Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by k&a&c'smom, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Cluelyss

Cluelyss DIS Veteran

Thanks. We will be there late March, so hopefully back by then!!

2. Minnie Mouse2789

Minnie Mouse2789 Earning My Ears

Can I carry the luggage- homesick for the resort and the sun!

WishesQueen likes this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort.

-->

to hide this advert.
  4. WishesQueen

WishesQueen DIS Veteran

Hello my Grand Friends :wave:!!! Just checking in, it seems awfully quiet here:rolleyes1!!

5. Grace&Carolinesmom

Grace&Carolinesmom DIS Veteran

It has been VERY quiet......

I have been busy making my general itinerary for our trip Aug 16-26. I had to make a few changes after the announcement of Pandora and ROL. We usually only do one day in AK but now I have added a night visit as well which has caused some issues/questions....

We have booked our trip thru a TA with a deeply discounted room and tickets. The ticket is an 8 day PH with a bonus admission to a waterpark or mini-golf. They do not offer a discounted 9 day PH. So....now we need a 9 day PH. I read over on the theme parks ticket thread with ROBO that one can add days on to a ticket at guest services at the parks or at most resorts and they will usually bridge the price difference between the gate price of the ticket you have and the gate price of the ticket you want. My ticket is not available for purchase at the gate because of the one admission to a water park bonus feature. ROBO could not answer with certainty if the ticket could be bridged without losing the discount given the deep discount/ticket type. Has any one here ever added days on to one of these special TA tickets? Would love to hear any experiences :lovestruc

I am working on my final picks for dining and such. So excited!! Thinking of trying GF Cafe for the first time since it is so convenient.

BlueSkies, MommyGina and trishadono like this.
  6. fsupharm77

fsupharm77 Mouseketeer

My wife was able to add a day to her TA rate ticket in 2012. Sorry I don't have more recent info. If I remember correctly we were at Epcot and ended up going to the guest relations all the way to right because they couldn't figure it out at the ticket booth.

7. Minnie Mouse2789

Minnie Mouse2789 Earning My Ears

GF Cafe was not my favorite...

8. trishadono

trishadono DIS Veteran

Gf cafe I have had mixed results. I had a few bad experiences ( rally long wait for food) but in the last 3 years no issues and enjoyed it.

However I prefer Kona cafe at poly which is also easy to get to. Some people go there for tonga toast on the morning if you like banana stuffed French toast, try it!

9. Wood Nymph

Wood Nymph DIS Veteran

All I know about those discounted TA tickets is that if they are convention tickets then you won't be able to upgrade them. They will say whether or not they are convention tickets in your MDE account.

We had breakfast at the GF Cafe in December. The service was slow. My french toast was absolutely amazing but my husband's pancakes were hard as a rock. The waiter never came back to check to see if our food was okay and my husband had to track down someone to find our waiter. He quickly got fresh pancakes after that but it really ruined the meal for him.

10. Grace&Carolinesmom

We are considering eating here on arrival day around 5:45ish for dinner before heading to MK. Maybe we should nix this and go to The Wave which we LOVE:love::love:

DizDaD7 likes this.
  11. Grace&Carolinesmom

I am planning a ressie for dinner at Kona one night. The menu looks interesting and I have read good things about their allergy menu here. Back when I could eat gluten, I LOVED the tonga toast and it was a must-do at either Kona or CC. Now, I just have to put it out of my mind and avoid Kona and CC at breakfast time because it is heartbreaking for me :sad:

I might try the Wave breakfast one day because I have heard great things about their gluten free sweet potato pancakes :teeth:

BlueSkies and trishadono like this.
  12. Grace&Carolinesmom

Was your bad experience for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Was it the food or the service?

13. WishesQueen

WishesQueen DIS Veteran

Morning all!! Nice to see everyone, way too quiet around here!!:wave:

Forgot to quote, but I read lots about the GF Cafe & Kona. We usually visit both every trip with it being so quick and easy to get to but never for breakfast. My kids are older and sleep in, my DH and I usually save all our vacation eating for lunch, dinner and snacks :rotfl2:. With that being said, we have always had a great meal at both restaurants. GF Cafe is a little on the boring side, but for the first night after a day of traveling and trying to get a park in and unpacking its a welcome location and a warm meal when your just to tired to move. The kids love the steak and lobster burger. My DH and love the wine and beer choices and the staff is ALWAYS so friendly too. As for Kona, The kids love the sushi, the wings, noodles etc etc. Hope this helps.

As for visiting AK, we never really go over there, but Pandora opening is definitely making me look over our plans.:confused3

14. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Ugh. I can't stay in a musty place. I would have had to go right back to the front desk.

Good to know there's another kid out there that doesn't like icky bathrooms. The one time we stayed at my dad's my kid (3 at the time) had to be carried into the bathroom and nearly held over or on the toilet to do his business because he didn't want to touch anything in there. Neither did I, actually!

Should this happen in the future go to the front desk. Hitting "front desk" on the phone gets you to an offsite call center and they have limited options.

15. Wood Nymph

Wood Nymph DIS Veteran

We hopped on the monorail and had a delicious dinner at the Wave during our December trip. :)

16. BabyFu18

BabyFu18 DIS Veteran

Hey I just wanted to add my thoughts pn GF Cafe, we ate there last year for the first time, one night it was storming so bad we didn't want to leave the hotel, but we had a really nice experience I am gluten free (as well as other allergies) and my meal was great and the chef was great and made me whatever I wanted but the rest of my party without allergies also enjoyed their meals and it is a super convenient location when your staying at the resort. I also love Kona though, we ate their last year as well and they too were great with my allergies, it was delicious and very easy to get to with just a hop on the monorail!

BlueSkies, trishadono and WishesQueen like this.
  17. Grace&Carolinesmom

Thank you so much for the info! I was just diagnosed with NCGS this summer so this will be my first trip to WDW since going gluten free. My DD15 has lots of allergies (peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, bananas) so I am familiar with how great dining at Disney is with allergies but we have never tried GF Cafe. It has made planning for this trip....more challenging. With me gluten free(and I have an egg yolk intolerance), DD15's allergies, and my DD18 is a picky eater in general.......let's just say I am obsessed with looking over menus!:rotfl:

18. Sarah28

Sarah28 DIS Veteran

Afternoon fellow GF lovers! We're heading back to WDW from the UK next Saturday to celebrate our first wedding anniversary - can't believe on this day last year we were checking into the GF for our Disney Wedding / honeymoon and we were pixie dusted upon check in to a TPV room! It really was a dream come true :lovestruc

Well for this trip we decided to change it up and stay at the Poly as we've always wanted to stay there too, but we will definitely be spending a lot of time at the GF still seeing as we will still be so close - we have ADRs at GFC for breakfast (just like our first 'married' breakfast last year) and we're also doing the Afternoon Tea at the Garden View Lounge which will be a first for my husband, so I hope he likes it as much as I did last year! I'm also hoping to stock up on some bits from Basin White too - just love everything about the GF! Just wanted to share my excitement even though we're not staying there this time, I will still enjoy being back at the GF! :yay:

Maxie86, BlueSkies, MommyGina and 3 others like this.
  19. BabyFu18

BabyFu18 DIS Veteran

I totally understand, I don't have celiac either but a few years ago I was diagnosed with an anaphylactic reaction to gluten/wheat, it really came out of left field for me because I thought my reactions were from other anaphylactic allergies (food dyes) and it took awhile to pinpoint gluten as the issue but once we did I haven't had any gluten or wheat since. It can be a big adjustment to have to make quickly I know. I'm like you though I constantly look at menus when I'm traveling planning, the rest of my group doesn't have allergies, but I look at menus to make sure everyone has at least a couple of options I know they would eat! Most places we've tried, we love and everyone can get something they've enjoyed. If you are new to GF and you miss battered and fried food you have to try Raglan Road they will make pretty much any of their hand battered dishes in a GF batter and dedicated fryer for you. This year will be my fifth time to Disney since my allergy diagnosis and I've been fine, I'm sure you guys will find plenty of variety for food and snacks!

It looks like we will be at the Grand Floridian just a couple days after you in August 2017!

BlueSkies likes this.
  20. BabyFu18

BabyFu18 DIS Veteran

Have fun on your upcoming trip, the Polynesian is great too I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I just wanted to say I love your dress in your profile picture so pretty!

21. WishesQueen

WishesQueen DIS Veteran

Happy Anniversary!!! So excited for you guys!! My DH and I had our honeymoon there too 25 years ago. We go every year but this year will be only the second time for my anniversary. I informed my DH I am thinking this is something we should do every year:woohoo:. The Poly is great too, nice and close.

I agree with BabyFu18, your dress is gorgeous. Have fun planning and packing it will be here before you know it:cheer2:!!

BlueSkies likes this.