Disneyland to LA downtown

princesskayla

***This space reserved for a tag***
I am going to a convention in LA covention center in June. I was wondering if it was hard to get from Disneyland to downtown LA. I would rather stay at Disneyland if the commute was less than 1 hour, but if it is more than an hour, I had better stay in LA. Could anyone let me know about traffic and easability of getting around downtown LA?

The commute could take anywhere between 45min to 1hr 30min.
Another option would be to take public transportation.

There's a metrolink station near the Angels Stadium (about 3 miles from Disneyland). Not sure about the parking, but I think its free. There are also buses running from the Disneyland Resort Area to the station.

The train ride is quite pleasant and only takes about 40 min to get to union station. From there you would need to transfer to the Red Line (North Hollywood bound) or Purple Line (Wilshire/Western Bound) train. Get off at the 7th Metro Center Station. From there, you can transfer to Blue Line (Long Beach bound) for a 1 stop ride to the Convention Center/Staple Center station.

Another option would be to just exit the 7th Metro Center Station and brisk walk down Figueroa to the Convention Center (should take 15-20 min)

It's all going to depend on L.A. traffic, but plan on at least an hour and 30 minutes. If it's shorter, you're in luck.

45 minutes on a good day but do allow 1.5 hours travel time. Los Angeles freeways are usually a mess. :headache:

Wow, that is exactly what I needed to know. I live in Atlanta, so I am kind of used to long commutes and messy freeways. I think I will try the public transportation.

Hi~
I just want to put in my 2c. Most of Downtown LA is a drag. Not very safe. Dont try to walk to Union station. Take a cab. Just say Union station. Dont act like you are from out of town. That way the taxi will take a strait shot, not the "scenic route".
But if you are coming back from DL at night, to DowntownLA please be careful! Me personally , I would stay at a hotel in Hollywood and take the metrolink or taxi to Downtown to your convention. You can catch the metro on Hollywood blvd. Hollywood is way safer than staying in Downtown (just stay west of Highland). There are some nice hotels down there like the Bonaventure,but it is surrounded by lots of dangerous stuff.
Everything in LA is actually pretty close but it is just blocked by lots of traffic. If you have any questions you can ask me. I would love to help.:idea:

Thanks so much for the advice. I do not have anyone else going with me at this time, but I am working on getting someone else to go. I never thought of staying in Hollywood. That is not a bad idea. I will look into that. I am sure I will have lots of questions for you once I get the offical word that I am going. (Work has to okay the days off). Thanks again.

Hi~
I just want to put in my 2c. Most of Downtown LA is a drag. Not very safe. Dont try to walk to Union station. Take a cab. Just say Union station. Dont act like you are from out of town. That way the taxi will take a strait shot, not the "scenic route".
But if you are coming back from DL at night, to DowntownLA please be careful! Me personally , I would stay at a hotel in Hollywood and take the metrolink or taxi to Downtown to your convention. You can catch the metro on Hollywood blvd. Hollywood is way safer than staying in Downtown (just stay west of Highland). There are some nice hotels down there like the Bonaventure,but it is surrounded by lots of dangerous stuff.
Everything in LA is actually pretty close but it is just blocked by lots of traffic. If you have any questions you can ask me. I would love to help.:idea:

Totally agree, downtown can be crazy, altho like Corpsebride said there are nice hotels amongst the filth (I would add The Standard and The Biltmore) but you would not want to even walk around outside them alone. We walked from the Standard north to Disney Hall and the MOCA and it was OK. There are better places to stay in LA...

Downtown LA isn't that bad. I mean the only difference between Downtown LA and NYC IMO is that no one lives in Downtown LA but safety is about the same. That being said because Downtown LA is more of a business center than a mixed living business area, there is NO ONE there during the evening unless there's an event at Nokia or Staples Center. Driving isn't an option and its an option, I would not consider...take this from someone who spent 12 years commuting into Downtown LA for work. It never takes less than an hour unless you are carpooling with someone. Its a headache, its a nightmare and the one way streets near the convention center and the high cost of parking will probably cause a blood vessel in your head to pop. Either stay in Downtown as most of the hotels convention attendees stay in are on Figueroa. Another option is to take a train from Orange County. You can take it from Fullerton or Anaheim. Parking is free at both locations. There are a lot of train commuters and many are very willing to help you find the best way to the Convention Center. The quickest and easiest from the Metrolink is when you finally get to Union Station is to follow everyone towards the Red Line subway. Jump on any of the trains as that location is the end of the line. Any of the trains will take you to 7th/Metro exit. Your Metrolink ticket allows you to ride the red line...kinda like a transfer. At the station, don't transfer to the Blue Line as it will take you longer to wait. But if you dont mind the walk, just walk south on Figueroa to the Convention Center.

As far as safety, you'll be fine because it is busy with business people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter