Disney's 'The Lion King' Becomes History's Top-Grossing Entertainment Title

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
From The Hollywood Reporter:

Disney's 'The Lion King' Becomes History's Top-Grossing Entertainment Title
8:12 AM PST 09/22/2014 by David Rooney

The Julie Taymor-directed production has earned $6.2 billion in worldwide box office to date

Just under a year ago, Disney's The Lion King became the first Broadway production to cross the $1 billion mark. Now the globally successful stage musical has become the highest-earning entertainment property in history in any medium, with a worldwide gross of $6.2 billion.

The Associated Press reported on Monday that Julie Taymor's unstoppable production, which opened on Broadway in 1997 and has been playing to capacity houses in New York, on tour and in international engagements ever since, has nabbed the top spot from another long-running musical, Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera. That show's global haul stands at $6 billion.

Its cumulative worldwide box office places The Lion King way ahead of history's top-grossing film, Avatar, which earned $2.8 billion, as well as other blockbusters like Titanic or any of the individual Star Wars or Harry Potter titles.

Taymor's Broadway production won six Tony Awards in 1998, including best musical and direction. According to data compiled by Disney, the show has now been seen by more than 75 million people in 22 global productions.

The $6.2 billion total does not include additional revenue streams, such as merchandise or CDs. Nor does it include grosses for the 1994 animated feature that spawned the stage musical, which has notched up worldwide box office of $987.5 million.

"It's difficult not to become emotional at this realization of the show's impact," said Thomas Schumacher, president and producer at Disney Theatrical Productions, recalling the musical's path from four downtown New York rehearsal rooms in May 1997.

"Our goal then was to tell the story purely and theatrically so that audiences could feel it in their hearts. And, to this day, that is the audience experience whether they see the show in Madrid; Appleton, Wisconsin; South Africa; Tokyo or Broadway. Of that, we are deeply proud."

There are currently 10 productions of The Lion King playing around the world, including New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg and the North American tour.

The Broadway production has shown increased attendance in four of the last five years, while London revenues have climbed 6 percent in the same period, and the most recent North American tour is up by 11 percent.

1) We saw it in London and thought it was good.
2) Not as enamored in/with it as others are, but it WAS a good show.
3) And, as expensive as London is, the show was actually cheaper than on Broadway!

I wonder how it stacks up (money wise) against Shakespeare's most popular work? LOL, well I guess since Lion King is basically Macbeth, it should be counted for Willy?
And of course the Asian studio that Disney plagiarized the concept, themes and art from won't see a penny...

I wonder how it stacks up (money wise) against Shakespeare's most popular work? LOL, well I guess since Lion King is basically Macbeth, it should be counted for Willy?
And of course the Asian studio that Disney plagiarized the concept, themes and art from won't see a penny...

So did Disney steal it from Shakespeare?........or this Willy?
or the unnamed, never heard about Asian studio?

AKK

Actually it's Hamlet.

So did Disney steal it from Shakespeare?........or this Willy?
or the unnamed, never heard about Asian studio?

AKK

Willy = William, as in Shakespeare.
The Asian studio is Tezuka Productions in Japan.
Everyone steals from Shakespeare, but that is fine as it is eminent domain. Just saying that after 400 years of Romeo and Juliet (or Hamlet, whatever is his most popular production) probably has netted more than the Lion King.

Everyone steals from Shakespeare, but that is fine as it is eminent domain. Just saying that after 400 years of Romeo and Juliet (or Hamlet, whatever is his most popular production) probably has netted more than the Lion King.

Actually it's public domain.

As Boris said old Willy's work is public domain so even if you want to try and match up LK to Willy's work(which is far fetched at best).......its not stealing. However using that word with Disney does give attention if not believe to posts.

I found about this Tezuka??? You say stolen, yet a blog piece seemly favoring the Tezuka studio, says there is great questions over the US rights to the Kimba white lion story with various parties in legal fights over the right including Disney, so if they were trying to get the legal mess cleared up , that's not stealing either. Not to mention the blog piece does admit the story line is VERY different but based on the art work that is similar.Seems there is still question marks over it all.

If Disney does no have he rights now, why is the shorts and the highly profitable theater play been stopped? Again showing the use of stealing not proper.

My point here is throwing around the word stealing ......especially on highly questionable information and legal grounds is not a good idea.

Just my opinion.....

AKK

As Boris said old Willy's work is public domain so even if you want to try and match up LK to Willy's work(which is far fetched at best).......its not stealing. However using that word with Disney does give attention if not believe to posts.

I found about this Tezuka??? You say stolen, yet a blog piece seemly favoring the Tezuka studio, says there is great questions over the US rights to the Kimba white lion story with various parties in legal fights over the right including Disney, so if they were trying to get the legal mess cleared up , that's not stealing either. Not to mention the blog piece does admit the story line is VERY different but based on the art work that is similar.Seems there is still question marks over it all.

If Disney does no have he rights now, why is the shorts and the highly profitable theater play been stopped? Again showing the use of stealing not proper.

My point here is throwing around the word stealing ......especially on highly questionable information and legal grounds is not a good idea.

Just my opinion.....

AKK

Again, my original post said nothing about stealing from Shakespeare. My point is the article might be incorrect in stating that the Lion King is "the highest-earning entertainment property in history in any medium, with a worldwide gross of $6.2 billion".
I'm betting that 400 years of R&J or Hamlet have out grossed that 6.2b figure (inflation and currency adjusted of course).

As for whether throwing around the word "stealing", backed with "questionable information", is too strong a word in regards to Tezuka Productions? Considering this an informal rumors and news forum, in my opinion it isn't. Especially considering you were the first to throw it around first with the word "steal", I said "plagiarized".
While the plot of "Kimba the White Lion" may be closer to Madagascar (in some regards) the similarities in artistic styling, characters and settings are awfully coincidental. Not to mention the (very similar) main character's name is one letter different! Add to it that it was later revealed that Disney changed the idea of Simba from being a white lion to a regular tan/brown lion, well that was the last nail for me.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you read but as far as I knew there were no legal actions as Tezuka Productions felt that "we're a small, weak company. It wouldn't be worth it anyway ... Disney's lawyers are among the top twenty in the world!".
In my opinion just because they didn't take action, doesn't make the theft any less relevant. Disney has been in trouble over similar things before such as Peter Pan (which did take legal action). Disney isn't perfect, doesn't mean I hate them but IMO it doesn't make this OK.

Again, my original post said nothing about stealing from Shakespeare. My point is the article might be incorrect in stating that the Lion King is "the highest-earning entertainment property in history in any medium, with a worldwide gross of $6.2 billion".
I'm betting that 400 years of R&J or Hamlet have out grossed that 6.2b figure (inflation and currency adjusted of course).

As for whether throwing around the word "stealing", backed with "questionable information", is too strong a word in regards to Tezuka Productions? Considering this an informal rumors and news forum, in my opinion it isn't. Especially considering you were the first to throw it around first with the word "steal", I said "plagiarized".
While the plot of "Kimba the White Lion" may be closer to Madagascar (in some regards) the similarities in artistic styling, characters and settings are awfully coincidental. Not to mention the (very similar) main character's name is one letter different! Add to it that it was later revealed that Disney changed the idea of Simba from being a white lion to a regular tan/brown lion, well that was the last nail for me.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you read but as far as I knew there were no legal actions as Tezuka Productions felt that "we're a small, weak company. It wouldn't be worth it anyway ... Disney's lawyers are among the top twenty in the world!".
In my opinion just because they didn't take action, doesn't make the theft any less relevant. Disney has been in trouble over similar things before such as Peter Pan (which did take legal action). Disney isn't perfect, doesn't mean I hate them but IMO it doesn't make this OK.

Sorry Sir, I disagree..........The word plagiarized is the same as steal. I read your comment to be consistent in implying that Disney stole from Shakespeare, your quote *well I guess since Lion King is basically Macbeth, it should be counted for Willy* and the Tezuka studio.

Do a fast Google, lots of opinions out there, mostly bloggers condemning Disney, although most admit the final LK story line is totally different from the white lion. Read though the weakly backed opinions and you will see lots of legal cases and time fighting over the US rights by many companies. Legal fights over entertainment properties are a dime a dozen and are usually based on opinion. That is why we have courts. That also doesn't mean any companies committed a *thief*(your word) in using them, unless they did after the case was settled. TO THE BEST I can see there was no final decision on the US rights to the White Lion, however I did not spend time over it.

AKK

PS. I would suggest if your saying your points were based on informal rumors and information, It may prevent misunderstanding be saying your dealing in rumors and informal information..

Pretty impressive. // I know we've seen the traveling show (thee times) more than any other one. Usually once is enough for us for anything. So if there are others like us out there, no wonder it's pulled in so many dollars.// Very well done production and although once certainly would have been enough for me and my husband, with my son just loving it so much, we took him at age 6, again at age 12, and then again at age 17 (for his birthday). For him the experience was quite different each time. Now for me, seeing it at 41, 47, and 52 not so much. // Next time he wants to see it though, although I'll pay for two tickets if it comes back locally, I'll have him go with a friend. DH and I will skip.

DH is definitely not into Disney capitalizing on movies and doing Broadway shows that are so much like the movie. Their success, though, shows that there is a pent up demand for theatrical experiences for adults and children to enjoy together, and people are willing to pay for the experience, especially for a really good production like the Lion King.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter