Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Trying to pick our room request for our POR stay coming up in January. We’ll be in a Woods 5th sleeper - didn’t choose preferred view because it looked like these didn’t have the murphy? Either way, looks like we’re locked in at this point because availability for preferred isn’t showing anymore.

We’d prefer fairly easy access to the food court - from the map, it seems 16 would provide that plus easy walking from the parking lot to the room at the end of the day.

Touring Plans shows 16, 17, 26 and others. But then it also shows 39 - looks like a longer walk to the lobby but I guess not because of the bridges across the water?

So if we don’t have a preferred room, what building would you request for a Woods 5th Sleeper for decent access to the lobby and parking lots?
Yes, buildings 16 & 17 would be good locations for access to the lot/lobby. We stayed in building 26 with the 5th sleeper, room 2660 and felt like it was a perfect location, 5 min walk to the main building and less than 2 min the West bus depot which is also the first stop, a pro imo. It would not be as close to the parking lot as the others but in all honesty, POR is not so large that the walk would be more than a few minutes. The bridges do help but I'd not request any buildings beyond 26 since you don't need bus access. Also, I prefer walking path access over bridges since they can get congested and sometimes your subject to the pace of slower walkers, stroller traffic etc. It's not a big deal but I prefer the walking paths since they're wider and ECV/stroller traffic is then a non-issue.

We are bringing our dog with us in Jan. and it's noted on both my reservation and my early check-in through the app.
We will be leaving our dog while we are at the parks. Coming home in the afternoon for a break and then heading back to the parks in the evening.
I know we can decline housekeeping, but regarding security checks, with a dog in the room: do we schedule those?
I have seen hang tags and magnets on doors for people who had pets in the room, not sure if it's a disney tag or something that the owners brought themselves. I know mousekeeping won't come in unscheduled if you bring your dog but not sure about security as the idea is that the room checks are supposed to be random. I would call disney guest services and see what the policy is or ask at check in.

We are bringing our dog with us in Jan. and it's noted on both my reservation and my early check-in through the app.
We will be leaving our dog while we are at the parks. Coming home in the afternoon for a break and then heading back to the parks in the evening.
I know we can decline housekeeping, but regarding security checks, with a dog in the room: do we schedule those?

Good call on noting it on you reservation and early check-in. You should be fine.
I would speak with the front desk once you get there and ask about the security checks. Not sure if you can schedule them, but I am sure they will work with you.

Thank you for coming back in the afternoon for a break to check on your dog.

Oak Manor Leisure Pool Closing for Refurbishment at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside

Beginning today, the Oak Manor leisure pool (located in the Magnolia Bend area of Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside) will be temporarily closed for refurbishment. While this leisure pool is closed, Ol’ Man Island and other leisure pools around the resort will remain open and available to Guests.

The pool is currently expected to reopen to in mid-December. The laundry and restroom facilities located near the leisure pool will remain available to Guests throughout the refurbishment.

Hi! I'm staying at POFQ, not Riverside, but I have a question about Boatwrights. I have a reservation there for my upcoming trip, but I'm changing things around and would really prefer to go on another night. MK closes at 6pm that night so I'd like to make the res around 7:15-7:30. BUT I have been checking for several days and can only get 6 or 8.

Is it a very small restaurant? Is there a chance we'd get there at 7:15 and they would be willing to seat us early? It's our last night and we don't want to do too much but still want something fun. We've never been there and it would make our last night so much better than park hopping or traveling late from another resort.

Boatwrights gets a lot of walk ins because it is convenient for resort guests. You could try showing up early but be prepared to wait for your check in time. I would keep checking for a better time to become available. People tend to drop reservations the day before their reservation.

Boatwrights gets a lot of walk ins because it is convenient for resort guests. You could try showing up early but be prepared to wait for your check in time. I would keep checking for a better time to become available. People tend to drop reservations the day before their reservation.
Thanks so much! I think I will take the 8, keep checking and, worst case scenario, walk around Riverside for a bit before dinner.

Is there a method to request a specific building? We already have our reservation for late next week. We are booked to a woods view 5th sleeper so I know we'll be in the AB section. In the real old days, I'd send a fax (yes a fax) to the resort number with the request, knowing full well it was a request only that may or may not get honored. Just wondering if there is a method now for POR, or do you have to call? TIA

Is there a method to request a specific building? We already have our reservation for late next week. We are booked to a woods view 5th sleeper so I know we'll be in the AB section. In the real old days, I'd send a fax (yes a fax) to the resort number with the request, knowing full well it was a request only that may or may not get honored. Just wondering if there is a method now for POR, or do you have to call? TIA
You can call or you can make your request during online check-in or if you have a subscription to Touring Plans they have a room request tool.
And I remember the days of faxing too!

I know that some resorts (e.g., Contemporary, Boardwalk, etc.) are very picky about parking there unless you are staying there or have an ADR to avoid people trying to use those parking lots to visit MK, EPCOT, etc.

Is it possible to park at Port Orleans if we just want to have a QS meal at the food court and then visit the piano bar? Or do they also have strict rules requiring an ADR at the TS restaurant to park there?

Yes they are still doing security checks. Housekeeping is every other day. Security checks are also every other day, on the opposite day of housekeeping.

You make your room request once you do online checkin.

Be sure to mention you are bringing a dog, as I don't believe all buildings are pet friendly.

Are they leaving the dog all day when at the parks?

Hi All - so getting back to you all after our experience.

I don't know that they ever did a security check on the room with the dog. There was a pet sign that they placed on the door (like a do not disturb sign) and staff kept trying to enter anyhow. My family finally told a manager that our room was off limits to all staff - that if they open the door, the dog will run out of the room. Don't care about housekeeping. Don't care about the security check. Just leave the room alone. Don't touch. lol. And the manager made a critical note that staff avoid our room. My family appreciated it.

At check in, they received a Pluto bag with a dog bowl, dog mat and waste bags for the dog in a little container.

Many other people had dogs, and I didn't encounter anyone who was disrespectful except for a person who had let their german shepherd off a leash. Still perplexed about this, though, because I believe this size dog isn't allowed. You have to keep your dog on a leash and you have to clean up after your dog. It's a civil responsibility and we're all responsible to respect our immediate community. Some people think this doesn't apply to them.

As for me, I had my own room without pet, and I have no idea when they did the security check. Rooms are nice, but a bit rough around the edges. I don't know how the chairs and tables got so many dents and nicks in them. What do these people do with the furniture in the room?

I'll tell you something. Disney should be charging $50 for each kid in the room, and not $50 for the pet. My family's dog didn't chew, soil or do absolutely anything at all in the room but sit and sleep. And they had to pay extra to have the dog in the room on top of the over $300 a night. Yet, you have families with kids who are literally trashing the rooms and damaging the furniture and probably face no consequences. It is unbelievable, unfair, and and just plain wrong. Dare I say kids should also have to be on a leash? 😂

We were also told at the hotel that we were allowed, as a resort guests, to visit other properties. We also visited Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Coronado Springs a couple times each and had no problem parking as a resort guest.

At the end of our stay, I learned that Bob Chapek was kicked out and replaced with past CEO Iger. Disney is overpriced, the food is lousy, and it's clear they pick and choose what to keep up to date. For example, the carpeting in Philarmagic and at the AKL gift shop ... in pathetic condition. Never seen such roughed up carpet at Disney before. But I don't think the problem started with Chapek. He hasn't been the CEO that long. Also ridiculous was having Genie+ and then having to pay an extra $10 to ride the 7 Dwarfs Mine coaster. And what a lousy ride that was. It's like they got halfway done building the coaster and then decided to just end the ride there. Would never waste my time or money on it again.

Last edited:
Is preferred room worth $330 more for 7 nights over a wood view? Do I need to let them know of a pet allergy?

We just returned, staying in a preferred room. I will say based on our experience, yes. To be close to all the main attractions of the resort was well worth every penny.

Concerning the buses, on our first rope drop park day we walked to the West Depot to be one of the first on the bus. I've read many stories of buses being full by the time they make it around the resort to the main stop (south depot). Well... those stories are completely overblown. If you're up early to rope drop early entry (and by that I mean you're headed to the bus 60-90 minutes before EE), you won't have a problem getting on a bus. We made the longer walk to the West depot just that once, and went to the nearby south depot every other morning after that.

I'll tell you something. Disney should be charging $50 for each kid in the room, and not $50 for the pet. My family's dog didn't chew, soil or do absolutely anything at all in the room but sit and sleep. And they had to pay extra to have the dog in the room on top of the over $300 a night. Yet, you have families with kids who are literally trashing the rooms and damaging the furniture and probably face no consequences. It is unbelievable, unfair, and and just plain wrong. Dare I say kids should also have to be on a leash? 😂
I think probably more adults trash rooms than kids.... as in most of the trashing is probably done by adults.

I know that some resorts (e.g., Contemporary, Boardwalk, etc.) are very picky about parking there unless you are staying there or have an ADR to avoid people trying to use those parking lots to visit MK, EPCOT, etc.

Is it possible to park at Port Orleans if we just want to have a QS meal at the food court and then visit the piano bar? Or do they also have strict rules requiring an ADR at the TS restaurant to park there?
Worse case is make an ADR and then cancel it.
I think probably more adults trash rooms than kids.... as in most of the trashing is probably done by adults.
I was afraid of that. Ooof! :(

Staying at riverside in a 5th sleeper. What building should I request to be close to the first bus pickup?

Staying at riverside in a 5th sleeper. What building should I request to be close to the first bus pickup?
This map will help:
https://www.portorleans.org/riverside-info.php

If you're staying in a preferred room AND you're a rope dropper, just go to the south depot perhaps the busses are full by the time they arrive there when it gets closer to park opening, but if you're going early for RD, in or experience during Thanksgiving week that wasn't an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter