Disneylander who wants to visit wdw

Lorena Lara

Earning My Ears
hi, i am a lifelong disneylander living in long beach, CA. i've pretty much visited it every year, although i have a desire to visit wdw. could someone tell me what it's like visiting wdw as a californian or just anyone who has been to both parks could tell me what its like going to both? i want to know what to expect and what the experience and atmosphere is like? thanks!

Lorena

I am a long time DL goer and have started visiting WDW in the past few years.

1. It's huge. HUGE.
2. I was sweating like crazy in October.
3. I find it oddly cheaper than DL. For me, from Vancouver, Anaheim is obviously closer but flights are actually often cheaper and the WDW hotels seem to have more selection and better deals.
4. You need to do a little planning. Online Fastpasses for some rides are necessary - depending on the day, waits can be very very high for some rides. And if you want to eat at be our guest (beauty and the beast restaurant), you really need to plan ahead.
5. I have a great time. It's not as cozy as DL, and I struggle with the weather at times, but I'm very much a west coast native lol. I love Epcot and Animal Kingdom, both which are unique to WDW and I think very much worth a visit.

Hope that helps! :)

hi, i am a lifelong disneylander living in long beach, CA. i've pretty much visited it every year, although i have a desire to visit wdw. could someone tell me what it's like visiting wdw as a californian or just anyone who has been to both parks could tell me what its like going to both? i want to know what to expect and what the experience and atmosphere is like? thanks!

Lorena
Yea my first immediate thought is... ITS HUGE too! hahaha also the quick service is a bit better over at Disneyland. I would say its like trying to compare two different creatures. My sister and I (both from and live in Mass) are split. I personally love WDW (I like Disneyland too but if given the choice Im going with world) and she is in love with Disneyland. She likes that its a bit more manageable and not as overwhelming. But i would say try out WDW and see how it goes! you'll have fun!

We are DL season aps and go to WDW one a year. WDW is pretty amazing, but it is a very different experience. The key is to stay long enough to do most things, including water parks and Disney springs, but schedule so you do not kill yourself. I would suggest at least a week, ticket prices are like $10 a day after 4 days. Also be sure to stay on a Disney property. If you go for a two or three day trip like people do at DL, you will hate it.

I've vacationed at both and love them both. The major difference is that being at WDW is like being in it's own city. All roads lead to Disney once your onsite.

Planning is another must in order to optimize your time there. And there is so much it's impossible to do it all in 1 week.

When DD was n college in California, I had annual passes to DL. We also did WdW during those years. The hardest thing was keeping the parks separate in my mind. I kept looking for things in the wrong places. Tomorrowland I could never keep straight.
WDW is 4 parks that need 1-2 days each. There also much bigger crowds all the time. The dining opportunities at WDW far surpass DL.

Other differences
Pirates is longer and better at DL
Haunted Mansion does not change for Halloween.
Dinosaur may run same track as Indiana Jones, but I prefer Indy.
Monorail is greater at WDW.
Main Street is bigger in Florida
No New Orleans square in magic kingdom.
And the list goes on and on

I am a long time DL goer and have started visiting WDW in the past few years.

1. It's huge. HUGE.
2. I was sweating like crazy in October.
3. I find it oddly cheaper than DL. For me, from Vancouver, Anaheim is obviously closer but flights are actually often cheaper and the WDW hotels seem to have more selection and better deals.
4. You need to do a little planning. Online Fastpasses for some rides are necessary - depending on the day, waits can be very very high for some rides. And if you want to eat at be our guest (beauty and the beast restaurant), you really need to plan ahead.
5. I have a great time. It's not as cozy as DL, and I struggle with the weather at times, but I'm very much a west coast native lol. I love Epcot and Animal Kingdom, both which are unique to WDW and I think very much worth a visit.

Hope that helps! :)

1. Agree. Each park is (or at least certainly seems to be) larger than both Anaheim parks put together. And the only two parks that are anywhere near each other are Hollywood Studios and Epcot. If you stay on property, transportation everywhere is free, but it takes a while to get from A to B to C.
2. Yup. :)
3. I think this is going to depend on what you're opting for in terms of lodging. Disney property is going to cost you anywhere from a little to quite a bit more, but there is a convenience factor built into that.
4. This one I disagree with quite a bit, but not how you might think... You need to do a LOT of planning. :) DL/CA can be a very unplanned, off-the-cuff sort of trip and you'll be able to fit everything in without a problem. With WDW, you have to plan, plan, plan, and plan some more. Then when you think you're done, re-review everything only to realize you didn't plan everything.
5. While the parks are definitely different, and layouts are different, there are similarities. I love Test Track (Epcot), but Radiator Springs Racers is WAY better (same technologies but very different stories to them). The Haunted Mansion in DL is superior when it's decorated for Christmas.

Disney World is a very different animal than Disneyland. In fact, the first time I visited DL I didn't even realize I was enjoying myself until a few days in because I was so used to having to over-plan everything! lol

I think you have to understand your party as a whole, what their interests are, and then probably talk directly with others in a similar situation that have done WDW (or possibly both) for tips and pointers.

Also - one of the things I was most disappointed about was going to DL two January's in a row and enjoying beignets every morning in DL but then returning to WDW and ONLY being able to get them at ONE of the resorts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter