Disney's BOARDWALK INN Information & Questions

Just got home last evening and we had an absolutely AMAZING trip, highlighted by staying at BWI! The staff was excellent, friendly, we had an opportunity to talk to lots of them and really enjoyed that. Many gave us great tips and some were just nice to have a conversation with. I did check in online ahead of time and the request was "high floor." I didn't send in any faxes or anything, thinking we'd be happy with what we got. We were booked for a standard room. We did have to stop in Jacksonville on the drive down to exchange something I got as a Christmas present, but we don't have that store in the Charleston area. For this reason, and I didn't want to rush to get up and didn't know what traffic would be like on a Sunday, I didn't put in our arrival time. When we pulled up it was actually tough to find parking anywhere but we did find a spot on the front row near the exit by the convention center. We originally planned to check in then grab our bags to go find our room, but decided to haul everything at once and went to the front desk. There was no one waiting in line and it was about 4pm. The CM noticed on the reservation we were celebrating our anniversary and told us congratulations. She asked if we'd ever stayed there before and I said no, this was our first no kid trip and we were making it our honeymoon since we never took one to begin with. I don't know if she just saw how giddy we looked to just be staying there or if some pixie dust was involved but she pulled out a map to show where our room was, where all the dining options were, how to get to Epcot and DHS, the buses to other locations, and sent us on our way. I was happy with 5th floor being assigned, and then when we got to our actual room (which was nice to be close to the elevator without noise, but not a long walk) we were flipping out! It was #5278 overlooking the garden and looking straight out to Epcot! Aaaaah! SO pretty! For those of you asking about construction, you can see the lines for the gondolas, and to me it looked like they are building something on the back side of France- I assumed it to be the Ratatouille attraction, but could be wrong. It was not in the way at all. We watched Illuminations multiple times out on our balcony and it was beautiful- you can hear the music! The buses were prompt an two mornings we had really funny ones. Boat service was very enjoyable and relaxing. The walk to and from Epcot is so short you really don't need to take the boat. We were surprised at how close it actually is! The DHS walk isn't bad either. This was the perfect resort for DH and I for this trip. The one drawback that I could think of is the CS option Boardwalk Bakery is small with small selection. At some other deluxes, moderates, and the values there are bigger restaurants with more options. I knew this ahead of time so I only planned two quick breakfasts here and we did get desserts a couple nights and filled our mugs heading back from the parks. I remember someone asking about the smell from the Flying Fish. We only smelled it on our last night while in the actual resort building, and we thought it may have been because it was a Friday and busier, plus it was really warm. It wasn't gross or anything, you could just notice it. Overall we had an excellent stay. Depending on the type of vacation you're planning, the BWI may be perfect! Once I get photos uploaded I'll post. Thanks for all the info ahead of time from you seasoned travelers!

Can anyone tell me how the bus service has been lately? With three young adult kids, getting them up for rope-drop will be tough enough without transportation issues. Thinking of Minnie Van to MK or UberXL to AK, then bus back for a mid afternoon break before hopping to DHS or EPCOT.

We're staying a couple of days at DS and will have a rental car there, but plan on turning it in after we check-in at the BWI.

We are sitting at the resort as I type
MK has direct on this trip and all others
AK is not normally
I would bus to MK unless you are in a time crunch. Play AK by ear based on your timing

Just got home last evening and we had an absolutely AMAZING trip, highlighted by staying at BWI! The staff was excellent, friendly, we had an opportunity to talk to lots of them and really enjoyed that. Many gave us great tips and some were just nice to have a conversation with. I did check in online ahead of time and the request was "high floor." I didn't send in any faxes or anything, thinking we'd be happy with what we got. We were booked for a standard room. We did have to stop in Jacksonville on the drive down to exchange something I got as a Christmas present, but we don't have that store in the Charleston area. For this reason, and I didn't want to rush to get up and didn't know what traffic would be like on a Sunday, I didn't put in our arrival time. When we pulled up it was actually tough to find parking anywhere but we did find a spot on the front row near the exit by the convention center. We originally planned to check in then grab our bags to go find our room, but decided to haul everything at once and went to the front desk. There was no one waiting in line and it was about 4pm. The CM noticed on the reservation we were celebrating our anniversary and told us congratulations. She asked if we'd ever stayed there before and I said no, this was our first no kid trip and we were making it our honeymoon since we never took one to begin with. I don't know if she just saw how giddy we looked to just be staying there or if some pixie dust was involved but she pulled out a map to show where our room was, where all the dining options were, how to get to Epcot and DHS, the buses to other locations, and sent us on our way. I was happy with 5th floor being assigned, and then when we got to our actual room (which was nice to be close to the elevator without noise, but not a long walk) we were flipping out! It was #5278 overlooking the garden and looking straight out to Epcot! Aaaaah! SO pretty! For those of you asking about construction, you can see the lines for the gondolas, and to me it looked like they are building something on the back side of France- I assumed it to be the Ratatouille attraction, but could be wrong. It was not in the way at all. We watched Illuminations multiple times out on our balcony and it was beautiful- you can hear the music! The buses were prompt an two mornings we had really funny ones. Boat service was very enjoyable and relaxing. The walk to and from Epcot is so short you really don't need to take the boat. We were surprised at how close it actually is! The DHS walk isn't bad either. This was the perfect resort for DH and I for this trip. The one drawback that I could think of is the CS option Boardwalk Bakery is small with small selection. At some other deluxes, moderates, and the values there are bigger restaurants with more options. I knew this ahead of time so I only planned two quick breakfasts here and we did get desserts a couple nights and filled our mugs heading back from the parks. I remember someone asking about the smell from the Flying Fish. We only smelled it on our last night while in the actual resort building, and we thought it may have been because it was a Friday and busier, plus it was really warm. It wasn't gross or anything, you could just notice it. Overall we had an excellent stay. Depending on the type of vacation you're planning, the BWI may be perfect! Once I get photos uploaded I'll post. Thanks for all the info ahead of time from you seasoned travelers!

Thanks for your review. I agree, BWI is amazing! I just had my first stay there this past summer and I absolutely loved it. Glad you had a great trip :).

Can anyone tell me how the bus service has been lately? With three young adult kids, getting them up for rope-drop will be tough enough without transportation issues. Thinking of Minnie Van to MK or UberXL to AK, then bus back for a mid afternoon break before hopping to DHS or EPCOT.

We're staying a couple of days at DS and will have a rental car there, but plan on turning it in after we check-in at the BWI.
Use the Minnie Van service. We stayed at YC in August with a 3 and 6 year old and took the Minnie van to and from MNSSHP at MK. It was amazing. It was spotless, the car seats were spotless and they picked you up at the front of your hotel and dropped you off right where the buses drop off. Worth every penny with young kids in my book. My husband refuses to set foot on a bus ever again. Haha

We are sitting at the resort as I type
MK has direct on this trip and all others
AK is not normally
I would bus to MK unless you are in a time crunch. Play AK by ear based on your timing
Enjoy your trip and when it's over, report back!

I have stayed at BWV in a standard studio before, but this year I have reservations for a standard studio with a roll-in shower. I have tried searching here and the DISabilities forums and even Google, but I can't seem to find any photos.

Does anyone have any photos of the roll-in shower and how the floorplan may look different from a standard studio?

When I made reservations, besides noting the roll-in shower, etc., they also noted the fold-down bunk bed.

I think that I saw a several BWV regular studios with this fold down bunk bed below the TV. I also noticed the fold-up table below the TV. I think that I might like this if my wheelchair has room to get around the queen bed and sofa.

We are staying at BWI for the very first time this summer. My wife, me, and 2 sons (18yo and 12yo). The 18yo chose Disney and BWI for his senior vacation. I'm sure there is a ton of info in this extremely long thread and I'll sort through all of it eventually, but what are some quick tips for BWI newbies? Pros/cons? Etc.

We are staying at BWI for the very first time this summer. My wife, me, and 2 sons (18yo and 12yo). The 18yo chose Disney and BWI for his senior vacation. I'm sure there is a ton of info in this extremely long thread and I'll sort through all of it eventually, but what are some quick tips for BWI newbies? Pros/cons? Etc.
The elevator system can be confusing at first. The Lobby is on the 2nd floor. The Boardwalk itself is on the 1st floor. The Elevator that goes to the rooms from the 2nd floor won't take you to the 1st floor that goes out to the Boardwalk. The 1st floor on that elevator only goes out to the Garden area, and quiet pool. There are stairs or a 2nd elevator that goes to the first floor. That elevator goes to no other floor, only between 2 and 1. Really only a major issue for those with strollers or ECV/wheelchairs.
Make sure to take some time to watch the nightly entertainment on the Boardwalk. They are really enjoyable entertainers.
Buses are usually dedicated to MK and usually share to DS and AK. Usually. There are exceptions and at slower times of the day, even the MK bus shares. I've never taken a bus to DS that didn't share.
It's faster to walk to both HS and Epcot. Though many will opt to take the boat to HS you'll likely never want to boat to Epcot. It's incredibly close.
May want to budget for a Surry bike rental. They are REALLY popular, $25/half hour, if memory serves me right.
If you have sports fans they'll want to step into ESPN Club. Lots of fun things on the wall there, jersey's, old seats from torn down venues, etc.

The big gift shop on the Boardwalk sometimes has a better cupcake selection that the Boardwalk Bakery.

Just snapped this photo out on the Boardwalk on Monday. Looks like a fun event (they've been doing a lot of arts/crafts around)
I believe DH and I will sign up
3C97F165-AF62-4E76-948D-E6274806A015.jpg

You have a lot of good dining choices available to you. On the Boardwalk side, there's the ESPN Club, Trattoria al Forno and Big River Brewery. A walk around Crescent Lake brings you to the Yacht and Beach Club, where you have Ale & Compass, the Yachtsman Steak House, Beaches and Cream and Cape May Cafe. Plus the Swan and Dolphin also have some good dining choices. So you don't have to go far for a good meal.

Just snapped this photo out on the Boardwalk on Monday. Looks like a fun event (they've been doing a lot of arts/crafts around)
I believe DH and I will sign up
3C97F165-AF62-4E76-948D-E6274806A015.jpg
Angi, are you there on the 14th? Jim and I will be at the BW the 13-20 for our anniversary! Hope we see you.

Angi, are you there on the 14th? Jim and I will be at the BW the 13-20 for our anniversary! Hope we see you.
Yes! DH and I are doing all 3 DAH events.
But, sadly, right now not at BWI (we are at FQ)
We have to cut costs every few trips and to get this one in, on top of both NYE, this last trip with my friend and our anniversary in April, we are going with a Mod. For now at least.
I am not 100% sure we won't move by the time it's all said and done, LOL

Yes! DH and I are doing all 3 DAH events.
But, sadly, right now not at BWI (we are at FQ)
We have to cut costs every few trips and to get this one in, on top of both NYE, this last trip with my friend and our anniversary in April, we are going with a Mod. For now at least.
I am not 100% sure we won't move by the time it's all said and done, LOL
When in April are you there? We are going the 2-9. My good friend is getting married on the 4th and I am her matron of honor!

it looked like they are building something on the back side of France- I assumed it to be the Ratatouille attraction, but could be wrong. It was not in the way at all.

we joked with a CM about the new building when we were entering Epcot last month. We said "that new attraction looks fun", he said "it's our new welding attraction, ride at your own risk" :thumbsup2

I just booked my parents a standard view 1-bedroom Villa for this coming week, last minute reservation, directly with Disney. We're longtime BWI folks and have never stayed in a Villa. I know I want to request a room close to elevators and relatively high up. With standard view Cash reservations with Disney, what wing is my parents likely to get? Will it be overlooking parking lot or is there the possibility of a room overlooking something nicer like gardens or quiet pool? They are in their 70s so I don't want them to walk too far if possible.

I'd suggest using the Touring Plans map to find something close to the middle. We stayed all the way at one end and while quiet and a nice view of the channel/Swan & Dolphin, it was too far to go every day to get back. Our next trip we'll request one closer to the elevator. You can have Touring Plans send a fax to request a room close to where you want and may be able to get that location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter