Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

BUS STOP NEWS! As of May 1, the real bus stop will be back in use. There were signs at the tents this morning as well as an announcement by the attendant.

I'm completely fine with it. We're booked under a travel agent rate so it works out to be a better deal for us anyway! Free dining would've cost us a couple hundred more and we would have had to switch resorts.

I guess I don't understand how this is accurate. Of course you're going to pay more money in your vacation package because of adding the free dining discount. You have to pay RACK RATES for the rooms and that's tacked onto your vacation package right way. But, in the end, have you figured in how much money you will spend at all of the restaurants and counter service meals (which will not be included in your vacation package)? Unless you're eating at Taco Bell and McDonalds and eating off site, I don't see how you're saving more money with the deal your travel agent got you. Kind of misleading....maybe you should reconsider the free dining because EASILY you could spend over $500-$700 a week for dining if you eat at top notch quality places. Maybe there's something you're not telling us about the discount you got?

Last edited:
what construction is going on at POFQ and when will it be done? We will be there on Sept 30th and wanted to know if it will still be going on.

I guess I don't understand how this is accurate. Of course you're going to pay more money in your vacation package because of adding the free dining discount. You have to pay RACK RATES for the rooms and that's tacked onto your vacation package right way. But, in the end, have you figured in how much money you will spend at all of the restaurants and counter service meals (which will not be included in your vacation package)? Unless you're eating at Taco Bell and McDonalds and eating off site, I don't see how you're saving more money with the deal your travel agent got you. Kind of misleading....maybe you should reconsider the free dining because EASILY you could spend over $500-$700 a week for dining if you eat at top notch quality places. Maybe there's something you're not telling us about the discount you got?

There are agency exclusive deals out there especially staying deluxe and even with paying out of pocket for meals, it is a way better deal then FD.

maybe you should reconsider the free dining because EASILY you could spend over $500-$700 a week for dining if you eat at top notch quality places.

We had the QS dining plan a year or so back, and ended up with 20 counter service meals left over at the end of our two-week stay (four people). We got the plan at half-price (not free) but we won't be doing it again. Whether it works for you really depends on how much you eat: at counter services we rarely wanted desserts anyway, and we ate at four or five table service locations during our stay, so the regular plan would be completely wasted on us. The more expensive the room category, and the less people you have in it, so it often becomes a better deal to get a room discount rather than 'free' dining.

what construction is going on at POFQ and when will it be done? We will be there on Sept 30th and wanted to know if it will still be going on.

There is some work going on replacing worn-out roadway at the bus stop, and it will be finished tomorrow (1 May). Your date is still five months away, so there's time for lots more projects to start (and hopefully finish) in the meantime. Keep an eye on this thread and the news page on my site for any updates.

Andre

We had the QS dining plan a year or so back, and ended up with 20 counter service meals left over at the end of our two-week stay (four people). We got the plan at half-price (not free) but we won't be doing it again. Whether it works for you really depends on how much you eat: at counter services we rarely wanted desserts anyway, and we ate at four or five table service locations during our stay, so the regular plan would be completely wasted on us. The more expensive the room category, and the less people you have in it, so it often becomes a better deal to get a room discount rather than 'free' dining.

There is some work going on replacing worn-out roadway at the bus stop, and it will be finished tomorrow (1 May). Your date is still five months away, so there's time for lots more projects to start (and hopefully finish) in the meantime. Keep an eye on this thread and the news page on my site for any updates.

Andre[/QUO

Andre
Thank you

:wave2: When our time comes to do on-line check-in will it be possible that we will get our 2 reservations under the same room? Not sure of the process. Will i have to do 2 on-line check-ins.

We have a BB that we booked while we were there over the Holidays, but like all things, plans changed and we needed to add another nights stay at the end of the 1st reservation. So we have our BB and a rack rate room garden view.

From past experiences what are the chances we will be able to stay in the same room? We did request a certain room when we initially booked. Do the reservation agents look at original booking or should we send a fax like we did over the Holidays.

This will be our second stay at POFQ :goodvibes

TIA

Not trying to start an argument here (because I appreciate EVERYTHING Andre does on this site), but I think the poster who was talking about the discount (at least according to my interpretation) was talking about a discount on their moderate room, not deluxe. I am well aware that it makes more sense to usually book deluxe without free dining with a room only discount. However, this is not what I have found with moderate resorts. I guess I was under the assumption that the person was talking about being at French Quarter, but having a better discount. Maybe the poster was talking about deluxe, which in their case it would pay for them to not do free dining. In regards to your post about my cost being a little high for dining, let me put it into perspective: If you eat even at 5 places like Ohana, Cape May, Germany...you spend $90 between 2 people. Times that by 5 places and on table service alone you end up paying $450 for only two people...in fact, I think my $500-$700 might have been a little short of what you can actually spend with the regular dining plan.

Again, not trying to start an argument at all...just want you to see where I'm coming from. I've been doing the dining plan for 8 years now and have seen the ups and downs of the Disney Dining plan not being as great of a value as it used to be, but it's still a great value and is still the way to go when booking a moderate resort. Are there more significant discounts through agencies for moderate resorts? I've only ever seen them for deluxe resorts. Maybe I'm being ignorant? haha

Last edited:
Not trying to start an argument here (because I appreciate EVERYTHING Andre does on this site), but I think the poster who was talking about the discount (at least according to my interpretation) was talking about a discount on their moderate room, not deluxe. I am well aware that it makes more sense to usually book deluxe without free dining with a room only discount. However, this is not what I have found with moderate resorts. I guess I was under the assumption that the person was talking about being at French Quarter, but having a better discount. Maybe the poster was talking about deluxe, which in their case it would pay for them to not do free dining. In regards to your post about my cost being a little high for dining, let me put it into perspective: If you eat even at 5 places like Ohana, Cape May, Germany...you spend $90 between 2 people. Times that by 5 places and on table service alone you end up paying $450 for only two people...in fact, I think my $500-$700 might have been a little short of what you can actually spend with the regular dining plan.

Again, not trying to start an argument at all...just want you to see where I'm coming from. I've been doing the dining plan for 8 years now and have seen the ups and downs of the Disney Dining plan not being as great of a value as it used to be, but it's still a great value and is still the way to go when booking a moderate resort. Are there more significant discounts through agencies for moderate resorts? I've only ever seen them for deluxe resorts. Maybe I'm being ignorant? haha

This year Disney required the purchase of PH or WP&M to get free dining. If someone was planning to purchase base tickets, the extra cost could tip the scales in favor of a RO discount, especially if they don't like to eat they way the dining plan is set up. Everyone really just has to do the math and pick what makes the most sense for them.

This year Disney required the purchase of PH or WP&M to get free dining. If someone was planning to purchase base tickets, the extra cost could tip the scales in favor of a RO discount, especially if they don't like to eat they way the dining plan is set up. Everyone really just has to do the math and pick what makes the most sense for them.

Partially true. Park hopper was another $60 per person....$120 total for a party of 2. Room only discount for moderate is 20%, which saves you $40 per day. Let's say you go for a week...you save $400 (roughly) by doing the room only discount (with no park hopper).

If you eat at one table service, you can bet on averaging about $70 per table service for a party of 2 (that's including if you got breakfast once or twice)...$490 on table service alone...not including any snacks, refillable mugs, or counter services.

I agree with your point that the value is not as good as it used to be...but even the non "big" eaters should still go with the moderates with free dining as opposed to the RO discount if they can. In my previous post, I said it makes sense to do deluxe with RO discount...but not the case with moderate.

What I have seen on the boards is people saying, "No free dining available, but with room only discount, it was $300 cheaper than having to do free dining so I'm good with that"....in our world, a lot of people don't think about future cost or have a good concept of "budgeting"....so, I didn't want to paint a false picture that going with RO discount is cheaper...in vacation package price, yes. Out of pocket though, no, because they will be paying for it at the end when they get their room bill and see a several hundred dollar bill at check out because of all the dining they did.

And again, the person was comparing the regular dining plan to a RO discount, which means they probably wanted the one table service per day...I understand that every family is different in regards to their eating habits, BUT, I'm trying to make the point that when booking a moderate, it's still worth it to do the free regular dining plan if that's the resort you want and you want the best rate and not the other way around.

If you're wanting cheap cheap, then value with QSDP is the way to go...don't upgrade to regular dining plan then.

When you upgrade to regular dining plan from QSDP, you might as well stay at a moderate resort...it won't be that much more to stay at a moderate and you don't have to deal with the loudness and craziness of some of the value resorts.

Last edited:
Partially true. Park hopper was another $60 per person....$120 total for a party of 2. Room only discount for moderate is 20%, which saves you $40 per day. Let's say you go for a week...you save $400 (roughly) by doing the room only discount (with no park hopper).

If you eat at one table service, you can bet on averaging about $70 per table service for a party of 2 (that's including if you got breakfast once or twice)...$490 on table service alone...not including any snacks, refillable mugs, or counter services.

I agree with your point that the value is not as good as it used to be...but even the non "big" eaters should still go with the moderates with free dining as opposed to the RO discount if they can. In my previous post, I said it makes sense to do deluxe with RO discount...but not the case with moderate.

What I have seen on the boards is people saying, "No free dining available, but with room only discount, it was $300 cheaper than having to do free dining so I'm good with that"....in our world, a lot of people don't think about future cost or have a good concept of "budgeting"....so, I didn't want to paint a false picture that going with RO discount is cheaper...in vacation package price, yes. Out of pocket though, no, because they will be paying for it at the end when they get their room bill and see a several hundred dollar bill at check out because of all the dining they did.

I took a look at the discounts Disney was offering for our trip (We check in 10/2.) Most of the rooms included in the offer were the most expensive category. If I have to switch from a standard room to a water view room, the value is even worse.

I took a look at the discounts Disney was offering for our trip (We check in 10/2.) Most of the rooms included in the offer were the most expensive category. If I have to switch from a standard room to a water view room, the value is even worse.
Good point. I guess I was assuming standard because that's what we've always been able to get.

Yeah, if you have to stay in a water view room, value is not going to be as good for the dining plan. And, time of year depends on it. We usually go over Labor Day week, which has the lowest rates. Point well taken.

When I'm making my points, I'm assuming a standard room during a slow time of year. In October, I know the rates go up at least 20% during that time of year....it probably still pays to have free dining, but the discount is only saving you a couple hundred bucks as opposed to several hundred dollars like it did in years past.

Good point. I guess I was assuming standard because that's what we've always been able to get.

Yeah, if you have to stay in a water view room, value is not going to be as good for the dining plan. And, time of year depends on it. We usually go over Labor Day week, which has the lowest rates. Point well taken.

When I'm making my points, I'm assuming a standard room during a slow time of year. In October, I know the rates go up at least 20% during that time of year....it probably still pays to have free dining, but the discount is only saving you a couple hundred bucks as opposed to several hundred dollars like it did in years past.

I would usually make those assumptions too, but the free dining and RO discounts they just released had such limited availabity, especially for values and moderates.

I am the travel agent. I get up to 50% off the room, a free ticket, and I have the dining plan already added. So it definitely works out to be a better deal.

Last edited:
W

And again, the person was comparing the regular dining plan to a RO discount, which means they probably wanted the one table service per day...I understand that every family is different in regards to their eating habits, BUT, I'm trying to make the point that when booking a moderate, it's still worth it to do the free regular dining plan if that's the resort you want and you want the best rate and not the other way around.

If you're wanting cheap cheap, then value with QSDP is the way to go...don't upgrade to regular dining plan then.

When you upgrade to regular dining plan from QSDP, you might as well stay at a moderate resort...it won't be that much more to stay at a moderate and you don't have to deal with the loudness and craziness of some of the value resorts.
Have you factor in intangibles like; not everyone wants to eat at TS's that much, for us it takes to much time out of the day. We are FL Resident Seasonal AP holders, so we would need to pay (upfront) for 2 day tickets that we do not need. I know they can be used later towards new APs but we would have to pay the $192 per person cost now. Your RO % off is off:) Normally Mods fall in at 30% not the 20% you noted. We stay at the Mods a lot and for us we take the RO offer over FD and know we are not losing $$. You are totally right that FD will always beat out RO if you do the TS's and need tickets.

W

Have you factor in intangibles like; not everyone wants to eat at TS's that much, for us it takes to much time out of the day. We are FL Resident Seasonal AP holders, so we would need to pay (upfront) for 2 day tickets that we do not need. I know they can be used later towards new APs but we would have to pay the $192 per person cost now. Your RO % off is off:) Normally Mods fall in at 30% not the 20% you noted. We stay at the Mods a lot and for us we take the RO offer over FD and know we are not losing $$. You are totally right that FD will always beat out RO if you do the TS's and need tickets.

His RO% is not that far off for GP offer. Per the Disney website it's up to 25% for moderates. A lot of times though RO discount at POFQ is much smaller.

I am the travel agent. I get up to 50% off the room, a free ticket, and I have the dining plan already added. So it definitely works out to be a better deal.

Haha....well, then, you just layed the smackdown on my point. NOTHING can beat that travel agent discount. Man, sign me up for that. Free ticket too? Yeah, can't go wrong with that. Good job finding the better deal. Again, I was under the assumption you were one of the GP people that called and thought they were getting a better deal with the RO discount.

W

Ok...as far as your point goes, I am only talking about GP people who really wanted the free dining discount, but then got the RO discount (and aren't existed AP FL Residents). I'm not saying that everyone must get the free dining discount. If you don't want it and aren't going to eat anything in the Disney parks, then yes, the dining plan is not for you. I'm talking about people saying the RO discount for the GP is better than free dining and they don't see themselves spending $300-$400 on food, when in actuality you end up paying A LOT of money on dining for just 2 people. I'm also assuming everyone will eat their meals ON Disney property...if you're wanting to eat at outside chain restaurants, that's fine and the discount isn't for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter