Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a mention to be cautious with your luggage when you arrive at your room. I bumped into a family on Boutiki buying clothes and swimsuits and they mentioned they were buying because they had discovered bedbugs in their room. They had been moved right away but they had to take out all of their belongings to be "cleaned", hence having to buy clothes. I have always read online about not bringing your belongings into the room before checking it out, but I never remember to do it myself! On the plus side, you can do a bug check and take some room photos before it gets all messy with your stuff!
Years ago, I had a student that brought bed bugs into my classroom...cockroaches too. They hid in his shirt collar and backpack. The classroom had to be sprayed by exterminators twice that year. I got in the habit of keeping my things in giant Ziploc bags. After that, we now travel with our clothes packed in giant Ziploc bags inside our suitcases. We never unpacked, although you could easily put the bags with the clothes in the dresser drawers. I bring extra Ziplocs for dirty laundry. I always check the mattresses for the telltale signs before we sit on the beds.

We got the same room two years in a row in Rarotonga. Third floor - last room on the left. Years ago we got the same room two years in a row at POFQ!! What are the odds?
That's cool! We were third floor Rarotonga last room on the right # 3830 , we loved it. Hope we get it again.

A good tip is to park all baggage in your bathroom while you check. Bathrooms and bedbugs do not mix.

Where do you check, I thought they hide until night. :scared:

Auroraborealis is right, put your luggage in the bathroom when you do a bed bug check. After a friend at work told me how she had to pay 5,000$ to rid her home of bedbugs after a trip, I was vigilant about checking.

I watched a few videos about how to check your hotel room for bedbugs (the show dateline had a really good one, I believe it's still on YouTube / internet). The videos also show you what the bugs look like and what an infected mattress looks like so definitely watch a video. You are correct that they are nocturnal. From what I saw on the videos , 2-4am is their "feeding time."

What I do after I put my luggage is in the bathroom is I get my strong everlast LED bright flashlight that I've packed (I bought it from target and it's small but powerful) and I pull back the sheets and all coverings from all four corners and shine the light and pay special attention to the mattress seams. I also look in the bedroom dresser drawers. I make sure there are no small dark spots on the mattress. I pick up the phone (look under the base) and alarm clock as bed bugs can hide there too. I look under the two night dressers near the bed, and if there is a food out couch I inspect too. I also shine the light on / check out the bedroom curtains.

Even after all this I'm still afraid of bringing home bedbugs (from hitchhikers in other suitcases ) so I wash all the clothes I've packed in hot water and out them in the drier on antibacterial setting. (Heat is the only thing that kills bedbugs). I also vacuum my suitcases and check all the pockets.

I know it sounds like a lot to do but after hearing just how expensive it can be to get rid of them, it makes me feel better.

I've also read stories on bedbug registry website - you can look up Disney hotels and people report which rooms they encountered bedbugs. Makes for interesting reading, yikes! :eek:

http://bedbugregistry.com

http://bedbugregistry.com/hotel/FL/Orlando/Walt-Disney-World-Resort

Last edited:
Auroraborealis is right, put your luggage in the bathroom when you do a bed bug check. After a friend at work told me how she had to pay 5,000$ to rid her home of bedbugs after a trip, I was vigilant about checking.

I watched a few videos about how to check your hotel room for bedbugs (the show dateline had a really good one, I believe it's still on YouTube / internet). The videos also show you what the bugs look like and what an infected mattress looks like so definitely watch a video. You are correct that they are nocturnal. From what I saw on the videos , 2-4am is their "feeding time."

What I do after I put my luggage is in the bathroom is I get my strong everlast LED bright flashlight that I've packed (I bought it from target and it's small but powerful) and I pull back the sheets and all coverings from all four corners and shine the light and pay special attention to the mattress seams. I also look in the bedroom dresser drawers. I make sure there are no small dark spots on the mattress. I pick up the phone (look under the base) and alarm clock as bed bugs can hide there too. I look under the two night dressers near the bed, and if there is a food out couch I inspect too. I also shine the light on / check out the bedroom curtains.

Even after all this I'm still afraid of bringing home bedbugs (from hitchhikers in other suitcases ) so I wash all the clothes I've packed in hot water and out them in the drier on antibacterial setting. (Heat is the only thing that kills bedbugs). I also vacuum my suitcases and check all the pockets.

I know it sounds like a lot to do but after hearing just how expensive it can be to get rid of them, it makes me feel better.

I've also read stories on bedbug registry website - you can look up Disney hotels and people report which rooms they encountered bedbugs. Makes for interesting reading, yikes! :eek:

http://bedbugregistry.com
Thank you for the detailed reply. Going to watch some videos and look at that link.

Yes, it was on Tuesday.
Ok so this is terrifying l! lol! We check in on Tuesday so will definitely do a check. I have a question. I usually check the 4 corners of the bed but noticed lately most places have the mattress inside a zipped covering. Do you remove those as well? I have tried but always find it hard to unzip/remove that.

Ok so this is terrifying l! lol! We check in on Tuesday so will definitely do a check. I have a question. I usually check the 4 corners of the bed but noticed lately most places have the mattress inside a zipped covering. Do you remove those as well? I have tried but always find it hard to unzip/remove that.

I am not sure what to do about such mattress covers. However, if the hotel has done it right and bought a quality product, ideally that matress cover is actually a bed bug proof cover. Quite a few hotels are going to that now -- protects the mattress and thus saves them $ if there is a bed bug infestation. Also, bed bugs may not like the covers as much since there are not nice nooks for them to hie out in like in the mattress itself, which might reduce the risk of an infestation taking hold by displacing it.

SW

Hi we stayed at Disney last summer at Board Walk Villas and the mattress there did not have a zipped covering, Yes I probably would unzip to check.

Just a mention to be cautious with your luggage when you arrive at your room. I bumped into a family on Boutiki buying clothes and swimsuits and they mentioned they were buying because they had discovered bedbugs in their room. They had been moved right away but they had to take out all of their belongings to be "cleaned", hence having to buy clothes. I have always read online about not bringing your belongings into the room before checking it out, but I never remember to do it myself! On the plus side, you can do a bug check and take some room photos before it gets all messy with your stuff!
Do you know what building it was?

We're staying at the Poly for the first time in less than 3 weeks:cool1:
Two questions - can we bring our own coffee maker? We prefer it over the pods. And how big is the fridge? I'm wondering if I should bring a cooler as well to store cold items?
TIA!

We're staying at the Poly for the first time in less than 3 weeks:cool1:
Two questions - can we bring our own coffee maker? We prefer it over the pods. And how big is the fridge? I'm wondering if I should bring a cooler as well to store cold items?
TIA!

Don't see any reason why you couldn't bring your own coffee maker if you feel like it. For the fridge, here are pics. It's a small dorm room type fridge.

IMG_1771.JPG

15.JPG

Should I pack a power strip for charging all of our phones and camera batteries? Or have the Poly rooms been updated with lots of USB ports? When we stayed at CBR two years ago we were pleasantly surprised with all the USB charging ports available all over the room. Then last year we stayed at AKL and were frustrated to find the only accessibly outlets at all were in the bathroom. And I prefer not to charge electronics in the bathroom. What should I expect at Poly? Thanks!

Should I pack a power strip for charging all of our phones and camera batteries? Or have the Poly rooms been updated with lots of USB ports? When we stayed at CBR two years ago we were pleasantly surprised with all the USB charging ports available all over the room. Then last year we stayed at AKL and were frustrated to find the only accessibly outlets at all were in the bathroom. And I prefer not to charge electronics in the bathroom. What should I expect at Poly? Thanks!

Assuming we're talking about the resort side (not the DVC side), about a month ago I would have told you yes, but in the last month or so Poly has installed new (larger) TVs and made modifications to the TV cabinet and nightstand which included adding a TON of new electric and USB outlets. The pics below are from the Hawaii longhouse earlier this month. I'm pretty sure that all of the longhouses have had this done by now, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Here's a pic of the new TV/dresser area. The yellow circles each have two electric and two USB outlets. So that's six electric and six USB outlets here alone. That's a HUGE improvement from what was here before. Of note, the electric outlets themselves are new and will actually hold a plug. Poly vets may remember the outlets that used to be below the mirror in this pic were very old/loose and often wouldn't even hold an Apple charger without it slipping out. Not a problem anymore.
IMG_1789.JPG

A closer look at one of the 'banks' of outlets....
IMG_1786.JPG

They also added a bank of outlets to the nightstand, which now has two electric and two USB outlets plus the two on the clock.
IMG_1783.JPG

So for those counting, that's 10 USB outlets and 8 electric outlets all in relatively normal/easily accessible areas for electronics.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Assuming we're talking about the resort side (not the DVC side), about a month ago I would have told you yes, but in the last month or so Poly has installed new (larger) TVs and made modifications to the TV cabinet and nightstand which included adding a TON of new electric and USB outlets. The pics below are from the Hawaii longhouse earlier this month. I'm pretty sure that all of the longhouses have had this done by now, but I'm not 100% sure on that...

So for those counting, that's 10 USB outlets and 8 electric outlets all in relatively normal/easily accessible areas for electronics.

Hope that helps.

That helps SO MUCH! Thank you!!!

I always pack a power strip. ;) Even if there are lots of outlets, we always end up with a cord that's too short to reach somewhere or too big of a concentration in one place. The last trip my husband and I went on, I forgot it. Tried to pack light because we didn't have the kids with us. Things should be easier, right? Had to plug my phone (which is my alarm) in on the other side of the room. It was a huge pain. Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!