Disneyland hotel or Newport Bay Club

jf256

Mouseketeer
DLH is 100 pound cheaper than NBC as it has free full board and we would have to upgrade NBC. + lakeview

The rooms just look so dated and not very magical at all... benefits of being near park etc. Anyone have any opinions

We are 2 adults only btw. One disney fan but not really been to the parks (me). One more meh but will do it cos he loves me.

My opinion is: If you are going to spend the majority of the time in the park and only go to the hotel to sleep, go for cheapest as possible. Same as with a special view, if you are going to look at the view for less than 5 minutes in the morning when you open the curtains, go for a normal room. We always stay at Cheyenne or Santa Fe for this reason. We only stay in a bigger room/club level during the Marathon weekends as we know we will make use of the room and the lounge during this weekend.

If you look for magic in your room... lower your expectations. At Disneyland Paris you have hotels. At Disney World you have resorts. It is a normal hotel room with some extra decor. Looking for magic will end in disappointment.
Distance to the park is about 10 minutes from New Port Bay. If you want to go back to your room for a break, it's not going to take that much more time out of your day than staying at the Disneyland Hotel. It was the last hotel on the list to be refurbished, so yes, it will look more outdated than NPB, however, I do think the look of the hotel rooms will stay the same after the refurbishment. New carpet, some paint, etc.

Disclaimer: One thing I never understood is people who go by resorts to have a look at the decor. I think magic in US Disney hotel rooms is overrated. The only time I saw magic was when I visited the Dream Suite in Disneyland Anaheim, and that one cannot be booked :P

Not really looking for magic. I have incredibly low expectations of dlp hotel rooms.. maybe too low. Just want to make sure it is clean and has decent facilities. We are planning to go for 4 nights 5 days. So will probably spend at least one slightly more relaxing day.

Example: we went to champenys last year. Which i did have high expectations for and the room was awful 1960s g plan and looked like a nursing home. Yeah we didnt spend a lot of time there but it dragged us down when we got back in the evening. So yeah decor is not the most important thing but I do think it can round off a nice day.

I am also going to price up the centre parcs nearby and get tix seperate. How far away is that.. would we need a car

I think if those are your expectations you should do fine with either DLH or NPB. I do not think pictures really do any hotel room justice. I think the decor at NPB looks more modern than DLH. But that doesnt say anything about the condition of the room.

For Center Parcs, have a look at the other topics, there were more people who looked at this as an option recently.

I haven't stayed in DLH but I found Newport Bay really clean, pretty modern and I'll definitely stay there again. When I see pictures online, DLH looks more dated so I would pick Newport Bay if I were going again.

We stayed at the Centre Parcs last year and thought it was great - there is a €2 shuttle bus; it takes about 15 mins and goes along motorways so definitely not walkable. There is parking but we had no issues with the bus.

I would jump at Disneyland Hotel if it were cheaper than Newport Bay. No question. As well as the proximity to the parks you have more choice of restaurants on the free full board plan then you would on the free plan given with Newport Bay.
I stayed in DLH in 2008, so can't give any advice on updates, but I liked the room a lot. Long curtains and door out to a patio area. Nice big bed, not modern, bit chintzy, but definitely didn't feel like g-plan. The common areas are nice but the pool is small and I think the bar was too. It was nice sitting and eating breakfast, watching people going into the park, knowing you'd already popped in and gotten a few rides under your belt already.

Last edited:
I've only stayed at Newport Bay, but I would've stayed at DLH if it were cheaper (or only a little more expensive) for the location alone. The public areas of DLH did seem a bit dated, but Newport Bay wasn't exactly that great either, especially compared to Disney World resorts. It was perfect for what we wanted (being near the parks), but the decor seemed a little cheap and the room was a little run down (like peeling wallpaper).

We stayed at Newport and although we loved it, every time I passed by/through DLH, I wished we were staying there. I said if we ever went back, I would want to splurge to stay there. Newport was not a far walk but you cannot beat the location of DLH, especially if you are travelling to Paris or using the metro at all, the station is literally at the doorstep.

We stayed at Newport and although we loved it, every time I passed by/through DLH, I wished we were staying there. I said if we ever went back, I would want to splurge to stay there. Newport was not a far walk but you cannot beat the location of DLH, especially if you are travelling to Paris or using the metro at all, the station is literally at the doorstep.
I feel exactly the same!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts