(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1417.JPG IMG_1418.JPG IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1415.JPG
So the June discounts came out and I am so disappointed. We booked GF using rented DVC points (first time) for our 10 night stay in June. We did this because I ran the numbers and I just "knew" that Disney would never discount the GF low enough to justify paying for a 10 night stay in cash. We stayed here last June and DH and I both said that we never wanted to stay anywhere else again... however, 2 long trips in 2 years meant that I should *try* and save some money where we could.

Well, fast forward to now and the 40% passholder discount means that we are only paying $30 less per night than if we had paid cash. When you add in the fact that I will be "buying" the extra towel package each day, it would have essentially been the same amount of money to stay in Boca Chica again where we fell in love with the resort.

Has anyone stayed in a studio before? How does it compare to a regular room? We loved Boca Chica and the daily housekeeping.... UGH. I guess that I made a mistake and I'll just have to live with it. I hope that it still has that "magical" feeling that we had staying the regular part of the resort.
Did you actually try to book for your dates? I say that because often what I would have wanted wasn't available so my back,up plan was the best after all.

I did a 2 br and the 2nd bedroom is the same except for the door. It really is different look than the standard gf rooms.

. I just had a studio at poly and they are similar layouts,

1 queen bed, 1 soda sleeper and then a flip down bed. I'll try to get pix for ya.

The villa area is close to the beach pool and quick walk to main building. It's also close to poly with the pathway,

Last edited:
Hi everyone, newbie to the Grand Floridian here! I've stayed a few times at the Poly, and looked into booking a trip September 29-Oct 5th, 2019 to take advantage of free dining and my son being free since he turns 3 in early October. There is pretty much nothing at the Poly, and many other resorts standard rooms are booked too but the GF is wide open. Am I missing something here? Is there any construction going on or some other reason people aren't booking at the Grand? We'll be traveling with my 6 year old daughter and my almost 3 year old little guy. I've only ever walked around the lobby, I haven't seen the grounds or the pool but in pics it looks like the kids would have just as much fun at the GF kiddie area as they have at the Poly. I'm thinking about booking unless there's some reason I shouldn't. Thanks! :)

We stayed in April of 18 with my infant and my older child. There are loads of kids and it's very kid friendly. Don't let the decor fool you! It is simply amazing! The kids will love it too.

One of my favorite things about our stay at GF was the amazing view (lucky for us it was a free upgrade to a lagoon view). My infant's crib overlooked the lagoon. What a lucky baby to wake up to that view! Actually, we all were very lucky for such a gorgeous view.

! image.png

One of my favorite things about our stay at GF was the amazing view (lucky for us it was a free upgrade to a lagoon view). My infant's crib overlooked the lagoon. What a lucky baby to wake up to that view! Actually, we all were very lucky for such a gorgeous view.
We had a free upgrade to Big Pine Key with a room view similar to that one. I loved that view and Big Pine Key is very close to the main building and the courtyard pool. :)

I've stayed in Conch Key and Boca Chica with lagoon views. My favorite has been Boca Chica! If I turned slightly left I could see the castle! That said, Boca Chica was a little further to walk to amenities since you go around the pool. Conch Key is closer to the boat launch and has a back exit closer to Gasparilla.
Thanks PolyRob! Both sound like they have great elements I should consider. Or I just accept whichever one they assign us to as I'm sure you can't go wrong either way. Hmm...

October is a popular time, with Food and Wine and Mickey’s Not So Scary, so if you are interested, you should act soon. It is already within the 11 month window.

I have stayed in both 1BR and 2BR at VGF. Both are spectacular.
Both have a full kitchen, balconies, washer/dryer, etc.

A one BR has a King bed in the bedroom. There is a queen-sized sofa and a Murphy bed in the living area.
The Master BR has an adjoining sink area with a spa-type tub. That adjoins the bathroom, which has another sink area, a walk-in shower, and a toilet. Usually the living room dwellers would use this sink, while the Master BR dwellers use the other sink. But all will share the shower and toilet.

A 2BR comes in 2 varieties. A 2BR lockoff sleeps up to 10. It is basically a 1BR as described above, with an adjoining studio. The studio has a bathroom so you have 2 showers, 2 bathtubs, 2 toilets etc. You have a King Bed in the Master, a Queen Bed and a queen sofa in the Studio, A Queen sofa in the living area of the 1BR section, and Murphy beds in both.

A dedicated 2BR sleeps up to 9. There is a Master with a King, and a 2nd bedroom with 2 queens. There is a sofa bed and Murphy bed in the living area. There are 2 full bathrooms, so you get 2 showers, 2 toilets, 2 bathtubs.

A 2BR is more comfortable with the extra bathroom. A 1BR is doable but crowded if everybody gets along and you can navigate the sharing of the bathroom.

The Murphy beds are not bad, but best used for a child. They are not the best for an adult male. If you know the Murphy beds at Poly,, they are similar.

My family and I are going in May for a celebration. There are 8 of us so we picked the 2BR that sleeps 9. Parents in 1, girls in the other bedroom. Boys in the living area. We haven’t done the villa before so that will be new.

Any food tips for the villa? Not that I plan on making gourmet meals (I don’t make those at home!)

I agree with @miTnosnhoJ. Narcoossees is right on the water with a beautiful view of the castle. I’d make a later reservation so you can watch the fireworks after. There’s an outdoor deck you can watch from too, which is nice. I might have a picture I can post. The lobby is gorgeous, also!! I will be there, so I hope I get to see it happen!! Good luck and Congrats!!!

View attachment 373001
Wow! Beautiful picture!

I've stayed in Conch Key and Boca Chica with lagoon views. My favorite has been Boca Chica! If I turned slightly left I could see the castle! That said, Boca Chica was a little further to walk to amenities since you go around the pool. Conch Key is closer to the boat launch and has a back exit closer to Gasparilla.
Boca Chica has always been our favorite - with the lagoon view. To watch the fireworks and electric boat parade has been magical.

My family and I are going in May for a celebration. There are 8 of us so we picked the 2BR that sleeps 9. Parents in 1, girls in the other bedroom. Boys in the living area. We haven’t done the villa before so that will be new.

Any food tips for the villa? Not that I plan on making gourmet meals (I don’t make those at home!)
We usually eat out. But you will have a full kitchen, and there is a Publix grocery store not too far away.
If you want to grill steaks, there are grills over by the exercise room (next to the spa).

I am over the moon that we are staying Sept 25-Oct 3. It has been a dream to stay there. I figured we would be a pop. Hubby said this is the big hurrah! He's a hotel snob so this should live up to the hype. I can't wait.

You won't be disappointed, the GF is amazing, you will love it!! Enjoy the rest of your planning, hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

We mainly did breakfast. It's easy to scramble and egg or toast a bagel. Also those items available to buy there too.

I would keep snacks in the room, bananas, chip n dip, nuts that kind of thing.

Wine is reasonable in the shops so I buy a bottle and have a glass on that huge 3 room length balcony you'll get! Either at 5pm before heading out or a night cap in the room is so nice with real glasses and stemmed in the cabinets.

I bring my coffee and some filters from home. It really is nice to have a real pot in the room! I love staying in my pjs with that first cup!

I only stayed in one once but happy to help if think of anything else.

Oh and bring laundry stuff. I was surprised that I did laundry but I had my laundry done and came home with clean clothes!

We typically have one or two breakfasts out, but the other days, my kids prefer cereal, waffles and bagels, I’ll also grab oatmeal for me and DH. We’ll also grab stuff at the store for a quick lunch, especially for the kids, like Mac and cheese, sandwiches, etc. anything easy and stuff they’ll actually eat lol We typically eat out every night. But having the kitchen space makes taking breaks a little nicer, since we can pick during the day if we’re hungry. Also nice to come back to the room and have a glass of wine or beer, if we want! Enjoy!!!

Hi! We are booked at the Grand twice in 2019 for the exact same reason. We’ve stayed at the Poly numerous times and absolutely love it. However, the availability of discounts this year at the GF for our travel dates, and very little at the Poly, made it significantly less expensive overall. I’m wondering if the Grand has finally bumped against the upper limits of what people are willing to pay, even at WDW. Also, the GFs greater reliance on the aging and sometimes unreliable monorail system, as opposed to the Poly and CR, may be having an effect. In the past I’ve always greatly admired the Grand, but was unwilling to pay more for that reason. At the same or lower price, I’m all in. :thumbsup2:banana: I am planning to enjoy every minute there! Hope your family does also!

This was the same reason we picked GF...I wanted the Poly but the standard rooms dried up quickly. When I saw the discount at the GF, I couldn't pass it up. This will be our first stay at the GF!! We got a Lagoon View...the price difference between that and the next level down was small so I figured "go for it!!".

I'm reading that Boca Chica and Conch Key are the popular choices...if anyone has more suggestions or info on these, please share!!

This was the same reason we picked GF...I wanted the Poly but the standard rooms dried up quickly. When I saw the discount at the GF, I couldn't pass it up. This will be our first stay at the GF!! We got a Lagoon View...the price difference between that and the next level down was small so I figured "go for it!!".

I'm reading that Boca Chica and Conch Key are the popular choices...if anyone has more suggestions or info on these, please share!!

Congrats on booking your first GF stay. It's an amazing resort, you will love it :).

My goodness, i'm liking everything in sight today!

Boca Chica has always been our favorite - with the lagoon view. To watch the fireworks and electric boat parade has been magical.

Boca Chica is our favorite outer building, too. Lagoon View can give glimpses of the Magic Kingdom and with the sounds of lapping water and the soft pipe of boat whistles plying the lagoon, these rooms tend to be relaxing. Boca is also close to the Courtyard Pool, the boat dock and Narcoossee's. So, fun things are all around you. Mind that you don't get stuck with a tree in front of your balcony, though. Unless your are an arborist, it can really dampen the view!

I am over the moon that we are staying Sept 25-Oct 3. It has been a dream to stay there. I figured we would be a pop. Hubby said this is the big hurrah! He's a hotel snob so this should live up to the hype. I can't wait.

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

You won't be disappointed, the GF is amazing, you will love it!! Enjoy the rest of your planning, hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

Congrats on booking your first GF stay. It's an amazing resort, you will love it :).

I'm with mickeynut1! The GF tends to spoil us. It's a lovely spot to to stay. It's lovely to relax in the lobby after a busy day in the parks and take in the music. It's lovely just to stroll through the grounds of an evening. Lovely is the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter