Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

D
From the very informative https://www.portorleans.org/

Once the buses leave the resort area (i.e. after all the internal pickup stops) the journey times are fairly short. You should be at the Magic Kingdom within about 10-13 minutes, Epcot or Disney Hollywood Studios will take about 9-12 minutes, while Animal Kingdom is the furthest away at nearer 20 minutes.

Wow awesome site. Will keep me busy for a few days! Thanks for the link.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. For some reason I thought there was an extra step after security. This seems like a much shorter process than I was thinking. Thanks!

The people who drive themselves and park have to park at the lot at the Transportation & Ticket Center (TTC), then take a tram, get on either the monorail/ferry to MK, THEN go through security. That's probably what's confusing you. This is one benefit to staying at the resort, that the Disney bus can drive right up to the gate and it's just a short walk to security, no monorail/ferry as you don't stop at the TTC. :)

Last edited:
I was really hoping I’d get a refurbed room, but that’s okay. At least I don’t think they’ll be refurbing the preferred section while I’m there. Or maybe they will. Who knows?

Thanks for the info! Is the Aligator Bayou area considered preferable? I was thinking the Magnolia Bend section looked great as well with the gardens. How are the views if you get placed in the Magnolia Bend area facing the parking lot?
Everyone has a favorite section, I always request Magnolia Bend, and I’ve always been placed there for all my many stays at POR. However, I know that is never a guarantee. I would have been disappointed to be placed in Alligator Bayou, but I’ve never experienced it, so who knows, maybe I’d like it. Many folks say it’s what they prefer. With your fifth sleeper reservation, Alligator Bayou is where you will be for sure.
As far as views, I always try to book standard for a lower rate at a moderate resort like POR. People can walk right by your window. You don’t have a balcony. So I never even think of the view. I would much rather walk out the door and take a stroll on the paths and bridges along the river and among the gorgeous sweeping lawns, huge mature trees, gardens, fountains, horse drawn carriages,......oh....I want to be there! ( I will be in just 12 days! )

The people who drive themselves and park have to park at the lot at the Transportation & Transit Center (TTC), then take a tram, get on either the monorail/ferry to MK, THEN go through security. That's probably what's confusing you. This is one benefit to staying at the resort, that the Disney bus can drive right up to the gate and it's just a short walk to security, no monorail/ferry as you don't stop at the TTC. :)

Ok yes. This probably explains my confusion. Thanks!

Everyone has a favorite section, I always request Magnolia Bend, and I’ve always been placed there for all my many stays at POR. However, I know that is never a guarantee. I would have been disappointed to be placed in Alligator Bayou, but I’ve never experienced it, so who knows, maybe I’d like it. Many folks say it’s what they prefer. With your fifth sleeper reservation, Alligator Bayou is where you will be for sure.
As far as views, I always try to book standard for a lower rate at a moderate resort like POR. People can walk right by your window. You don’t have a balcony. So I never even think of the view. I would much rather walk out the door and take a stroll on the paths and bridges along the river and among the gorgeous sweeping lawns, huge mature trees, gardens, fountains, horse drawn carriages,......oh....I want to be there! ( I will be in just 12 days! )

Thank you! The 5th sleeper is important to us, I am sure we can enjoy the Magnolia area anyway :) Looks like I picked a good are for our first trip. one bit of info I found out today. I wasn't super pleased wit the decor of the Alligator Bayou area, and noticed different room styles on the website. Did a bit of research about the refurb, called today and told they should all be refurbished by our November trip.

We are thinking of requesting either Building 25 or 34 so we can be close to the West Depot. How did people like that area? How far was it to walk to the lobby/dining hall?
We had a room in building 25 and we really liked this location. It is close to the West Depot which is the first stop for the park buses. It has a very nice, partially shaded quiet pool. And it wasn't too far from the food court.

Standard View (5th sleeper) ~ Best building in AB to request? I hear the West Depot is the first pick up and first drop off. So, would you recommend something in that area? Would love to hear first hand accounts!

We stayed in AB building 24 from Dec 19-24. It was close to the West Depot, which is the first to get picked up or dropped off. Being a busy time, this was a great benefit. However, it was not close to the food court. One night we ate at the food court and planned to take the Disney Springs bus to the West Depot (which we had done previously), but when we got to the bus stop it said “take boat” to DS so we had to walk back to our room. I wouldn’t recommend if you plan to eat at the food court often.

We are arriving for a quick stay at POR in just nine days and have a question. We booked through a TA for a very slight discount (maybe $10 a night?) but upon checkin would like to inquire about paying for an upgraded room if one is available. Will we be able to do this or will the booking being third party mess this up? Thanks!

We are arriving for a quick stay at POR in just nine days and have a question. We booked through a TA for a very slight discount (maybe $10 a night?) but upon checkin would like to inquire about paying for an upgraded room if one is available. Will we be able to do this or will the booking being third party mess this up? Thanks!

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on availability and any restrictions your booking has on it.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on availability and any restrictions your booking has on it.
Yeah I noted the bit about availability. Not sure why they would put any restrictions on me giving them more money but at WDW you just never know. Guess we will find out!

We booked through a TA for a very slight discount (maybe $10 a night?) but upon checkin would like to inquire about paying for an upgraded room if one is available.

I would suggest faxing in a few days before arrival (around 5 days out) with your booking info. Explain that when you originally booked your agent was only able to get a particular category, but that if any availability has come up for your desired room category in the meantime, you would be very happy to pay the difference for the upgrade. As this will go to the Room Inventory team rather than Central Reservations, I suspect that if they can do it they may even do it for free - but making that offer of payment in advance shows that you aren't simply asking for something for nothing. Good luck anyway, hope it works out for you.

Andre

Can anyone tell me about the options for organic whole milk? We have two preschoolers who will have it every day. Where can I get it at POR and prices?
Thanks

You can call the hotel directly. Ask them if you can pay in advance for an upgrade. I am sure they will do it if they have availability. Then it will be all done before you get there. They are in the business to please and make money.

I was literally going to ask this same question. We too booked through a Disney TA for Feb and were only able to get standard. My husband made a last minute decision to join us and is having a procedure done to his foot a couple weeks prior. I wanted to see if I'd be able to pay the difference to upgrade to a preferred building to cut down on the walking. Hope I'm able to.

Can anyone tell me about the options for organic whole milk? We have two preschoolers who will have it every day. Where can I get it at POR and prices?
Thanks

Honestly, I doubt you can. Your best bet would either to grab it on the way if you are driving (or maybe Uber to a grocery store), or if you fly in you may be able to order what you want and have it shipped to the hotel.

Thanks
You can always see if Starbucks sells it. There are a lot of Starbucks at Disney. I know Starbucks sell organic chocolate milk, my daughter drinks it.

I would suggest faxing in a few days before arrival (around 5 days out) with your booking info. Explain that when you originally booked your agent was only able to get a particular category, but that if any availability has come up for your desired room category in the meantime, you would be very happy to pay the difference for the upgrade. As this will go to the Room Inventory team rather than Central Reservations, I suspect that if they can do it they may even do it for free - but making that offer of payment in advance shows that you aren't simply asking for something for nothing. Good luck anyway, hope it works out for you.

Andre
Thanks for the suggestion! My agent only had access to standard view rates which was fine but now we have some extra funds and no way to rebook through her (I asked!)

Would I be able to call in this request? I don’t have access to a fax machine :oops:

You can call the hotel directly. Ask them if you can pay in advance for an upgrade. I am sure they will do it if they have availability. Then it will be all done before you get there. They are in the business to please and make money.
hmmm good call. I know I cannot make changes to the reservation myself as the TA booked it but you bring up a good point about calling to ask ahead of time. Assuming I can get a knowledgeable person on the phone which isn’t a guarantee when it comes the WDW...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!