it just a conference room where you sit on the floor and watch a movie?
- Due to construction, is the walk from the Villas to the boat launch much longer or inconvenient? (Approx. how long?)
- Is there any chance the boat rentals will be open by June?
- What are the pool parties?
- What studio Villas would have the most convenient location and/or best view?
- To get to the main pool and boat launch, do you need to walk through what looks like a tunnel to the resort and through the lobby, or is there another path?
- Are the busses shared with any other resorts, or is it direct to the parks?
- Would it make sense to take the boat to CR or MK and then a monorail to TTC to get to Epcot, or is it much faster to take the bus?

We have a studio at the VWL booked for 11 nights at the end of June. This will be our first time staying at a deluxe resort. The idea of construction didn't seem like an issue initially when I booked since the CM told me the only closure was the leisure pool, which was fine since we would use the main pool anyway. However, reading through this thread, it appears to be much more. We booked using the Disney Visa discount, and no other resorts with rooms for 5 are available with that discount. I'm not very familiar with the resort and its layout, other than the map, so if anyone could answer a few questions to help us decide whether to book something else or not, I would really appreciate it.
-I read that the beach is closed, and the outdoor movies/marshmallow roast is something my kids were definitely looking forward to. I see the movies are now inside the VWL. Can anyone describe what this is like? Is it just a conference room where you sit on the floor and watch a movie?
- Due to construction, is the walk from the Villas to the boat launch much longer or inconvenient? (Approx. how long?)
- Is there any chance the boat rentals will be open by June?
- What are the pool parties?
- What studio Villas would have the most convenient location and/or best view?
- To get to the main pool and boat launch, do you need to walk through what looks like a tunnel to the resort and through the lobby, or is there another path?
- Are the busses shared with any other resorts, or is it direct to the parks?
- Would it make sense to take the boat to CR or MK and then a monorail to TTC to get to Epcot, or is it much faster to take the bus?
Welcome to WL. Hopefully you will find that there are a number of great things about this resort, which is why so many of us love it.

To answer some of your questions:
- The walk from the Villas to the transportation boat dock isn't a whole lot longer now, but you only have one option as you can not go around the South wing of the main resort like you used to be able to. I would estimate it at a 5 minute or less walk at a normal pace.
- I don't expect the boat rental dock to reopen this summer, but in the mean time the rentals at FW and CR are still open, so you can hop on a boat and head to either resort to rent boats. That's our plan.
- In the afternoons most WDW resorts have "Activities" staff lead kids in events with music at the main pool. This generates some noise that many find undesirable, but it is generally only mid-day and only by the main pool.
- I don't have any information on villas room locations, but in general they don't vary as much as in the main building.
- Yes, you would walk through the covered walkway from the Villas into the main Lodge lobby, then down the ramp past Artist Point to the pool level and then down to the boats.
- You should check out the transportation section for bus info and times, but in general MK buses are not shared but DHS and AK buses tend to share with the Grand Floridian on the way to parks and Epcot buses share with Fort Wilderness on the way to the park and all three share with Fort WIlderness on the way back, but WL is the first stop.
- The boat to CR to monorail to Epcot is fun, but does take longer than the direct bus. Even the MK boat is slower than the MK buses, but prettier and more fun.

Happy planning!

Welcome to WL. Hopefully you will find that there are a number of great things about this resort, which is why so many of us love it.

To answer some of your questions:
- The walk from the Villas to the transportation boat dock isn't a whole lot longer now, but you only have one option as you can not go around the South wing of the main resort like you used to be able to. I would estimate it at a 5 minute or less walk at a normal pace.
- I don't expect the boat rental dock to reopen this summer, but in the mean time the rentals at FW and CR are still open, so you can hop on a boat and head to either resort to rent boats. That's our plan.
- In the afternoons most WDW resorts have "Activities" staff lead kids in events with music at the main pool. This generates some noise that many find undesirable, but it is generally only mid-day and only by the main pool.
- I don't have any information on villas room locations, but in general they don't vary as much as in the main building.
- Yes, you would walk through the covered walkway from the Villas into the main Lodge lobby, then down the ramp past Artist Point to the pool level and then down to the boats.
- You should check out the transportation section for bus info and times, but in general MK buses are not shared but DHS and AK buses tend to share with the Grand Floridian on the way to parks and Epcot buses share with Fort Wilderness on the way to the park and all three share with Fort WIlderness on the way back, but WL is the first stop.
- The boat to CR to monorail to Epcot is fun, but does take longer than the direct bus. Even the MK boat is slower than the MK buses, but prettier and more fun.

Happy planning!

Thank you so much for all that helpful information! Do you know anything about how the movies are done at the Villas now? And are you allowed to do the campfire at the CR, or is that only for guests of that resort?

Any room recommendations for WL "courtyard view" in April? Based on looking at the map, with the south wing closed, I'm guessing there is no chance to see fireworks from CY view? The next priority would be quietness as we will have a 2y/o who will NEED a nap each day:)

Thank you so much for all that helpful information! Do you know anything about how the movies are done at the Villas now? And are you allowed to do the campfire at the CR, or is that only for guests of that resort?
I haven't been to the movies inside at VWL, but I would say that your assumption is probably correct. It is inside and the room isn't huge. You can go take advantage of the movies at any other resort though, and CR or FW are a short boat ride away.

Any room recommendations for WL "courtyard view" in April? Based on looking at the map, with the south wing closed, I'm guessing there is no chance to see fireworks from CY view? The next priority would be quietness as we will have a 2y/o who will NEED a nap each day:)
I agree that a fireworks courtyard view isn't going to happen in the North wing, but there are other places you can see them from. As far as a quiet location goes, I would request a high floor and maybe in the West end of the wing near upper Silver Creek springs to be a little further from pool noise. Requesting "quiet location" might work well too.

Last edited:
Movies are in the carol wood pacific room in the VWL

Basically just set up in a side portion of the lobby in the VWL

Actually quite cozy though and kids enjoyed it this past TG

My nephew and I were planing to be the Poly this week and had booked another visit to th WL in August.

I am so sad to tell you that my Adam passed away last Friday afternoon it was sudden and so unexpected. He was 34 yrs old with special needs. Adam brought joy and laughter to everyone he met and our family will never be the same.

I will love and miss him all the days of my life. I can't iamgine ever returning to Disney without him.

That is too sad for words. My condolences to you and your family. There may come a time in the distant future when Disney will give you warm and happy memories instead of pain, but I know that I would feel the same way. So very sorry.

My nephew and I were planing to be the Poly this week and had booked another visit to th WL in August.

I am so sad to tell you that my Adam passed away last Friday afternoon it was sudden and so unexpected. He was 34 yrs old with special needs. Adam brought joy and laughter to everyone he met and our family will never be the same.

I will love and miss him all the days of my life. I can't iamgine ever returning to Disney without him.
I'm so sorry to hear about Adam. We met him in Oct 2014 and he seemed like such a gentle soul. This is just so sad. :(

I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope you will gradually be able to smile when you think of him instead of cry.

Just got back from our stay WL! We did a split stay, a few nights at Poly first, and then WL. Even with half the resort down, we still enjoyed our WL stay the most! I have always found the WL staff to be much more pleasant and approachable than the Poly staff (totally my opinion!!). I am very grateful for this thread, as I would have had no idea what was going on. We stayed Club Level, which is now basically just a hallway. The staff was so apologetic, but it really wasn't a big deal to us (and again, I was prepared thanks to you guys). We would take snacks and drinks back to our room anyway.

I only had my phone to take pictures, so I apologize for the quality. We had a courtyard view, which is not exempt from construction noise/view. The earliest we heard construction sounds was 8:45am. The Water Electrical Parade was actually MUCH louder!

24857405895_8f718f21b7.jpg

We have stayed before at Poly when the main pool and lobby were under construction. We have stayed at WL when the main pool and courtyard area were under construction. Out of all of those stays, this construction was the least disruptive. The lobby is still as beautiful as ever, and there were less crowds! There was only one elevator to use, but we hardly ever had to wait longer than one elevator load. The courtyard was as awe-inspiring as ever!

24739545962_e9eeb773ed.jpg

24763978321_a1ba29cfe6.jpg

The last one is a video, but not sure it will work.

Transportation to MK was so easy! I got stuck on the monorail for 20 minutes when staying at Poly. Never had a problem like that with the boats!
24489818779_3611d915cb.jpg

24739549932_7375d91f90.jpg

I hope this is helpful for anyone debating whether to stay or not!

BTWubs - One of my biggest gripes with WL was the lack of espresso/iced coffee options. I am happy to say Territory Lounge now offers fancy coffee drinks until 11am!

Lsdolphin: Praying for comfort during this incredibly difficult time for you and your family. Very sorry for your loss.

ElenaJane: Thanks for the great trip report! Awesome to hear you enjoyed your WL stay. It's making me even more excited for our April trip.

I'm so sorry to hear about Adam. We met him in Oct 2014 and he seemed like such a gentle soul. This is just so sad. :(

Adam was a son to me. he has been with me for 25 years I can't believe he has been gone for 8 days we have never been apart more more than 5 days when he went to a special camp. We enjoyed meeting you....I wish you many wonderful trips with your family...

Adam was a son to me. he has been with me for 25 years I can't believe he has been gone for 8 days we have never been apart more more than 5 days when he went to a special camp. We enjoyed meeting you....I wish you many wonderful trips with your family...
My heart breaks for you. So very sorry for your loss. :( :(

Hugs to you during this time. Disney World may be the last thing on your mind during this difficult time but "this to shall pass". My young (then 24 years old) DD lost her husband in 2009. They honeymooned at DW and vacationed there one other time during their to short married life. She felt the same way. The year her husband passed away her Daddy took her to DC/New York for a week's vacation while myself and her sister and family went to DW. A year later, she was ready to go back. We made it a family trip with my sister and niece joining us and it was SO good for her. We arrived on what would have been their anniversary and her sister had a small Eeyore waiting for her at the BWI upon arrival; Eeyore was her husband's favorite Disney character. :goodvibes She carried him with her the entire trip and said it felt "right"; she knew her DH was "watching her" enjoy, through the eyes of her young nieces, the pure joy of Disney. While it may seem impossible to believe during this time, keep your heart open and know that "joy of Disney" will be waiting for you when you feel ready to return. :grouphug: :tink:

Hugs to you during this time. Disney World may be the last thing on your mind during this difficult time but "this to shall pass". My young (then 24 years old) DD lost her husband in 2009. They honeymooned at DW and vacationed there one other time during their to short married life. She felt the same way. The year her husband passed away her Daddy took her to DC/New York for a week's vacation while myself and her sister and family went to DW. A year later, she was ready to go back. We made it a family trip with my sister and niece joining us and it was SO good for her. We arrived on what would have been their anniversary and her sister had a small Eeyore waiting for her at the BWI upon arrival; Eeyore was her husband's favorite Disney character. :goodvibes She carried him with her the entire trip and said it felt "right"; she knew her DH was "watching her" enjoy, through the eyes of her young nieces, the pure joy of Disney. While it may seem impossible to believe during this time, keep your heart open and know that "joy of Disney" will be waiting for you when you feel ready to return. :grouphug: :tink:

Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!