Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Thinking of a cabin for the first time, but I have some questions:)

We will be party of 6, if we only get a 4 seater golf cart, will we fit?

They seat 4. There are 6 seater Golf Carts, but they are first come first serve and can not be reserved,

Are there places to park the carts by pools/food court?

Yes. There is not a "food court" at FW

Are the cabins and tents all mixed, or are they separate?

No Not mixed. There are dedicated tent loops, lots of different size camping loops for trailers/RV's and Cabin Loops

Are there gators around the cabin/walking areas?

There are likely alligators in the waterways, not on walking areas in general

We would be on the DDP, would we be able to eat lunch and use snacks as a quick serve meal credit/snack credit somewhere? Is the trails end a table service?

FW is not the easiest place to use snack credits/QS credits IMO. There are 2 Trading Posts where you can fill mugs and get snacks and there is one take out - P & J's Takeaway. Trails End in a sit down buffet for breakfast and dinner and a la carte lunch restaurant

See above

Disney has a few six seater golf carts which you can request when you rent them, but they're first come, first serve - you can't reserve them ahead of time. We've never gotten one. We had five adults and one kid - the kid could seat on one of the laps, but we really couldn't fit more than four of the adults at one time. We ended up taking two trips whenever we all went anywhere together.

A place to park for golf carts by the pool/beach/boat launch/restaurant is one of the best reasons for renting one, in my opinion - there aren't parking places in those areas for cars (just a few temporary car spots by the trading post).

The cabins are in separate "loops" from the tents and RVs, but whenever we've been in the cabins, we've seen tents pitched by a cabin or two - probably kids camping out for the night. I'm not sure if this is technically allowed by Disney, but we've always seen it. Some cabin loops seem to be swampier than others, so not every cabin has dry ground on which to pitch a tent.

We've never been on the DDP, so hopefully someone else will answer your question.

If you end up going, hope you have fun!

Sorry, didn't see Hopefully's reply until after I had posted.

About snack credits - where does the "Chuckwagon" over by the campfire/movie fit into this? They have hot dogs, wraps, s'mores, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't see Petunia's reply until after I had posted.

About snack credits - where does the "Chuckwagon" over by the campfire/movie fit into this? They have hot dogs, wraps, s'mores, etc.
The chuck wagon has items that are snack credits. They have the usual packaged ice cream bars and popcorn that I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't think you could fit 6 people in a golf cart, unless two were lap babies.

There are places to park the carts

I've stayed in the RV loops and in the cabins and I am pretty sure they are segregated. I believe the RVs go in the full hookup sites, and the tents are in the areas with only partial hookup. The Cabins are their own loops.

I have never seen a gator in the campgrounds, but as a northerner I will not pretend to know how far they are willing to roam from the water.

If you are in a cabin it is easiest to eat breakfast there and then use your meal credits in the parks. Trails End Buffet is delicious, but far from the cabins. I would use two credits instead and do Hoop Dee Doo one night as a special meal.

Will they still rent you a 4 person cart if you are 6? And if we fit the kids in between/on our laps, is that allowed?

Will they still rent you a 4 person cart if you are 6? And if we fit the kids in between/on our laps, is that allowed?
Oh, sure - like I said, we've rented it several times and there was never a problem with having 5 adults in our party - we just made two trips when we needed to go places like the boat launch. If I remember right, there is a safety checklist you need to read and sign - turns out you are not supposed to let the lap child sit in the driver's lap, but other than that, lap children are fine. When my daughter was a toddler, she always had to ride between two adults in the back seat, but that was just our rule to make sure she never went flying out.

So, there is no concern of leaving your cart parked at your cabin or in a cart parking lot regarding theft or damage? Are you liable for the cart if something happens to it while its parked?

So, there is no concern of leaving your cart parked at your cabin or in a cart parking lot regarding theft or damage? Are you liable for the cart if something happens to it while its parked?
I don't worry one bit about a cart rented from Disney. Just take the key with you. I figure if it gets stolen or damaged somehow while unattended, just report it to Disney and they would deal with it.

Plus, when you've parked your cart at your cabin or in the cart parking lot, you're charging it up. One year we got a lemon cart that wouldn't hold a charge, even after we left it plugged in overnight, so Disney came and switched it out for us, no problem.

Can you walk to the Chip & Dale campfire from the MK boat dock or do you need to take the internal bus? If walkable how far of a walk?

Can you walk to the Chip & Dale campfire from the MK boat dock or do you need to take the internal bus? If walkable how far of a walk?
It's about 1/2 mile. Yes you can walk. The fort is very pedestrian friendly with a walking path along the road.

Hi everyone, I am so excited I just booked my first trip to Fort wilderness cabins! I don't even know where to begin with research but first question I have is that we have two cars and I'm wondering if both can park at the cabin or if not where? Also are there certain loops people prefer? Looking forward to reading this entire thread and absorbing as much as I can :-)

Robin

Hi everyone, I am so excited I just booked my first trip to Fort wilderness cabins! I don't even know where to begin with research but first question I have is that we have two cars and I'm wondering if both can park at the cabin or if not where? Also are there certain loops people prefer? Looking forward to reading this entire thread and absorbing as much as I can :-)

Robin

The Cabins are great, I think you will love it there.
You can only park one car at your Cabin. There is an overflow lot at the front of FW near where you check in the second car will have to be there.

Check out the Camping Forum here on the DIS as well. Lots of friendly folks who can answer all your questions about Fort Wilderness.
https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/

Does anyone still rent golf carts for FW from off site since they can't be dropped off in FW anymore? We are going this Aug with our 6 & 8 year old girls and are getting a golf cart, but man - Disney prices are more than renting a car.

Does anyone still rent golf carts for FW from off site since they can't be dropped off in FW anymore? We are going this Aug with our 6 & 8 year old girls and are getting a golf cart, but man - Disney prices are more than renting a car.
Yes, we are renting from an offsite vendor in September. You just have to bring the cart in yourself using their truck and/or trailer. Go search about golf carts in the camping forum, you'll find a ton of info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter