Disneyland newbies: August, are we crazy? Also help on hotel.

Princess Jes

DIS Veteran
hi y'all!!

Long time DISer, first time Disneyland poster!

My sister (@minniemumma ) and I are planning a whirlwind trip to the states (from Australia) to hit Disneyland and Universal Orlando.

Firstly, we are looking at August, firstly because it's the dead of winter in Melbourne and miserable, second because it's still nice and hot in SoCal and Orlando, and thirdly because it's just before our September school break, so flights aren't out of control.

This time of year definitely works for WDW and UOR, but historical data looks like August is busy for DLR?
Touring plans has this year much lower than previous years, but is this because the 60th has skewed the last 2 years results?

Also, given the exchange rate isn't amazing for us (though better than it's been for a couple of years), we can't justify staying on property, plus we are trying to do the main stuff as thriftily as possible, leaving us more $$ for food/drink and souvineirs.

In tens of hotel, I think Harbour Blvd looks to be the best fit for us. Nice and close to the parks but also to garden walk (we HAVE to try the Cheesecake Factory!)

We can get the following hotels/motels for similar pricing (~$950 AUD):
HoJo
Tropicana (slightly more I think)
Sheraton park

The Annabella is slightly cheaper also but unsure of the location.

We are 2 women, 30 and 33, both fit and healthy. No kids.
I can't deal with a ratty hotel (rust and grossness freaks me out) but we don't need a fancy place. Just somewhere clean, safe and close.
I think the Tropicana would border on my gross factor (not that it's gross, just that it's a bit old) so in terms of the HoJo and the Sheraton, which would you go with?

hi y'all!!

In tens of hotel, I think Harbour Blvd looks to be the best fit for us. Nice and close to the parks but also to garden walk (we HAVE to try the Cheesecake Factory!)

We can get the following hotels/motels for similar pricing (~$950 AUD):
HoJo
Tropicana (slightly more I think)
Sheraton park

The Annabella is slightly cheaper also but unsure of the location.

We are 2 women, 30 and 33, both fit and healthy. No kids.
I can't deal with a ratty hotel (rust and grossness freaks me out) but we don't need a fancy place. Just somewhere clean, safe and close.
I think the Tropicana would border on my gross factor (not that it's gross, just that it's a bit old) so in terms of the HoJo and the Sheraton, which would you go with?

Here's a link to the Tropicana Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Tropicanainnanaheim/
They are remodeling their rooms and have a picture of one of them.

We stayed at the Tropicana in December and felt it was just fine. Even before the remodel.
Their Cove deli/shop was nice for a quick coffee and pastry to start the day.

It's an easy walk to and from the parks.

Take a look at the Candy Cane Inn.....easily walkable (~~5-10 minutes) and the option of a private (hotel operated) dedicated shuttle that is quite reliable. They also have a decent and expanded continental breakfast and really good customer service. Located on Harbor, right before Katella and on the same side of Harbor as DL/DCA (it is behind DCA!)
As far as August...weather will be warm, crowds...?? depends. Mid August HM shuts down for it's make-over into NBC version for Halloween and the holidays.
Hey, it's DISNEYLAND!! You'll have a great time!!

I had considered the candy cane inn (after hearing the team talk about it on the walk down harbour - I'm listening like mad to old episodes for hotel reviews and the like!!) but I think it wasn't as closely priced? I could be mistaken though.
EDIT: I just checked, and CCI is coming in more expensive than the others

As two women, I'm partial to internal corridors rather than motel style, the candy cane is a mix right?

I have had a look and it seems HM goes down around the 20th of August (in past years) and we are looking at Aug 11-16 so hopefully shouldn't miss it!!

Last edited:

Hojo building 1 will be interior coridoors. Its an easy walk and will be fine. Courtyard theme park is sometimes the same price and much nicer. Definitely feels safer. Interior places to eat and sit. Fire pit on the patio. Its across the street and a few steps closer.

We are going the first week of August for a 4 day trip, staying at HoJo. We have never stayed at HoJo and after booking I had some second thoughts thinking it might be a pretty far walk (we do have a couple of kids 2 and 5), but hey isn't that what a trip to Disneyland is, walking and walking and then some more walking? Anyway, I have been to Disneyland many times the first week of August and it is just as crowded as pretty much any other time of the year, except for December, which is beyond crowded. I think crowded is a relative term when it comes to Disneyland these days.

Also, I checked HoJo on the "bed bug report" and from what I can tell they haven't had any. That is a pretty big criteria for me:).

Hojo building 1 will be interior coridoors. Its an easy walk and will be fine. Courtyard theme park is sometimes the same price and much nicer. Definitely feels safer. Interior places to eat and sit. Fire pit on the patio. Its across the street and a few steps closer.
This one doesn't seem to be a good neighbor hotel? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

This one doesn't seem to be a good neighbor hotel? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?
Posted twice - oops. However, I did notice above you mentioned Annabell Hotel. We stayed there once and the rooms are nice, however, we felt like it was a really long walk (down Katella a little ways and then up Disneyland Drive leading to Downtown Disney) and at night it was a dark, lonely walk, not like on South Harbor where there seems to always be a pretty big group of people always moving around that street.

Last edited:
The good neighbor label means that they have worked out with Disney to sell park tickets. It is NOT a recommendation from Disney, just a business arrangement they have paid for. The area along Harbor Blvd. near the crosswalk and roughly from HoJo's to Candy Cane Inn is very well traveled and populated with families going to and from Disneyland. The motels with exterior walkways are just as safe. In any city or situation always be aware of your surroundings, no matter what!

Howard Johnson (HoJo) is a good neighbor hotel from what I can see on the Disneyland website.
Sorry, I was referring to the courtyard theme park that was mentioned.

In terms of knowing about good neighbor vs not, I'm across that part.
I was thinking that with exchange rates the way they are, it was going to work out cheaper to book with a local TA here (I've booked my previous trips with Dreams) but I crunched some numbers at lunch and the difference is marginal, so will most likely stick with Dreams for this trip.
Aussies can get decent deals at DLR due to LAX being our main point of entry to the US, and WDW doesn't get many deals so we are better to go with Dreams for WDW.
I'd feel better about booking with dreams though, support the team and all that ;-)

Touring Plans adjusted their ratings. So a 7 this year is busier than a 7 in previous years. From what I've read here, people felt that TP didn't correctly anticipate the crowd increases for the 60th.

Hotel Indigo. Very nice and modern without any of the gross factor. :)
We're pretty set on the hotels listed above, but the indigo does look nice.
Is it a good neighbor? It doesn't seem like it is and the rates are pretty high ($1132 AUD for 4 nights)

The good neighbor thing is irrelevant. Its a way for local hotels to promote their property and Disney is happy to take their money. I've stayed at many of the hotels listed here. The Indigo is very nice. But sometimes it can be expensive. The nicer properties are going to cost more. Look at the IHG website for the best rates.

I think you'll have a great time in August. It's hot -- kind of "the dog days of summer" in So Cal. But the park is operating at full swing, stays open late, and there's nothing like Splash Mountain or Grizzly River Rapids on a hot summer day. Warm nights are fun nights at DLR. And there are more tourists than locals because some of the annual passes are blocked for much of the summer.

I say all this because I live in So Cal and have an AP that allows summer access. We only make it to the parks about 5 trips a year, but I always make sure that one of them is in the middle of summer. Makes me feel like a kid again. (School's out for summer...)

Hi guys I'm the other half of this trip!! The heat doesn't really bother, us we prefer it! Just thought I'd chime in and introduce myself!!!!

The good neighbor thing is irrelevant. Its a way for local hotels to promote their property and Disney is happy to take their money. I've stayed at many of the hotels listed here. The Indigo is very nice. But sometimes it can be expensive. The nicer properties are going to cost more. Look at the IHG website for the best rates.
It's not irrelevant if you want to book through Disney though.

It's not irrelevant if you want to book through Disney though.

But why would you book through disney when you can usually get much better rates on your own by booking everything individually? It's been my experience that booking things through disney is more expensive.

But why would you book through disney when you can usually get much better rates on your own by booking everything individually? It's been my experience that booking things through disney is more expensive.
That is probably the case if you're booking from within the US, but as i mentioned above, I've crunched the numbers and it's actually coming out pretty much the same, which did actually surprise me.
And at least this way, I don't have to deal with the Expedias of the world if something went awry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter