Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

To request or not request??? I am staying POFQ the first weekend in November for Wine and Dine Marathon weekend. My BFF and I are going for a girls weekend. We have booked a Garden View room. Since this is my first time staying at this resort I am unsure whether I should make a request or not. I have a subscription to Touring Plans and have made requests through them before, but I cannot figure out if I need to do that for POFQ. Advice??

I don't think making a request hurts. I didn't have anything super specific I wanted this trip (as everything's close to lobby, buses, pool, etc) so I just called and requested a room in a building on the west (?) side of the resort...buildings 4/5/6/7. No real reason except I love the frog fountain by Building 6 and it's so nice and quiet over there.

Are there pictures anywhere of what's available in the grab n' go section of the food court? We're doing a split stay with 3 nights at POFQ followed by 7 nights at ASMo and I was hoping to only do one grocery delivery once we get to ASMo. We bring at least one meal into the parks for our kids each day, so I'm wondering about things like bread, fruit, etc. Thanks!

Are there pictures anywhere of what's available in the grab n' go section of the food court? I'm wondering about things like bread, fruit, etc. Thanks!
No bread in the food court but I recall seeing bread in Jackson Square Gifts . Some fruit. If by "etc." you mean breakfast cereal and milk then you can get those in Jackson Square Gifts, too.

We returned on Saturday from a 6 night stay at POFQ. This was our first stay there and we thought it was a very nice resort. We were in building 7 and we still did not feel far from anything. All the staff were very friendly and Jim the greeter was great. My son who is 5 called him the circus man because of his costume. When we were about to leave my son went over to him for a picture. We took the picture and talked with him for a little... then he gave my son 3 Mardi Gras coins and told him it was a tradition to give those out at the end of a trip so that he could always look back at them and remember his time there. It was a special moment for us.

A few questions about the carriage rides, we're thinking of doing this seeing as it's our triple celebration, how much are they (there's 3 of us) do you have to pre-book or can you just go for one on the day and are you expected to tip?:flower1:

Yeah, we're travelling from the UK so it's nice staying a bit longer. Our flight is "only" just over 9 hours as we're flying direct for the first time. We usually stay for 14 days, but we wanted to extend it a bit and make it a more relaxing trip.
:wave2:Fellow Brit here:thumbsup2

I just booked our next annual Disney trip and chose POFQ this time. This year January 2018 we stayed in the Royal rooms at POR and we were so close to POFQ we fell in love with the resort. We are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary (Dec 30) so this will be a special trip. Let the planning commence!
party:Congratulations, we are going back next year for our 25th anniversary, as well as DHs 50th & DS 21st:jumping1::cheer2:

Last edited:
A few questions about the carriage rides, we're thinking of doing this seeing as it's our triple celebration, how much are they (there's 3 of us) do you have to pre-book or can you just go for one on the day and are you expected to tip?:flower1:

From the awesome site https://www.portorleans.org/

The cost is $55 including tax for the 25-minute ride and the carriage can hold up to four adults, or two adults and three small children (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult). You should arrive at the marina area no later than 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time and wait for the carriage to collect you. The service may be cancelled in cases of inclement weather.

• Departures are every 30 minutes during scheduled operating hours, which are normally 5:30pm — 9:30pm. There is usually a short rest break for the horses at 7:30pm so that time slot will probably not be available.
  • Reservations are recommended and can be made up to 180 days in advance via 1-407-WDW-PLAY (1-407-939-7529).
  • Guests wishing to check on same-day availability may call 1-407-824-2832, and walk-up guests will be accepted at the departure location if there are no pre-booked reservations for that time slot.
  • The price is now $55, which increased from $45 on 1 October 2017, and payment is required when you make the reservation. If you change your mind you can cancel and receive a full refund up to 24 hours prior to your booking.
  • Credit/Debit Cards cannot be used if payment is being made directly to the carriage driver, but you may charge the ride to your room account.
  • Due to the nature of the carriages they are not wheelchair accessible. Guests must be able to transfer from wheelchairs and step up into the carriage.

We do tip. If you have a specific day/time you want to do this, I highly suggest you make a reservation. Sometimes we've walked up and were able to go on a ride and sometimes they were booked.

Can I purchase a case of water from the store at POFQ?

We are only staying two nights and I didn't want to do a Prime Now order for one case of water. I'm going to wait until we get to BWV to do our water and breakfast foods order. If they don't sell water I will buy a case and have it shipped. It's much cheaper than buying bottled water!

Can I purchase a case of water from the store at POFQ?

We are only staying two nights and I didn't want to do a Prime Now order for one case of water. I'm going to wait until we get to BWV to do our water and breakfast foods order. If they don't sell water I will buy a case and have it shipped. It's much cheaper than buying bottled water!

They don't have full cases any longer. But they do sell 8-paks of 12oz bottles of dasani for $3.99 each.

I was reading the info. on the awesome PortOrleans.org site about shipping items to the hotel. It suggests putting your name and arrival date on the address label. I started assembling a few items on amazon prime now ( have never done this before) and didn't see any place to type in my arrival date. Do you think it is OK if I just have my name? Maybe I should call the hotel and tell them to expect a package for me on my check in date? We are arriving well after everything has closed and I will need to have waters and some other items to take to our room that night.
Thanks for any help. It's getting so close!

I was reading the info. on the awesome PortOrleans.org site about shipping items to the hotel. It suggests putting your name and arrival date on the address label. I started assembling a few items on amazon prime now ( have never done this before) and didn't see any place to type in my arrival date.

Just add the date as part of the address lines. Make an extra line saying "Guest arrives xxx" for example.

Andre

Due to the changes in the rooms at Pop and the difficulty of fitting two scooters in them, we are leaving our beloved resort and will be going to POFQ for our next trip. Please tell me I am going to love it and it won't be like when we stayed at Shades of Green and decided we weren't old enough to stay there and went back to Pop for subsequent trips. I see that the busses don't have lines like at Pop--how is it for scooters loading? Is sharing a bus with POR a problem? Is a standard room fine or is there a lot of noise from the parking lots? Should I go for a garden view instead? We have always done preferred or preferred pool at Pop because we like being close to the food court and the busses. I am reading that POFQ is small and nothing is too far, but I can't figure it out in comparison to what I know.

Can you tell change makes me nervous?

Due to the changes in the rooms at Pop and the difficulty of fitting two scooters in them, we are leaving our beloved resort and will be going to POFQ for our next trip. Please tell me I am going to love it and it won't be like when we stayed at Shades of Green and decided we weren't old enough to stay there and went back to Pop for subsequent trips.

I liked Port even in my adolescent days, but it is quieter than Pop (Pop is another fav of mine, but we choose if we want a high energy hotel (Pop) or a nice, quiet relaxing hotel (POFQ)). So, it depends why you didn't like Shades (I've never stayed there). Love the theme of FQ, the music, the food, etc...

I see that the busses don't have lines like at Pop--how is it for scooters loading? Is sharing a bus with POR a problem?

Scooters, wheelchairs and such have a spot marked out usually, I can't remember if the loading zone at FQ has the spot marked or not, but I've never seen an issue with loading them or unloading them. As you say, there are no queues for the buses, but it's so much smaller than somewhere like Pop it's honestly never been a problem for me at FQ, but I've not been with anyone with a scooter there.

Is a standard room fine or is there a lot of noise from the parking lots? Should I go for a garden view instead? We have always done preferred or preferred pool at Pop because we like being close to the food court and the busses. I am reading that POFQ is small and nothing is too far, but I can't figure it out in comparison to what I know.

I've not had a problem with any room category as far as noise, so I think that will be fine. It's hard to compare FQ to anything because it is the smallest... maybe think about two "sets" of the buildings at Pop built closer to the hub, and that's what you could imagine. It's nice and compact, but you don't feel crowded at all.

Can you tell change makes me nervous?

Hotel tastes are pretty subjective, but I'll just say this; Pop and Port are my two favorites at Disney. They are indeed different, but it's that difference that makes me like trading off between them. Expect a "slower" more relaxed resort, smaller food court, shorter walks, mellow jazz music, different architecture, the boat to DS, the carriage rides you can watch (or go on), etc... Hope you love it!

From the awesome site https://www.portorleans.org/

The cost is $55 including tax for the 25-minute ride and the carriage can hold up to four adults, or two adults and three small children (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult). You should arrive at the marina area no later than 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time and wait for the carriage to collect you. The service may be cancelled in cases of inclement weather.

• Departures are every 30 minutes during scheduled operating hours, which are normally 5:30pm — 9:30pm. There is usually a short rest break for the horses at 7:30pm so that time slot will probably not be available.
  • Reservations are recommended and can be made up to 180 days in advance via 1-407-WDW-PLAY (1-407-939-7529).
  • Guests wishing to check on same-day availability may call 1-407-824-2832, and walk-up guests will be accepted at the departure location if there are no pre-booked reservations for that time slot.
  • The price is now $55, which increased from $45 on 1 October 2017, and payment is required when you make the reservation. If you change your mind you can cancel and receive a full refund up to 24 hours prior to your booking.
  • Credit/Debit Cards cannot be used if payment is being made directly to the carriage driver, but you may charge the ride to your room account.
  • Due to the nature of the carriages they are not wheelchair accessible. Guests must be able to transfer from wheelchairs and step up into the carriage.

We do tip. If you have a specific day/time you want to do this, I highly suggest you make a reservation. Sometimes we've walked up and were able to go on a ride and sometimes they were booked.
:thanks:Thanks, would you say it's worth it then & how much are you expected to tip?:wave2:

I liked Port even in my adolescent days, but it is quieter than Pop (Pop is another fav of mine, but we choose if we want a high energy hotel (Pop) or a nice, quiet relaxing hotel (POFQ)). So, it depends why you didn't like Shades (I've never stayed there). Love the theme of FQ, the music, the food, etc...
Scooters, wheelchairs and such have a spot marked out usually, I can't remember if the loading zone at FQ has the spot marked or not, but I've never seen an issue with loading them or unloading them. As you say, there are no queues for the buses, but it's so much smaller than somewhere like Pop it's honestly never been a problem for me at FQ, but I've not been with anyone with a scooter there.
I've not had a problem with any room category as far as noise, so I think that will be fine. It's hard to compare FQ to anything because it is the smallest... maybe think about two "sets" of the buildings at Pop built closer to the hub, and that's what you could imagine. It's nice and compact, but you don't feel crowded at all.
Hotel tastes are pretty subjective, but I'll just say this; Pop and Port are my two favorites at Disney. They are indeed different, but it's that difference that makes me like trading off between them. Expect a "slower" more relaxed resort, smaller food court, shorter walks, mellow jazz music, different architecture, the boat to DS, the carriage rides you can watch (or go on), etc... Hope you love it!

Thank you. Your explanation of the size difference helps a LOT. With no preferred rooms to put us close to coffee and the busses, I wasn't sure what to expect. I will wrap my head around this, and I am sure I will love it.

Our problem with Shades of Green is that we constantly felt like we needed to be whispering while going through the halls. It is a beautiful place and was a wonderful spot for our daughter's wedding, but I guess we just aren't deluxe resort type people. I want to relax and have fun on vacation, not feel like I have to be on my best behavior or someone will look down their nose at me. I have to do that enough in real life.

Hi everyone, just got back from a 5-night stay at my home, POFQ. Just a few observations...

Room:
  • I put in a vague request by calling Disney for "building 6-5-4-7" so I could be on the one side of the resort. I was put in building 6.
  • Room was ready super early...got the text while on DME around 9:30am.
  • Didn't opt out of housekeeping and they left me more stuff when asked. I didn't notice Disney pen + paper in the room originally, so maybe Disney's cheaping out on that too unless you ask?
Entertainment:
  • I'd highly recommend checking out Jason + Billy at Scat Cat's on the nights they're playing. I'm not much of a fan of the type of music they play but they put on a good show and it was a nice way to drink a martini and get away from kids for a bit.
  • The pool and hot tub were fun as always. I never saw the pool too crowded, but one night there were TONS of kids in the hot tub and it was impossible to relax with kids splashing/putting their feet in the water next to your head/etc. So maybe scope it out first before you commit to a dip
Food:
  • I didn't get anything new from the food court this time around, just my regular Sassagoula Power Salald (huge) and a few grab-and-go items. Never saw it super busy.
Transportation:
  • Buses were pretty good. There were a few big lines in the morning and twice I had to wait for a second bus, which wasn't a huge deal to me...I think both of those times were MK. But be prepared during peak 'heading to park times' like in the AM and before a MK party.
  • Only shared once with Riverside, and that was coming back from Animal Kingdom around 3pm...my mom said HS shared too. Luckily, POFQ was dropped off first. Bus boards at MK and Epcot had separate stops for FQ and Riverside, but AK and HS only had one general Port Orleans stop.
  • The boat to DS was nice as always, though it felt slower this time around, maybe because for once I had somewhere to get to afterwards. Had next to no wait both coming and going.
General:
  • The frog fountain near building 6 that I love stopped working a few days in. Someone will have to report back when they're back up!
  • Other than that, grounds were spotless and beautiful as always.
Any q's, let me know. I think this was my last stay for awhile and I'll miss it!

Thank you. Your explanation of the size difference helps a LOT. With no preferred rooms to put us close to coffee and the busses, I wasn't sure what to expect. I will wrap my head around this, and I am sure I will love it.

Yeah, it's a different experience when nothing feels "far away." If there is a particular building you'd like, just put in a request, or even just "close to lobby" or "close to food court" but this is one resort we don't really bother doing that with.

Our problem with Shades of Green is that we constantly felt like we needed to be whispering while going through the halls. It is a beautiful place and was a wonderful spot for our daughter's wedding, but I guess we just aren't deluxe resort type people. I want to relax and have fun on vacation, not feel like I have to be on my best behavior or someone will look down their nose at me. I have to do that enough in real life.

Ahhh, I see! No, I don't think you'll feel that way at FQ, it's just more laid back as far as the pace (vs. Pop) and the food court can get just as loud as good ol' Pop! ;)

:thanks:Thanks, would you say it's worth it then & how much are you expected to tip?:wave2:

We liked it anyway, but it's a personal thing. Very relaxing and a nice way to spend half an hour looking at both resorts.

You are not expected to tip, and the carriage driver will most likely decline at least three times if you offer.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter