Disney's Magical Express

EvanMaddieMouse

Mouseketeer
We have always rented a car staying at WDW. This time, we are toying with the idea of going car-less and using onsite transport. It will save us around $400 for the rental and then, of course, the savings of not having to fill a tank with $4.00+ gas!

Who has used DME and how exactly does it work? How long did it take to get your luggage to your room, what did you do at the airport (Just find the DME bus and leave?) and did your luggage make it home okay? If I hear positive experiences, I will talk DH into using onsite transport this time.

Thanks!:worship:

DME is very easy and 99% of the time quick and easy. I have probably used them a good 12 times.Most of the time I am at my resort within an hour-hour an a half from landing.

What day of the week and time are you landing? I had never came in on a weekend and 2 weeks ago we landed at 10:30 on SAturday. The line was through all the ropes and down past 2 car rental counters. We were trying to impress the in laws for their 1st trip and I thought of grabbing a taxi instead. My hubby said lets wait a few minutes and in 20 minutes we were on our bus. It was the longest line ever. I don't know if I had always been lucky before, but the line did move fast.

Coming home this time they couldn't check us in but I had called Continental and they confirmed that it was a problem with their computers.

I do love DME, this was one inconveniece out of a good 12 trips. Make sure you place those yellow tags on your bags. btw we did get our bags really quick this time.

We used it 2x ('0 and '06) so not a reall recent experience but I will give it to you anyway. It was great. We jsut checked in at the designated desk at the airport(they will direct you) and got on the bus to our hotel. Both times there were only @10 people on the bus and they did not make us sit there and wait for any others, we waited 5-10 min max. Our bags got delivered in @3 hours but they tell you it can more than that. You'll have to allow for the max just in case. We just packed our swim stuff and our first night dinner stuff in carryons just in case.
On the way back , we got picked up @2 1/2 hours before our flight but I figured with a rental car you need to allow at least that much time anyway.

We had absolutley no problems at all but I do know that you will hear both sides of the argument on these boards. You will just have to weigh the info you get and make a decision that best for you.

We are hoping to go back in Dec ths year:cool1: and will DEFINITELY be using ME.

Good luck

We used it on a trip in Sept/Oct of last year. Our luggage was in our room by about 2pm that afternoon. We didn't have any problems getting it back home either.

We were at our resort about an hour after landing.

To me, it takes all of the worry out of a trip. We drive to nashville, get on a plane, then get on magical express. We get to the hotel and use the park transportation the entire time. At the end of the trip, we get back on ME and go to the airport, fly to nashville, drive home. There are NO worries about getting the rental, parking, driving, gas, transfering luggage, returning the rental. It is EASY.

We have always rented a car staying at WDW. This time, we are toying with the idea of going car-less and using onsite transport. It will save us around $400 for the rental and then, of course, the savings of not having to fill a tank with $4.00+ gas!

Who has used DME and how exactly does it work? How long did it take to get your luggage to your room, what did you do at the airport (Just find the DME bus and leave?) and did your luggage make it home okay? If I hear positive experiences, I will talk DH into using onsite transport this time.

Thanks!:worship:

Sorry I realized that I didn't exactly answer your questions.

When you arrive at MCO you follow the signs to the baggage claim on side A (I think its on the booklit you receive). You pass bag claim and go to the bottom and you see the DME desk. You check in at the desk and they send you to the red carpet to catch a bus. The most I have waited was maybe 10 minutes. The buses will stop at 2-3 resorts. We arrrived at 12p and our room wasn't ready so we had lunch in the food court and when we came up our room and bags were there.

Even when we drive we use the buses. I have never had a problem with a long wit for a bus.

Just wanted to say thanks! We will be using DME for the first time this year and I was a bit anxious about how it worked! :)

We used DME and it was really easy getting from the airport to WDW. After you land, you will see signs all over on where to go (follow the magic carpet). You don't mess with bags or anything. We landed around 9:00pm and waited about 5 minutes for a bus. Besides us, there were only about 8 other people on the bus. There are TV screens throughout the bus that play Disney movies, so the kids watched those on the way to our resort. We got to the resort around 10:20. We didn't get our luggage though until after midnight. That was the downside because we had to wait up and couldn't just go to sleep. We couldn't imagine what was taking so long since the bus was nearly empty. Had we arrived during the day, the luggage wait would have been no big deal.

How come you pay $400 for a car rental? That sounds awfully high. We are leaving today for our trip (woo hoo!) and have a standard sized rental for $12 per day for 10 days via priceline. We could have upgraded to a larger SUV for $7 more per day, but really didn't need to.

Just wanted to say thanks! We will be using DME for the first time this year and I was a bit anxious about how it worked! :)

Thanks from me too! We have been twice since DME started, we've seen the buses but haven't ridden them. I'm one of those that likes to know exactly what I'm doing every moment. I get frustrated easily if I don't know how something works, especially when I just want to get to the parks!

I'm excited, but we're not going till December so I have to stop wishing the summer away and just be patient. :snail: :snail: :snail:

:disrocks:

How come you pay $400 for a car rental? That sounds awfully high. We are leaving today for our trip (woo hoo!) and have a standard sized rental for $12 per day for 10 days via priceline. We could have upgraded to a larger SUV for $7 more per day, but really didn't need to.

We've always rented a minivan, with the big carseat and stroller, plus luggage, we like having the room. Plus, we generally end our 7 or 8 days at the park with a few days at Cocoa Beach, so we have the rental for 10 or 11 days total. We won't be doing the beach this time (kids are so disappointed! but hey, they get Disney!) so this seems like a nice way to save money. Since the cost of absolutely EVERYTHING is skyrocketing!

BTW, how do you like priceline? I'm always tempted to use them, but with the "not-know-till-you-book" factor, I always back away. How's your experiences been?

Check out the Transportation Board! There is a ton of info on DME there- answers to questions you might not even have thought of yet.

I have had pretty good experiences with DME. With the price of gas right now it is an even nicer perk!

We didn't get our luggage though until after midnight. That was the downside because we had to wait up and couldn't just go to sleep. We couldn't imagine what was taking so long since the bus was nearly empty. Had we arrived during the day, the luggage wait would have been no big deal.

FYI for next time - you can call bell services and have them hold your luggage until the morning. When you wake up, give them a call and they will bring it right up. Also, the luggage doesn't go on the bus that you are on. They collect ALL the luggage at the airport and bring it to the resorts on trucks. I'm guessing with a flight that late, they will wait for ALL the late flights to land and then take it all at once.

We landed a little after 4 pm and were in our room at 6:30. Our luggage was there when we returned to our room at 9:30. Incidentally, we didn't receive our yellow ME luggage tags. In this case, you give the ME agent your luggage claim stickers and choose from a sheet of examples what your luggage looks like. I was a little nervous, but it went off w/o a hitch.

The whole service was indispensable since I was traveling alone w/ a 4yo :thumbsup2

We've used it on all of our 3 trips and it is great! This past time, however, we got our own luggage since we arrived late at night. It was easy to do and I would do it again as it was nice not having to wait for our luggage to be delivered to our room. Following everyone else off of the plane and to baggage claim was also easier than having to follow the signs ourselved, LOL!! :rotfl2: A Disney rep was by baggage claim, too, for help; and from baggage the ME desk was only an elevator ride away.

It looks like you will have a lot of luggage, but like the poster above, I would encourage some to consider grabbing their own luggage before you hit the bus. We did this, and were so glad we had everything in our room before we went to the parks, and I didn't have to worry about it. You just get your own luggage, and wheel it over to the Disney bus, and they will put it on the bus you board. Just don't forget to get it when you are dropped off at your resort. ;)

We were going on a Disney cruise after our stay at the parks, and I had mightmares about losing any part of our luggage.

Very easy to find, we have used it four times and waited in long lines 2 times. The first time we used it we didn't get our luggage until 3:00 am (we arrived at 7:00 pm) we almost hired the towncar again for the next trip, but decided to save the $, we got our luggage in just 3 hours after we arrived that time.

Used it twice in the last 6 or so months. No wait the first time, maybe a ten minute wait the second time, but they kept us entertained with Disney trivia. Luggage is supposed to be delivered within 3 hrs, but you need to remember that if it is later, it may not be Disney's fault. If the airline mislaid your luggage, sent it to another airport, what not, Disney doesn't tell you that, they just get the luggage to you as soon as possible. I am under the impression that if you have a late arrival they are supposed to hold the luggage til the following morning unless you specify otherwise.

We used it for the first time last year. We stayed in the Ft. Wilderness area cabins. At the airport, we went to the bus location and got on the bus. As I recall, we waited on the air conditioned bus (with a Disney movie playing) until they got our luggage from the airline and put it into the bottom of the bus.

Once we got to the cabin check in, they had unloaded our luggage to the side walk and a CM loaded our luggage into a van. She took us to our cabin and unloaded our luggage for us after showing us around the cabin.

The whole senario was reversed when we checked out. Called for a CM to come get us with the van. Checked out. Loaded the luggage into the bus....headed to the airport.

I prefer using ME over renting a car...unless we absolutely have to leave the Disney property. Saves so much money...:goodvibes

We're a family of five. If four or five of us are traveling we drive (from Maryland).

If it's three or two of us traveling, we fly and use DME. We haven't rented a car since this service became available. It's just not worth it. Even with the cost of an occasional taxi or ordering food from off-site, it all adds up to way less than the cost of renting a car.

Also, DME was a great convenience when we didn't all arrive or depart on the same flights. Several times one or more of my college-age kids had to arrive late or depart early. With DME available, DH did not have to leave the parks to go to the airport -- easily a two-hour round-trip waste of valuable fun time.

Hi, any body could let me know usually when you will get your magic express luggage tag?

thanks ahead

ColoradoMom!! said:
It looks like you will have a lot of luggage, but like the poster above, I would encourage some to consider grabbing their own luggage before you hit the bus. We did this, and were so glad we had everything in our room before we went to the parks, and I didn't have to worry about it. You just get your own luggage, and wheel it over to the Disney bus, and they will put it on the bus you board. Just don't forget to get it when you are dropped off at your resort
And don't forget to tip every service person who handles your luggage, if you choose this route. This includes any SkyCap who helps you, and the bus driver, and any Bell Services/Luggage Assistance person who touches your luggage.

Disney covers the tip for luggage delivered via the standard Magical Express process (sorted at airport, put on trucks, delivered to resorts, sorted, delivered to rooms). Guests who pick up their own luggage and bring it to the bus are responsible for all applicable tips - including the one for Bell Services bringing your luggage to your room.

mtblujeans said:
We used it for the first time last year. We stayed in the Ft. Wilderness area cabins. At the airport, we went to the bus location and got on the bus. As I recall, we waited on the air conditioned bus (with a Disney movie playing) until they got our luggage from the airline and put it into the bottom of the bus.
Nope. That's not what happened at ALL. DME-tagged luggage is pulled before any luggage is placed on the carousels; it is transported to a sorting facility at the airport, and is delivered to the resorts by truck. If your luggage was on your bus, it's because you claimed it yourself and transported it to the bus.

We've used it on all of our 3 trips and it is great! This past time, however, we got our own luggage since we arrived late at night. It was easy to do and I would do it again as it was nice not having to wait for our luggage to be delivered to our room. Following everyone else off of the plane and to baggage claim was also easier than having to follow the signs ourselved, LOL!! :rotfl2: A Disney rep was by baggage claim, too, for help; and from baggage the ME desk was only an elevator ride away.

Glad to know this! Since we are getting in late at night I would rather grab our own luggage...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter