Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER Resort Information and Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by andrewilley, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Disneylover99

Disneylover99 DIS Veteran

We were there last month and our beds were great! Nice and comfy. I guess it's just hit and miss. If your bed bothers you on the first night, I would maybe ask for a room switch.

2. justreading

justreading Mouseketeer

That's exactly what I will plan to do. Thanks!

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort.

to hide this advert.
  4. justreading

justreading Mouseketeer

5. buzznina

buzznina DIS Veteran

Mattresses are like buses, "hit or miss at any resort". We have had good and not so good mattresses at all 3 resort levels, with our last stay being at GF and I did not like the mattress. I know once at CSR we had a really bad mattress and walked down to the front desk and a day later they had replaced the mattress. So if you have an issue go to the front desk and if nothing is done after 24 hrs go back and speak with a manager.

justreading and useakiss like this.
  6. mousefanmichelle

mousefanmichelle DIS Veteran

My dd and I are booked here in 46 days. I am really worried we won't like it. I keep trying to tell myself it will be fine. Will it be fine for an 18 year old and me? It seems like it is more geared toward couples (the romantic vibe of the resort) is that an accurate assumption - although the pool area looks more geared toward children than couples? I am just wanting to make sure it's a good fit for us. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

7. useakiss

useakiss Am I there yet?

Okay, these are my own very personal reasons for picking PFQ, so your mileage may vary:

1) Price: While I am splurging on this trip on other things, I can't justify the price of a luxury resort on a solo trip; without someone to share the cost, and considering the small amount of time I'll actually be in the room, the additional cost per night makes no sense. That being said, I skipped over the value resorts because this IS a splurge vacation and I don't want to feel like I'm cramped into a high-rise with tons of school tours, etc. I want the resort to provide a modicum of escape from the parks whenever I need to decompress. Moderates seem the best bang for the buck.

2) Theme: I grew up in the upper mid-west and still spend most vacations camping, so I wanted something very different from what I'm familiar with. I watched lots of walk-through videos of the moderates and realized that of all of them, the POFQ just spoke the most to me. Although I've yet to visit the real New Orleans, a part of my longs for it--the music, the atmosphere, the shaded cobblestone streets lined with wrought iron, etc. The reason I picked it over POR is a bit more complex, just a gut feeling--I don't find the whole "Antebellum plantation" thing appealing because I don't believe it's something to be romanticized. It just rubs me wrong. Like I said, your mileage may vary. I'll take the upbeat jazz atmosphere any day.

3) Size: This is the smallest of the resorts, and while that has a drawback (no table-service restaurant), it does still appear to have far more advantages. None of the moderate-level resorts have table-service restaurants that rate very highly anyway, plus if I REALLY want that, POR is within walking distance. From what I saw, it feels the most intimate and quiet--all part of that refuge feeling I was seeking. It's also only a short walk to the main building and shops (beignets for breakfast!), whereas some of the most common complaints about the others seems to be how big they are and the hike you face just to get a drink or snack.

4) Location: It's centrally located (relatively close to MK and Epcot), and the PO resorts have that water taxi access to Disney Springs (which I intend to utilize several times on my travel days and when I'm not staying in a park late). I'll take a boat ride over a bus any day! The choice of good restaurants within easy access is a solid plus. Also, of all of the resorts (including luxury), I hear the fewest complaints about buses from POFQ.

Really, the only reason I still hesitated before finally settling on POFQ was the pool. Of all the moderates, this one seems the lamest to me, which is a shame. The one at CBR just calls out to me! :) But ultimately, I do still have the option of using the POR pool, which is a bit more interesting, plus I'm getting the waterpark pass so I can go to those and get all the unique-themed water fun I could ever want.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    BestVacaEver and chelynnah like this.
  8. jlundeen

jlundeen Mickey Fanatic

Well, it is my fav resort, and I usually travel with my good Disney buddy - not my hubby. So the couple/romantic thing doesn't apply to us. We just want a nice room, less "child" oriented than the Values (not sure I could handle the screaming theming in the Values..:) ), easy access to food court, and dedicated bus transportation (most of the time).

9. useakiss

useakiss Am I there yet?

Here's a question: Right now my reservation is for Standard, but how bad is that? Is it worth bumping it up a little bit to either Garden or River?

10. ncc1701

ncc1701 Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

Standard rooms will be in buildings 1,3, 4 and 7. We always done River or Garden but that's just us. I would pick Standard at POFQ if that was the only category available.Even if they overlook the parking lot there are trees and small gardens in front of the room.

DoryGirl1963 likes this.
  11. Disneylover99

I don't think the standard rooms are bad at all. I do prefer garden, but River just brings you further away from the main building and buses.

12. Eighty8Keys

Eighty8Keys DIS Veteran

Our first two times were standard view rooms and we were very happy with the view. Although there was a view of the parking lot in the distance, we overlooked a lovely garden area. We only upgraded to garden view this last trip because I really wanted the corner room on the ground floor of bldg 4 directly across from the food court. I used the touring plans room finder and fax service and got the exact room I requested. It was wonderful.

Tardisblue and useakiss like this.
  13. Disneylover99

Good score! :thumbsup2

14. jlundeen

jlundeen Mickey Fanatic

I've always wanted that room!!! Never got it but our last two trips we've had a standard and then garden. Both great, but I think for our old tired bones, it's more important to snag ground floor to keep from climbing stairs at the end of the day

15. useakiss

useakiss Am I there yet?

I'd been told to get a room on an upper floor so you don't have people walking above you. Is the sound-proofing that bad?

16. andrewilley

andrewilley GNU Terry Pratchett

It's not too bad, but if a herd of young elephants happens to move in above you then there's not much that even industrial-grade soundproofing could do to help.

Andre

17. Eighty8Keys

Eighty8Keys DIS Veteran

I was eyeing that room on both prior trips. It was so nice not dealing with the stairs after a long day and super convenient popping over to the food court for coffee or to use the faster wifi. Was a little worried about noise from above, but I either didn't have anyone above me or they were very quiet since I didn't hear a thing.

18. Tardisblue

Tardisblue Don't Blink

The first time we stayed at POFQ we got this room (4127?) out of sheer luck. SUPER convenient. Tried requesting it again the next time we went and we weren't as lucky.

Eighty8Keys likes this.
  19. SgtTibbs

SgtTibbs RunDisney'er

I think that's general advice people always give rather than an issue specific to POFQ.

20. jlundeen

jlundeen Mickey Fanatic

We've never heard anyone above us...sometimes hear kids or loud TVs through the door if it's a connecting room, but I think overall, the main source of noise comes from people passing by outside - especially the rolling suitcases on those brick streets...

21. cheapster316

cheapster316 Mouseketeer

We are just back 1/27-1/29. We were in a garden view room building 6.
    The beds were horrible. We were only there 2 nights and I asked dh if he wanted to move and he said no it was only 1 more night.
    They were very loud creaky beds when you would move. It sometimes woke me up it was so loud. Dh slept the opposite way on the bed because he said the springs were shot.
    It was a beautiful hotel, customer service was great. We felt like the place was empty. Walked over to Boatwrights fir dinner one night and it was our favorite of the trip.
    We loved the watt taxisbut the beds and tiny bathroom were a deal breaker for us. The kids love AOA and I like 2 bathrooms in the suite.