Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Can I teen sleep on that murphy bed?? Can you request those rooms with less than 5 people?? Thanks!!

The bed is 66" (5' 6") long. According to most reports, anyone taller than 5' is going to think the bed is too small. My middle spawnling was 5' 1" tall when we went last, and it was ok, but any taller, and you'll feel like you're sleeping off the edge.

You can request one with a group of less than 5 people, but the only way to guarantee one is by having a party of 5. The mansions don't have Murphy beds.

Can I teen sleep on that murphy bed?? Can you request those rooms with less than 5 people?? Thanks!!

You can request one with a group of less than 5 people, but the only way to guarantee one is by having a party of 5. The mansions don't have Murphy beds.

Although you can book preferred as a group of 4 to stay in AB, be aware there is still a small chance you may not get a Murphy bed. There is at least one room there without one, a handicapped room that they placed our family of 4 in when we booked preferred due to their occupancy needs. We did not care, as we're not using it anyway.

My 14 yr son slept on the Murphy bed at CBR last September for a week and LOVED it. The same bed is at PORS and he's looking forward to on sleeping on it in September in preferrred section in alligator bayou!

From 14 (which is a Preferred Location booking) the walk could be as little as 50yds (less than a minute) to the food court, but no more than 2-3 minutes from the other side of the building. About the same distances for the nearest quiet pool, and 3-4 minutes or so to the South bus stop. But remember you are not guaranteed to get building 14.

Anyone can fax a request in just before they arrive (I suggest about 3-5 days out) which is the best way to get your communication noticed directly by the room allocation team. Also, that way you know the wording is exactly as you want it to be, rather than going via several people to become a brief note on the booking system.

Andre

14 is great! I stayed there a year ago, and I clocked it in under 2 minutes to get the to food court door.

Hi - Way back in the 90's we spent our honeymoon at POR. Loved it. There is particular bush on the Alligator bayou side that blooms yellow flowers. there are hundreds of them planted & when in bloom they are gorgeous. Does anyone know or recall the name of these bushes? I know its a long shot but hey a girl can try.

So if I booked a preferred room there's no guarantee we will get a preferred building? We are a family of 5 booking 2 rooms because the youngest is 17 yrs old & is 5"8" & will absolutely not fit on the murphy bed! We don't necessarily need to be next door to each other, but we do need to at least all be in the same building.

Also, when I called to make our reservations I requested first floor because of scooter (my mom is 79) and was told it wasn't guaranteed. I asked (nicely) would someone be willing to take our scooter up and down the stairs each night because there's no way we could do it & was told oh no, there are elevators - which I also know not to be true. I just said ok because I know the trip is far away.

So if I booked a preferred room there's no guarantee we will get a preferred building?

Erm, that is the whole point of a Preferred Location booking, i.e. to get a room that has been categorised as 'Preferred' (which are located in buildings 14, 15, 18 and 27 only). As much an anything can be guaranteed in the hotel world anyway.

Andre

Does anyone know where the up to date smoking areas are at POR (specifically near the AB preferred section)?

The ones showing officially on the Disney site now were the same as what was showing on the map when we were last there in 2015. Near the block 18 pool - it wasn't there, there was one near the back of block 16 car park instead which wasn't showing on the map then and isn't now. And one on the wooden bridge near the foodcourt - this was there at the start of the holiday but disappeared halfway through) but still showing on the map now. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Would it be ok if we were to bring a small microwave to have in our room? I want to make sure it is allowed before I cart one over there. Thanks.

Does anyone know where the up to date smoking areas are at POR (specifically near the AB preferred section)?

The only info I have is from the official maps, but it sounds like they might be moving them around a bit. I know that some people have been unhappy about smoking areas being place around the most scenic riverbank locations, where people want to relax without inhaling smoke fumes from nearby, so perhaps they are trying to accommodate that? Do you don't say whether you are trying to FIND the smoking areas or AVOID them though.

Would it be ok if we were to bring a small microwave to have in our room? I want to make sure it is allowed before I cart one over there. Thanks.

I believe you should be OK with a small microwave. Naked flame cooking is not permitted though. There are also microwaves for guest use in the food court if that helps.

Andre

I believe you should be OK with a small microwave. Naked flame cooking is not permitted though. There are also microwaves for guest use in the food court if that helps.

Andre[/QUOTE]

Thank you! We have reserved standard room but requested near a bus stop in Magnolia Terrace. I realize it may not be met and since my DD has Type 1 Diabetes, there may be some mornings that she needs to eat breakfast in the room vs trekking to the food court. Plus this way IF we were to be near a bus stop we can save time (and sleep in little, we are rope drop people) by foregoing the food court. ;)

Stupid question number 15426:

Can you drink your resort refillable drinks in river roost? I believe you can't fill them in there but I just want to be able to drink it.

We want to watch Bob perform but don't want to waste money on drinks when we'll have the cups.

The only info I have is from the official maps, but it sounds like they might be moving them around a bit. I know that some people have been unhappy about smoking areas being place around the most scenic riverbank locations, where people want to relax without inhaling smoke fumes from nearby, so perhaps they are trying to accommodate that? Do you don't say whether you are trying to FIND the smoking areas or AVOID them though.

Andre

Trying to find them. Totally get them not being along the river and on walkways, got frustrating last time trying to find them though when they're wrong on the map.

The bed is 66" (5' 6") long. According to most reports, anyone taller than 5' is going to think the bed is too small. My middle spawnling was 5' 1" tall when we went last, and it was ok, but any taller, and you'll feel like you're sleeping off the edge.

Erm, that is the whole point of a Preferred Location booking, i.e. to get a room that has been categorised as 'Preferred' (which are located in buildings 14, 15, 18 and 27 only). As much an anything can be guaranteed in the hotel world anyway.

Andre
I'm only asking because of what I read earlier in the thread. So as you can see, there's conflicting information.

Can you drink your resort refillable drinks in river roost?

Lots of people take refillable mugs into the River Roost, but please do remember that you will be in a lounge bar and taking up a table which the wait staff earn tips from, so it would be polite to at least buy a drink or two from them.

I'm only asking because of what I read earlier in the thread. So as you can see, there's conflicting information.

No conflict that I can see. All of the Preferred Location category rooms are in Alligator Bayou buildings 14, 15, 18 or 27 ONLY (although not every room in those buildings is Preferred - the King Bed, Pool View and River View rooms are all sold under their own categories). Here's an example of the room layout for building 27, with the yellow rooms sold under the 'Preferred' category:

Floorplan-POR-AlligatorBayou-27.png

There are 12 more buildings in Alligator Bayou though, all of which have the same amenities (such as the Murphy Beds) and can sleep five, and they fall into the regular booking categories Standard, Garden, Pool, River and King Bed. If you simply book any regular room category you might get Alligator Bayou or you might get a mansion building room. AB is not restricted solely for families of five people by the way, there are 800 or so rooms in AB versus 512 in the regular mansions, so they need to accommodate people on both sides. However if you DO have five people (excluding under-3s) then you would definitely get an AB room.

One slight caveat about the AB section by the way: Accessible Rooms have a slightly different layout which means there isn't enough space for a fold-down bed. While it's unusual for a guest who does not have special needs to be assigned to one of those rooms (which are marked with red text on my floorplan maps) it can happen, especially when the resort is very full.

Andre

Lots of people take refillable mugs into the River Roost, but please do remember that you will be in a lounge bar and taking up a table which the wait staff earn tips from, so it would be polite to at least buy a drink or two

Andre
That's what DH does. He gets a beer or ginger aleto start . Then if I get a 2nd or 3rd
adult beverage he will use the mug in the foodcourt .

One slight caveat about the AB section by the way: Accessible Rooms have a slightly different layout which means there isn't enough space for a fold-down bed. While it's unusual for a guest who does not have special needs to be assigned to one of those rooms (which are marked with red text on my floorplan maps) it can happen, especially when the resort is very full.

Andre

Yes. This is what happened to our family of 4. Busy August. I believe it was the Room 2733. No problem for us, as we didn't care about the Murphy bed, just the Preferred.

I believe that's talking about two different things.
The first was referring to a Murphy bed, the only way to guarantee that with a party of four is to book preferred

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter