Disneyland with 3 and 1-year-old during Covid. Yay or Nay ?

karthikjay

Earning My Ears
People who have been to Disneyland recently, do you recommend visiting the park with unvaccinated kids (3 and 1 yo) given that the Delta variant is spreading fast? I would love to let my kids experience the Disney magic but I am concerned about Covid.

Another option for me is to take them to San Diego (zoo, sea world, etc) might be lower risk because it's mostly outdoorsy and fewer people? What do you people think?

If you're concerned about covid, you may want to wait a while longer. We were in the parks this last week and it was very busy with no social distancing at all and very few masks. We're all fully vaccinated and wore masks indoors, but my teenage son started feeling unwell last night, hoping it's just a cold.

If you're concerned about covid, you may want to wait a while longer. We were in the parks this last week and it was very busy with no social distancing at all and very few masks. We're all fully vaccinated and wore masks indoors, but my teenage son started feeling unwell last night, hoping it's just a cold.
This was my experience a couple of weeks ago, and agree with briggscreek.

Honestly, it just depends on how you feel comfortable. We went in May so mask were still mandated along with social distancing.
I want to go back, but undecided yet.

We have gone to Seaworld and San Diego and even Legoland. We feel fine, but we are one of those people who are vaccinated but continue wearing our masks. It makes us feel safer and keeps the little one who should wear it (he’s 5 and therefore unvaccinated) keep it on and safe.

you’re little one can’t really wear one and the three year old who knows if they’ll keep it on.

It is an incredibly personal decision. I have no issue bringing my healthy 5 year old everywhere knowing that in total since the start of the pandemic less than 350 kids under 18 have died due to Covid. (CDC numbers)

Everything in life has risks, including every time you get in your car. You have to make the decision you think is best based off of their overall health and your risk tolerance.

Edit: Also we went to the San Diego zoo back in March and it was also pretty busy, but back then all amusement parks were closed so that kind of funneled people there.

We just got back from Disney World. All my family is vaccinated except for my 3 year old. The day we left he came down with a fever. It was scary but turned out to be Hand foot and mouth. I canceled an August trip to see family on the other side of the country. There's tons of viruses raging back right now that have been suppressed with covid restrictions. He's probably going to come down with other things with restrictions eased but I don't want to be far from home when it happens.

I think a big part would come down to whether or not your 3-year-old is willing and able to wear a mask all day. I would only go if my kids wear masks. My children are older (7 and 11) and we'll be going to WDW in December. They already know that unless vaccines come out for kids, they will have to wear their masks because I will cancel the trip if they won't do that. But they're also used to wearing masks all day from going to school in person for the last few months. They get that it's just part of the deal.

Honestly, especially with little kids, I'd wait. There are a lot of germs going around right now. Not just covid. My family has gone to almost every amusement park in CA this summer (we're locals) and they have had 2 colds this summer already even with wearing masks everywhere except the water parks (neither cold was was covid, but you never know with delta since it looks a lot like a regular cold). Immune systems are weak right now because we all stayed home so long, so it's not just covid you have to worry about.

It's probably a cold. There are several respiratory viruses going around in Southern CA right now, besides covid. My fully vaccinated son got a cold 3 days after our long weekend over 4th of July. We are all vaccinated and no one else got sick, but I took him for a covid test and it was negative. He had sneezing, ear pain, and nasal congestion.

I would NOT take a 1 year old to the parks right now. I *might* take a 3 year old if he/was mask compliant.

We will be taking our then 2-month old and 14 year-old to DCA for Oogie Boogie in October. I will be wearing him facing me most of the time, or he will be covered in his stroller. My husband, daughter, and I are all vaccinated but will be wearing masks. My husband and daughter will participate in the “mix-in” period at 3pm, and I will join them at 6 when capacity is drastically reduced for the event. We will be avoiding crowded areas and will not be taking him on any rides. If it feels too crowded, my husband will take him back to the hotel and I will do the first two hours of the event with our daughter and he will do the final two.

I can’t answer whether or not your family should go to the parks, but personally there is no way we will be taking the baby to the parks on a regular day until he is vaccinated and/or wearing a mask.

Last edited:
I have visited the parks three times since they reopened. Once when it was masks and distancing and twice when all that was gone.

Things are back to NORMAL as in pre-covid times. I don’t think people who are covid nervous will enjoy the massive crowds of unmasked people and no distancing. Even for me, who is pretty comfortable with no masks and crowds, it was sort of CRAZY at first to be back to normal crowded theme park day.

I don’t personally think there is any difference between large crowds at the zoo or SeaWorld or Disneyland or wherever. Crowds are crowds. The zoos and SeaWorld are not even requiring reservations any more so capacity limits are not a thing there. And Disney’s “capacity” seems like “normal summer crowd levels” to me. We were at DTD today and it was crowded! Especially in the stores.

It's a personal choice, but here is mine: that is hard no for me. Because, if I were in your shoes:

1) The 1 year old is far too young, they won't really remember anything*. My absolute minimum is 1yo because of the measles vaccine being given then (MMR). Functional minimum is 18 months, we brought our oldest then and that was sensory overload and we kind of regretted it.

2) Vaccine is a hard stop for me, I scheduled my trip in November anticipating my 7yo will have had at least one dose by that trip. If vaccine approval is delayed for 5-11yo, then we are delaying our trip accordingly.

Just not worth dealing with any consequences. If I were in your shoes, I'd plan for a spring 2022 trip when your kids will (likely, i don't know their actual bdays) be closer to 4 and 2 and the likelihood of vaccine approval is higher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter