Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by k&a&c'smom, Oct 4, 2014.

1. timrousbeastie

timrousbeastie Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, ...

Right after checking in for our 4-night stay during Thanksgiving '16, I recorded this video of our 1-bedroom "Outer Building" suite (before the kids moved in!). I had a hard time finding videos of this type of room and hope the link will help some of you in the future.

If anyone knows of differences to the 1-bedrooms in the Main buildings, I'd be very interested in your observations.

Also, I have read that some of the 1-bedroom units in the outer buildings have a different layout. Has anyone stayed in one of those and, if so, how does it compare to the one in the video?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    trishadono likes this.
  2. Wood Nymph

Wood Nymph DIS Veteran

That is a really good reason to return to the Grand. ;) I think my husband would say "let's go". ::yes::

We were also thinking about booking our first ever split stay - GF/BC - right after Thanksgiving. Our TiW card expires Nov 30th and an early Thanksgiving means plenty of time to take advantage of that discount. :)

trishadono and GADisneyDad14 like this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort.

to hide this advert.
  4. trishadono

trishadono DIS Veteran

Oh I loved how you got all the angles I wanted! Thanks for taking the time to post!

I have seen this version of the other outerbuilding. It has an extra small balcony and bar area. I think its on the end of a building vs middle.

timrousbeastie likes this.
  5. WishesQueen

WishesQueen DIS Veteran

Hello my Grand friends.

Getting so excited we're in the 30's for our May trip. I have a quick question about a restaurant in AK, has anyone gone to Yak and Yeti for lunch? Not the quick service the restaurant. My DH will not be happy if I don't have plans on our AK day, I know its going to be crazy so QS are not an option...lol. I was lucky enough to get a good lunch time slot and was wondering how it is, I've been finding mixed reviews.

Thanks

BTW amazing Suite!!! 3 bathrooms!!! Oh, how I would love that!!

trishadono likes this.
  6. Maxie86

Maxie86 DIS Veteran

trishadono likes this.
  7. Doug S

Doug S Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas

I currently have a once-in-a-lifetime offer sitting on my plate for the GF over Labor Day weekend. Deluxes have always been out of my price range, especially the GF. I will be sharing the room with friends, thus making it very affordable for all of us. I'm still waiting to hear back from them on their final decision, but I hope they agree to do the GF.

My main question concerns the rooms. I understand from my basic research that there are 3 kinds of rooms: regular, dormer, and lodge tower. For 3-4 adults, what would you recommend? I think space is the biggest factor for us and I'd personally like to have a balcony to sit on in the mornings. We'll have a garden view room, so building/position recommendations are also welcome!

Another question is about pool hours. What are the hours for the courtyard pool? I could care less about the feature pool with the slide. It would just be nice to know I can take a dip in the pool even if we get back late.

merry_nbright likes this.
  8. followthatmouse

followthatmouse DIS Veteran

Ooh, what a great opportunity, Doug S! I hope it works out for you.

The only advice I can offer is not to take a dormer room. While there are those who love these quaint rooms, we found them a little claustrophobic and that was with just two people. It may be the small, enclosed balcony that stops a little light from the room, or it may be the slightly smaller size of the room. Whatever it was, we didn't really enjoy it. So, another room type may be better for you.

Pool hours can vary. The Courtyard Pool is often open from 8 am to 10 pm. There are people still enjoying the pool quite late. The pool bar may not open late, but you can enjoy the warmth of the evening around the pool. We find it a most relaxing place!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    trishadono and grannyminnie like this.
  9. grannyminnie

grannyminnie DIS Veteran

Agree on the dormer room comment! My sister and I felt it was smaller.

trishadono likes this.
  10. suepmcc

suepmcc Earning My Ears

How long will the Easter Eggs be on display at the Grand Floridian? We are going to WDW next week and I am hoping they will still be on display.

11. firsttimemom

firsttimemom DIS Veteran

It's been a couple years but DH and I had a great lunch there. It was upstairs so it was away from the hustle and bustle of the park and we were really able to relax for a bit.

WishesQueen and trishadono like this.
  12. merry_nbright

merry_nbright Mouseketeer

Does the Grand decorate at all for Fall?

13. Liberator

Liberator Mouseketeer

I just wanted to share a picture of this beautiful resort, it was taken during our vacation in last February

[​IMG]

Lisann, Allie B, MommyGina and 8 others like this.
  14. dina7

dina7 I'd Rather Be In Disney World

I just saw it posted on another site that the Easter Eggs will be on display through April 29th ;)

suepmcc likes this.
  15. trishadono

trishadono DIS Veteran

Not really. They do change up the flowers in the lobby and plants outside. MK really is the only place they screams FALL with the cute Main Street set up.

16. conandrob240

conandrob240 DIS Veteran

Any recent Royal Palm Club reviews? With pics? Also is there a map someone can link to that shows location of Royal Palm Club?

17. WishesQueen

WishesQueen DIS Veteran

Good Morning Everyone!

Firsttimemom - Thanks for the Y&Y info, thats exactly what I am looking for.

Of course I have another question. Last year we ran to our first FP we thought we were going to miss, when we got there the cast member said that you have extra time passed the FP time. I think she said 10 minutes but for the life of me I can't remember. Does anyone know this information?

18. WishesQueen

WishesQueen DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh page 3 save!!!

I think I found some info on my question I asked. I read that its a 15 minute grace period after the FP time, but I thought I remembered 10. 15 seems like a long time. Maybe I'll call, but free dining came out today and I'll probably never get through.

Hope everyone is busy having fun!

19. KStash

KStash Earning My Ears

I am excited to say I switched my resort for a final time and am staying at the Grand Floridian in September. I got such a good deal (about 300 less than what I would have payed for the Poly) that I couldn't help it.

20. poohgirl6

poohgirl6 I dream of Stormalong Bay

I've been off the Disboards for a few years (our last trip was in Sept 2014). So excited to be taking my entire family to stay at the Grand Aug 12-19. There will be 8 adults (or grown kids) and 4 little ones. The GF is the only deluxe we've never stayed at, so we're doubly excited. Just wanted to pop in and say hi! :)

21. MommyGina

MommyGina DIS Veteran

poohgirl16 - So excited for you on your upcoming trip to the GF!!!

Welcome back!

trishadono likes this.