Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Just wanted to chime in on this thread and say that PORS is AMAZING!! We spent last Sunday to Thursday there before we switched over to the Contemporary. Even though we were moving up in hotel class and convenience, we still hated to leave PORS. We stayed in Alligator Bayou, room 3805. We were steps away from the quiet pool that we swam in every night, steps away from the laundry room, a short walk away from Old Man Island and 5 minute walk from the food court. We loved everything about it. The movie in the court yard, Yeeha Bob, the boat to Disney springs, it was all excellent. The whole feel of the resort was so laid back. When youre spending half your time at the busy parks, with all the hurry of catching fastpasses and ADRs, it was so nice to come back to a resort that had the feel of a front porch swing.

Even as we were sitting on the pool deck at Contemporary, my wife kept on commenting that she wanted to go back to PORS.

Has anyone done laundry at POR recently? Just wondering if the machines are still coin-operated, or are they all converted to credit card these days?

The laundry is all credit card these days. $3 to wash, $3 to dry. A wash cycle is 34 mins and a dry cycle is 60 mins. They sell detergent and fabric softener for $1 in the vending machine. You need your magic band to open the door and there is a website you can check to see how much time is left on your machine.

My 2.5 yr old got a stomach bug while we were there last week so I was doing laundry one morning at 5:30 am.

Has anyone had any luck getting a late checkout at POR or any other resort on property? We had to add a day to our trip to get FD and I was just able to secure a new flight for that add on day for a steal ($64!!), but it is late in the day so I'm wondering if we can get an extra hour or two in the room. Thanks!

Has anyone had any luck getting a late checkout at POR or any other resort on property? We had to add a day to our trip to get FD and I was just able to secure a new flight for that add on day for a steal ($64!!), but it is late in the day so I'm wondering if we can get an extra hour or two in the room. Thanks!

We are at about a 50% success rate. If they can, they will allow you up to 1:00PM with no extra charge. Up to 3:00PM is a charge of 1/2 rack rate for that night.

Interesting! Now that I look at it, it does seem like it would have more river views, but it is also the furthest from any bridges
Acadian House on the quiet pool end is quite close to the Old man a Island foot bridge. We stayed in that building twice, once had quiet pool view, and once had 2nd floor River view. River view room if looking at building with back to River, we were maybe 4 doors to the right of main stairway. Both locations were very close to bridge.

Many times we've been able to get late check out till 1:00. It depends how busy they are. Phone housekeeping in the morning.
But the past few times we haven't needed late check out. We always have late afternoon flights but we go for a later special breakfast leaving day after checking our luggage at airline desk, then leaving carry ons with bell service. We like going to Trails End buffet breakfast. Then walk around and visit horses, can take the boat over to WL to explore, then take boat over to CR and check out gift shops, can also then hop on monorail to visit Poly & GF. Then take Boat or monorail to MK to catch bus back to your resort for DME pick up. I like to be back an hour before DME to get carry on from Bell Service and change clothes for flight. I pack a change of clothes in carry on. I don't like flying in shorts. I find flights can be chilly. Also like to get a snack to take on flight from food court. Cookie or muffin.

The laundry is all credit card these days. $3 to wash, $3 to dry. A wash cycle is 34 mins and a dry cycle is 60 mins. They sell detergent and fabric softener for $1 in the vending machine. You need your magic band to open the door and there is a website you can check to see how much time is left on your machine.

My 2.5 yr old got a stomach bug while we were there last week so I was doing laundry one morning at 5:30 am.
Thank you! But so sorry that you know all this because your little one was sick :(

I think it would depend on how busy they were. We were able to get late check out at the Beach Club, but I was very ill at the time and they felt bad for me, ( the next day I was hospitalized with double pneumonia and kidney failure, it was a fun trip) so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. We did get late check out at one other resort we just asked when we got there.

I have always been able to get a late check out if I call early.

Only time I wasn't was when I was staying on points in DVC

Many times we've been able to get late check out till 1:00. It depends how busy they are. Phone housekeeping in the morning.
But the past few times we haven't needed late check out. We always have late afternoon flights but we go for a later special breakfast leaving day after checking our luggage at airline desk, then leaving carry ons with bell service. We like going to Trails End buffet breakfast. Then walk around and visit horses, can take the boat over to WL to explore, then take boat over to CR and check out gift shops, can also then hop on monorail to visit Poly & GF. Then take Boat or monorail to MK to catch bus back to your resort for DME pick up. I like to be back an hour before DME to get carry on from Bell Service and change clothes for flight. I pack a change of clothes in carry on. I don't like flying in shorts. I find flights can be chilly. Also like to get a snack to take on flight from food court. Cookie or muffin.

Sounds like an awesome plan! I hadn't thought about going over to FW but sounds like it would be plenty to do. We were thinking about maybe making a reservation over at AKL for a late breakfast or early lunch an exploring there as it was something that we have wanted to do but haven't had time for but I love your suggestions! Thanks:)!

Definitely don't count on it. I wasn't desperate, but I thought it would be nice to have another half hour or so. They couldn't even give me that much because they were booked solid.

We found the buses were great.

We got to the parks very early 7-7:15 some days. A lot of the early buses came 6:40/6:59ish.

Sounds like an awesome plan! I hadn't thought about going over to FW but sounds like it would be plenty to do. We were thinking about maybe making a reservation over at AKL for a late breakfast or early lunch an exploring there as it was something that we have wanted to do but haven't had time for but I love your suggestions! Thanks:)!
That would work too. We love AKL and can spend lots of time there. Boma breakfast is a fav, then you can spend time walking around the lobby looking at all the art exhibits, go down to Arusha rock to Savana lookout, talk to the CM there. They are very knowledgable about the Savana. There's rocking chairs around fire pit. Go out around the pool to see flamingos, and another Savana look out, Uzima. They have a great gift shop, probably the most unique of all the resorts. Then you could stroll over to Kidani and explore that Savana and resort!

Hi everyone!! We're going to POR this fall in a split stay, landing there first (just one night) then continuing on to AKL.
This is my partner's first ever visit to FL/WDW, the trip is for his birthday, and I have no idea when or if we'll be back... so I had to book a royal guest room, lest I never get another chance :blush:

Since it's just one day/night, I'm trying not to get too worked up over a room request. Just let the ~magic~ take me to a hopefully nice view. (It'll be a resort day, with a quick trip to Disney Springs for dinner, strolling, excuse to ride the ferry.)

However! I booked a river view RGR, and have already spent many woman-hours comparing and browsing the room views on touringplans over the last few weeks.

We're able-bodied, we'll be 25 and 26.99 then, and we don't have children or strollers. So I'm thinking if we make a room request at all, we should ask to be on the 2nd/3rd floors of Oak Manor/Parterre Place because we don't have a true need to be on the ground floor. And yet... the views of the river from the ground floor look so :lovestruc

Anyone who's stayed in river view royal guest rooms, and loved (or disliked) a particular floor, building, or even room number -- please chime in?

Can someone tell me if the fireworks castle light show on the head board in the royal rooms can be turned completely off at night? I've only seen pictures online. We have some in our party who prefer total darkness at night. Thank you.

Can someone tell me if the fireworks castle light show on the head board in the royal rooms can be turned completely off at night?

Don't worry, they only illuminate if you press the button, and they switch off again after 30 seconds.

Andre

We stayed May 13-17 and requested a late check out that was granted. 1:00 on our last day.

My family and I just got back home from POR a few days ago. We loved the resort. We stayed in the Magnolia mansions building in a standard view room and it was a short walk to most things at the resort.The room we stayed in was very nice and clean.The resort grounds are beautiful and were a joy to walk around.We enjoyed both the pools at POFQ and POR. My 3 year old said she enjoyed POFQ pool more because of the splash area and my 8 year old enjoyed POR pool more as she liked the slide better at POR. The food at the food court was ok. If you have been to Disney before the food is mostly of the same quality as the other food courts so you should know what to expect. Now on to my only negative of our trip. Having stayed at multiple on property resorts over the years in our experience the transportation at POR is some of the worst. We traveled to and from the parks on multiple different times of day and it just was not a good experience. The buses were either standing room only even at 7:00am for rope drop at magic kingdom or running late sometimes even not having a time on the screen at the bus depot. Traveling to Epcot seemed like it had the slowest buses of all to and from the park. If you are planning on staying late and seeing any of the shows be prepared to wait on a bus. Last week POR buses at all the parks had very long lines. In fact after looking at the lines at the other depots they were the longest. We opted one night to ride the POFQ bus then walk as there was hardly anyone in line there and it got us to the resort much quicker even with the walk. This was just our experience from last week. I will say this though the boat ride to Disney springs was a great relaxing experience both times we used it. We all enjoyed it. Having said that my family and I did enjoy the resort and if we stayed again will probably use our own transportation to and from the parks or stay at POFQ instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!