Disney's trip insurance

molly2004

DIS Veteran
Does anyone get the trip insurance that Disney offers? Is it comprehensive? Am considering it since I'm planning a trip during hurricane season.

Thanks in advance!

We got it on our package (also hurriciane season) because last year we got caught in the tail end of it. We worried that we couldn't get a flight then. It was only $89.90 and the entire price (less ins) is refundable.

My mother recieved a full refund when she had to cancel her September vacation due to the sudden loss of my brother in August. She did have to jump through a few hoops but she did finally get the money returned to her credit card. I had thought she was crazy for purchasing that insurance but this proved to me that you never can lull yourself into believing that unexpected bad things only happen to other people... I have become a believer in trip insurance myself.
When you ask if it's comprehensive are you asking if they will refund your money for a situation like a hurricane?

I asked today while I was making a reservation and I was told that Disneys Insurance does not cover 'acts of god' ie: Hurricanes. When I asked what would happen if there were a hurricane when we were supposed to be there she said don't worry WDW would take care of you. Not sure what that means!! Anyways, trip insurance is good for illness, death that sort of thing but not Mother Nature's 'treats'!! I don't know of any policies that do cover weather cancellations -Anyone?

With a room only ressie, you can cancel with no penalty up to 6 days before your trip. Usually, not always, but often, big bad storms can be detected 6 days in advance (not always I know!).

That much money is insane for us to spend on a trip that is only costing us $248 for 3 nights in August so we figure we will just cancel if 6 days prior comes and big bad storms are on the horizon and re-book for another time. We'll take the hit on the airfare.

I was in Disney last September for one of the Hurricanes. We were supposed to leave Saturday at 4:00 PM and the airport was closed at 12:00 PM. We did not have insurance but I don't think I heard of anyone that had anything covered anyway so I didn't regret it. We couldn't leave Orlando until Tuesday. Disney made sure we had a place to stay and they warned us ahead of time they would be closing the main building which lasted 24 hours. They brought out lunch pack type of things with non-perishable items that they were selling. As I remember, the extra three days cost us close to $800. Disney gave us an their lowest available rate on the room (which was an AP rate but we did not have an AP). We also had a car rental and food bills for four. All in all, it was not a good way to end a vacation but I am planning on returning again this year during the same week. I figure (hope) that chances are low a hurricane will hit again during the same exact time!

Thanks for all of your input. My thought was that the insurance would cover the trip if it had to be cancelled because of a hurricane. I was way off on this.

I also thought that if you were stuck in the position of le9397, the insurance would have covered the $800 that was lost due to the hurricane coming through. Is that true? le9397, when you had to rebook your flight home after the storm, did you have to pay full fare or was the airline at least a little sympathetic?

Also, Esmeraldax, I assume that the ability to cancel so close to the trip would be the advantage of booking your room separate from your tickets, right? If I'm not mistaken, you lose your package deposit if you cancel within one month of your trip.

So much to learn!

Thanks again!

I just booked my package last night and was told that the insurance would cover us in the event of a hurricane 9among other things like unexpected illness or death etc) and was also told that I had until 6 days before the trip to cancel without losing my $200 deposit. :confused3
Maybe I should call back to verify.

molly2004 said:
I also thought that if you were stuck in the position of le9397, the insurance would have covered the $800 that was lost due to the hurricane coming through. Is that true? le9397, when you had to rebook your flight home after the storm, did you have to pay full fare or was the airline at least a little sympathetic?

Hi Molly ~

I did not have to pay the airline anything. They cancelled our flights so they were liable to get us home on another flight as soon as possible. Our costs were all related to us being stuck in Orlando for the extra days. I don't think insurance companies were paying out anything for people in my situation. Maybe some other people can offer their experiences. I do recall at the time we were glad we didn't bother with the insurance since it would not have done us any good. Hope this helps some.

If there is insurance that would cover hurricanes I would certainly be interested since I am going back this August.

Lisa

I went to the booking website and went all the way through to the point where you can get insurance or not and clicked on the link for insurance information. This policy is underwritten through Insure America. It states Natual Disaster as a flood, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, or blizzard that is due to natural causes. Under the Section Trip Cancellation and Interruption it states:
The insurer will pay this benefit up to the Maximum Limit shown on the Schedule of Benefits if an Insured is precented from taking the Trip due to any of the following unforeseen reasons: a Sickness, Injury, or death of an Insured, Immediate Family member, Traveling companion or Business Partner, Injury or Sickness must be so disabling as to reasonable cause a Trip to be canceled or interrupted; b) Inclement Weather or the occurence of a NATUAL DISASTER that causes complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or destination.

Trip Interruption Benefits: The Insurer will pay this benefit up to the Maximum Limit shown on the Schedule of Benefits for Trips that have been interrupted due to the reasons shown at the beginning of this section. If he insured is unable to continue the trip due to any of the covered reasons, the Company will reimburse the Insured for the 1)unused, non-refundable travel arrangements prepaid to the Travel Supplier.

This sounds to me to be only the travel portion of the trip. There is an 800 # for more details 1-800-826-3899.
Hope this helps

The CM member who talked me into getting the insurance said "Don't forget it is hurricane season"................So now I hear it doesn't cover hurricanes?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I have almost always booked room only because it tends to be cheaper for us since we have APs, and even when we didn't we look for room only codes. I think you lose the package deposit, but I'm not sure at what point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!