Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my opinion, but in my view overcrowding at the Poly pools is due more to the smallish size of both pools and pool decks relative to the size/number of guests at the resort. Sure, you're going to get some non-guests that break the rules and find their way in, follow behind someone, etc - but I don't think that's the sole cause for it feeling/being crowded. Maybe a small piece of it, but not that main contributing factor.

The total SF of water and deck area at Poly is just smaller overall than some other resorts, so it can feel very crowded at times.

When are you going? The only time I've felt the "people soup" problem was last July, late afternoon. That was the only time where I was like "this is no fun, let's get out."

Thanks for the info. We plan on going in April, I guess I was more concerned at the number of guests that I saw complain that there was no lock on the gate to enter. MANY people were complaining that a MB is not required to enter the pools. These were as of 2015 into early 2016 posts though. So I was wondering if this problem has been rectified. Even at AOA there was a MB scan to open the gate.

Thanks for the info. We plan on going in April, I guess I was more concerned at the number of guests that I saw complain that there was no lock on the gate to enter. MANY people were complaining that a MB is not required to enter the pools. These were as of 2015 into early 2016 posts though. So I was wondering if this problem has been rectified. Even at AOA there was a MB scan to open the gate.

Both Poly pools are behind locked gates accessible via magic band. I've lost track of the exact dates they were installed but it's been at least a couple of years for Lava, Oasis was roughly a year later. It was whenever the major renovations occured to both, which were within the last couple of years (but I'm not totally certain on the dates).

At Lava, there were a lot of complaints about the gates at first either not working, not shutting, problems with bands, etc. I experienced some of those in the first trip or two after the pool was redone but haven't on recent trips.

The gates deter some, but not all. It's not hard to just stand there and wait to follow someone in, or someone lets you in because they think they should, etc.

My opinion aside, I do wish Disney would actively staff the Lava Pool entrances at peak times, like they do at BC/YC all the time.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
We're here now- it's our second time in 6 months, and we scan to get in both pools. I haven't felt it was overcrowded during either trip. I'm sure some could wait until someone scans and slide in. But I can tell you if I see an entire family by the gate waiting....I'm not holding the gate. :thumbsup2

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I will most likely be staying here for our Engagement trip in November if the deals are available! We decided to splurge and stay here for a magical trip. Are there any rumors for any Room discounts for the fall? Also, how much is Poly usually discounted?

Never stayed at poly before but have done breakfast at 'Ohana twice. Staying at the poly in August. I have booked 'Ohana for both breakfast & dinner, and also Spirit of Aloha... is there something I'm missing? A highly recommend restaurant we really shouldn't miss since we're going to be there anyways? Thanks

Never stayed at poly before but have done breakfast at 'Ohana twice. Staying at the poly in August. I have booked 'Ohana for both breakfast & dinner, and also Spirit of Aloha... is there something I'm missing? A highly recommend restaurant we really shouldn't miss since we're going to be there anyways? Thanks

We tried Kona Cafe on our last trip a few years ago and really liked it. Maybe someone who has been more recently can chime in as well. Enjoy! We are staying at the Poly again in September - can't wait!

For those that have been during the month of December...what did you think of the Christmas decorations? We are planning a December trip and are looking forward to the parks and resorts all lit up but from what I've read online, the decorations at The Polynesian are sparse. What did you think?

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I will most likely be staying here for our Engagement trip in November if the deals are available! We decided to splurge and stay here for a magical trip. Are there any rumors for any Room discounts for the fall? Also, how much is Poly usually discounted?

Look into renting DVC points if you haven't already!

For those that have been during the month of December...what did you think of the Christmas decorations? We are planning a December trip and are looking forward to the parks and resorts all lit up but from what I've read online, the decorations at The Polynesian are sparse. What did you think?

Compared to other resorts the decorations are nice but sparse. Quickly walk over to GF and checkout their decorations including the awesome Gingerbread house.

I also went to check out WL to see their tree in the lobby. Beautiful!

Enjoy your stay!

We tried Kona Cafe on our last trip a few years ago and really liked it. Maybe someone who has been more recently can chime in as well. Enjoy! We are staying at the Poly again in September - can't wait!
Ok thanks! I'll check out the menu :)

Is there a place in the GCH to get Leis currently? I've seen some pictures of what appears to be a CM making them on other websites. Do they cost anything?

Do they still do hula lessons in the GCH / give out leis upon arrival? Take my "still" with a grain of salt as I've never stayed at the Polynesian before, but have read about these things online, but not sure if they're accurate/a current thing.

I have a question about room requests. We have a DVC standard view studio booked (on points, not cash reservation) and it seems that the most popular request seems Tokelau. Of course I would love a room there as well, but really my main issue is that I don't want a parking lot view. I am considering to put exactly this in as a request with Member Services and just ask for "not parking lot view". Has anyone tried this? I am a bit concerned as I am not sure if putting a negative wording in makes sense. I am afraid someone would miss out on the NOT and then we will end up with the exact oposite of what we want...

We're here now- it's our second time in 6 months, and we scan to get in both pools. I haven't felt it was overcrowded during either trip. I'm sure some could wait until someone scans and slide in. But I can tell you if I see an entire family by the gate waiting....I'm not holding the gate. :thumbsup2

Hope you're having a great time! :wizard:

As a pp mentioned, the Poly decorations are nice, but nothing like what you'll find at some of the other resorts (especially the WL & GF). All of the resorts are nicely decorated, some just have more than others :).

I have a question about room requests. We have a DVC standard view studio booked (on points, not cash reservation) and it seems that the most popular request seems Tokelau. Of course I would love a room there as well, but really my main issue is that I don't want a parking lot view. I am considering to put exactly this in as a request with Member Services and just ask for "not parking lot view". Has anyone tried this? I am a bit concerned as I am not sure if putting a negative wording in makes sense. I am afraid someone would miss out on the NOT and then we will end up with the exact oposite of what we want...

I'm thinking of requesting Moorea for just that reason!

I'm thinking of requesting Moorea for just that reason!
We have only ever stayed in Moorea (when it was Tahiti). Definitely no parking lot views there! :) We were bummed when we found out it was going to go DVC as we loved that location. Less foot traffic and quiet. But it was cheaper (~$300) to stay in the studios vs. regular room for our dates so this will be our first Moorea stay.

Everyone gets a cheap, fake lei at GCH while checking in/on request/at 'Ohana. They're the standard Oriental Trading Company type leis that come 1 billion to a box.

The fresh floral leis in the lobby, made by Auntie, are something like $25 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter