Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DH and I stayed at Bungalow 18 for two nights just before Irma. We loved the bungalow and the location . It was our first stay at the Poly. We used the monorail to visit, eat, and shop at the GF and the Contemporary (BLT is our home resort). We did not plan park days as we wanted to spend as much time as possible just enjoying the bungalow.

We especially enjoyed the grounds. I've walked thru the Poly grounds on numerous occassions to get to the Ceremonial House - but this was my first time to really check it out.

The only negative to us (but wouldn't be for most people) was the lack of ease in leaving the property. My DH and I are within a 1 day driving distance so we usually go multiple times a year. We have found many off site restaurants, museums, etc. that we really enjoy.

The bungalows were outfitted with top of the line appliances. Wish I had that refrigerator at home. I really felt like it was a luxury accommodation.

If I were a total park junkie the location of the Poly would be perfect. My DH and I also really enjoy Disney Springs in addition to some off site activities. For us SSR location is perfect. I love staying in Congress Park and being just a few steps away from Disney Springs with all the restaurant and shopping options.

I was glad that they evacuated the bungalows before Irma. Bungalow 19 (next to us) had the roof ripped off. I would not have felt safe in a bungalow during a hurricane.

Thanks for your review. Glad you had a great stay and enjoyed the bungalow :goodvibes.

Nooo! We requested 1st floor Rarotonga for next week (wanted Niue but heard it was harder to get). I had such a hard time convincing DH the poly would be worth it and now I'm worried we'll all be disappointed. :(

The hallways in Rarotonga were in dismay. Lots of really bad touch up paint jobs.

We were in 1805 at first in Raratonga when a good inch of water pooled in the trackway for the sliding door.

Then we were moved to 3813 in Rarotonga after we complained about the water. To which the front desk says they know that a good chunk of the first floor rooms take in water along the resort. I have no idea if they tried moving everyone to 2nd or 3rd floors for the hurricane, but to admit you have an issue with rooms leaking is kind of disheartening.

We stayed in Raratonga last November. It is definitely run down. Yes they paint & patch but it was obvious they have painted & patched the same areas over & over. The wall in our room had waves in the drywall. They were spot painting the baseboards by the elevator one day. It looked a mess. I also think that for $500 plus a night, you should be sleeping on a mattress that doesn't feel like you're at a Motel 6. But....I'm sure I'm part of the problem. I'm staying 8 nights at Poly in November. I love the location and even with all of its warts, there is still something magical about staying there.

Nooo! We requested 1st floor Rarotonga for next week (wanted Niue but heard it was harder to get). I had such a hard time convincing DH the poly would be worth it and now I'm worried we'll all be disappointed. :(

I'm sure you will be fine! While not discounting other views at all, there have been posters who recently stayed in Rarotonga and were very happy with it! :)

The hallways in Rarotonga were in dismay. Lots of really bad touch up paint jobs.

We were in 1805 at first in Raratonga when a good inch of water pooled in the trackway for the sliding door.

Then we were moved to 3813 in Rarotonga after we complained about the water. To which the front desk says they know that a good chunk of the first floor rooms take in water along the resort. I have no idea if they tried moving everyone to 2nd or 3rd floors for the hurricane, but to admit you have an issue with rooms leaking is kind of disheartening.

We stayed at Fiji on the 3rd floor last trip (think it was room 3321). Hopefully, we can get the same floor and longhouse again next trip.
A room change due to hurricane weather would annoy me probably since I don't get the love of split stays, LOL. Find me a room, let me unpack, and I want to be done for the duration. Still, given the circumstances and amt of precipitation I suspect I'd stay put and accept the lower rate DW gave out.
That being said...my way is not necessarily your's and we all have our own triggers on what is unacceptable:).

We were in 1829 in Rarotonga a couple of weeks ago. Loved it.

My only complaint would be the noise from the people that may not have thought that talking near hotel rooms at midnight or 7:30 AM would have an effect on the people sleeping on the other side of the door. We have a 9-9 rule. If we're in the hallways between 9 PM and 9 AM, we're silent. We know people hit rope drop and go to bed early. We also know people come in late (from Trader Sam's!) and want to sleep in. IMO, it's unfair and unkind to be talking in the hallways when anyone has a Do Not Disturb on the door.

That all being said... the room was *38* steps from the main building. If it was raining, we could sprint from one door to the next in a few seconds and not get wet at all. Right by laundry and the bus stop, too. We'd never stayed at the Poly before, and we were a bit spoiled by the location, I think. We'd hit Trader Sam's, and the leave the girls (15 and 10) to go to the Pineapple Lanai and hang out in the room for a while. We had a monorail view, and it was a nice noise to hear it go by, especially at night.

That's too bad about your leaky room on the first floor. We stayed in the room next to yours the week before you. It rained a lot for the four days we were there and we had no leaks. Good thing you got moved before the hurricane.

It is a shame and unacceptable for a room to be anything but perfect for the guest. Unfortunately guests damage items in the room or furnishings break or wear down due to age. I think one of the biggest problems is that when items in the room a damaged or in need of attention, engineering doesn't get the message or perhaps they do and do not have time to make a fix before the next guest checks into the room. I would think housekeeping would report problems with lights, faucets or paint damage, issues they would come in contact with when they are cleaning, and it would filter over to the engineering department. I do not know what the process is, but when I check into a room that is needing attention I let someone know.

I think letting people know is key. I also think it depends on what you notice or what bothers you. If lights were burnt out, that would definitely bug me and I'd report it. But paint damage or noticeable paint touch ups wouldn't be a blip on my radar.

We absolutely loved our first floor room in Rarotonga! We ended up loving it more then our stay in Samoa last year. The location is awesome! Enjoy your trip!

My only complaint would be the noise from the people that may not have thought that talking near hotel rooms at midnight or 7:30 AM would have an effect on the people sleeping on the other side of the door. We have a 9-9 rule. If we're in the hallways between 9 PM and 9 AM, we're silent. We know people hit rope drop and go to bed early. We also know people come in late (from Trader Sam's!) and want to sleep in. IMO, it's unfair and unkind to be talking in the hallways when anyone has a Do Not Disturb on the door.

That all being said... the room was *38* steps from the main building. If it was raining, we could sprint from one door to the next in a few seconds and not get wet at all. Right by laundry and the bus stop, too. We'd never stayed at the Poly before, and we were a bit spoiled by the location, I think. We'd hit Trader Sam's, and the leave the girls (15 and 10) to go to the Pineapple Lanai and hang out in the room for a while. We had a monorail view, and it was a nice noise to hear it go by, especially at night.

I agree about Rarotonga. We were in room 1830, mid August. So we were a few steps closer, in the very first room. It really was ideal. The patio looking out toward the monorail was more than fine. We weren't going to hang out on the balcony when it was 95 degrees anyways. When you get off the monorail during an afternoon storm, and can get back to your room without getting wet. Perfection. Maybe our longhouse mates were more well behaved. I never heard anyone during the four nights we were there. The following four nights at the Yacht Club, that was a different noise story.

I agree about Rarotonga. We were in room 1830, mid August. So we were a few steps closer, in the very first room. It really was ideal. The patio looking out toward the monorail was more than fine. We weren't going to hang out on the balcony when it was 95 degrees anyways. When you get off the monorail during an afternoon storm, and can get back to your room without getting wet. Perfection. Maybe our longhouse mates were more well behaved. I never heard anyone during the four nights we were there. The following four nights at the Yacht Club, that was a different noise story.

Heh, that's funny - our first night was the 24th. Must have just missed you!

MNSSHP also started when we were there - we actually went to the first one. This may have been the cause for more people coming in later.

We live in the middle of Manhattan with a subway station literally under the building. The subway is much louder than the monorail but still have little interest in getting a monorail view room in a true BTDT moment. Heck, I'd rather hear screeching frogs, LOL.

Heh, that's funny - our first night was the 24th. Must have just missed you!

MNSSHP also started when we were there - we actually went to the first one. This may have been the cause for more people coming in later.

We also checked in on the 24th. We definitely weren't loud in the morning. I don't think we were loud late at night. But we did come back really late from the first party. Hopefully it wasn't us you heard. :blush:

Your room location is awesome, but everyone in Rarotonga walks by it to get to the GCH.

Thanks for reassuring me Rarotonga isn't that bad! Honestly, we'd probably be happy anywhere at the poly, but we're hoping for a ground floor room close to GHC since we have young toddlers and a big double stroller to lug around. I am a little worried about the water coming in since it looks like more rain is coming in next week, but it sounds like that's not usually an issue for most people. 5 days!!!

Soooo excited that tomorrow night is our room only check-in date and Saturday our package begins! Quick question though: is there a direct phone number for the Polynesian that I can call to confirm they received the room requests Touring Plans faxed them earlier this week? Especially with the craziness of Irma I'm hoping it didn't get lost in the shuffle.

Also due to the poor health of my brother, I would like to give a direct phone number to my mom to call if she needs to reach me. Thanks so much!

I'm sure this has been asked 1,000 times, but... how long do you allow for transportation to the MK? If we want to be walking into MK at 8:30, what time should we be at the Poly monorail stop?

I'm sure this has been asked 1,000 times, but... how long do you allow for transportation to the MK? If we want to be walking into MK at 8:30, what time should we be at the Poly monorail stop?
I believe they say they run every 20 minutes. I don't know if that's true, necessarily; I think they're quicker.

If you want to walk into MK at 8:30, I'd get to the monorail stop at 8 to make sure your bases are covered.

Thanks for reassuring me Rarotonga isn't that bad! Honestly, we'd probably be happy anywhere at the poly, but we're hoping for a ground floor room close to GHC since we have young toddlers and a big double stroller to lug around. I am a little worried about the water coming in since it looks like more rain is coming in next week, but it sounds like that's not usually an issue for most people. 5 days!!!
Here's another recent review of Rarotonga longhouse that gives a different prospective:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...tating-us-tr-8-26-9-4-17-update-9-11.3631928/

HTH!

Here's another recent review of Rarotonga longhouse that gives a different prospective:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...tating-us-tr-8-26-9-4-17-update-9-11.3631928/

HTH!

We liked the convenience in terms of logistics, but coming from a refurbed Pop room that normally goes for 1/5th the price of a Poly room we weren't blown away with the in room offerings.

In our second room, the towel bar on the vanity was just hanging on, it wasn't bolted down.

The knob for hot/cold water in the shower fell off and was just placed on top of the mechanism. Found that one out after I went to pull my shower pouf off the knob and it got stuck and off came the entire thing.

My GF has pictures of awful touch up paint jobs.

I get part of the price difference is location, location, and location, and being able to use the monorail. But going off the room, yes the Poly rooms are bigger, but to be in 2 different rooms, that both had a myriad of issues is disappointing.

I would say: my experience last week was decent. The boats were running "early". Be cautious with the monorail if you have a hard time to make. We used it nearly 7 days, usually 2-3x per day. During that span, it did break down on us 1 time. We were stopped at GF and ended up walking to the GF boat dock. That delay took about 45 minutes total. The positive side of the monorail - one morning we left our room in Samoa at 7:15 and were at the gates of MK waiting at 7:30. What a treat that was. Had I known that day was going to be so efficient, I'd have let the kids sleep an extra 10 minutes....LOL

Soooo excited that tomorrow night is our room only check-in date and Saturday our package begins! Quick question though: is there a direct phone number for the Polynesian that I can call to confirm they received the room requests Touring Plans faxed them earlier this week? Especially with the craziness of Irma I'm hoping it didn't get lost in the shuffle.

Also due to the poor health of my brother, I would like to give a direct phone number to my mom to call if she needs to reach me. Thanks so much!

How exciting! Hope you have a great trip :yay:.

Unfortunately, there's no direct number to any of the resorts. When you call the number associated with a resort, the call is routed to a call center. The CMs answer as if they are at that particular resort, but they are in a call center and not at the actual resort.

I'm just curious, since you are staying CL did you also submit requests through DSS, or just doing TP? That's what I always do (send via DSS). On occasion I have also e-mailed them later "just to make sure" my requests were noted as I intended.

Note that rooms are assigned 3-5ish days out, so you've probably already been assigned.

Hope you have a great trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter