Disneyland hotel - on property or off ? Etc

user123

Earning My Ears
cut and pasted from my post in another part of this site...

Hello Everyone

Would like to take my family to Disneyland, Anaheim, CA in April of this year.

I have a 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter.

I see that a few hotels exist on the property. We are trying to watch our budget (as realistically as possible, it is Disneyland...) and would like to know

1. What property on site is cheapest ?

2. What pros/cons exist for staying on site versus off site at another hotel. How expensive are the meals at the Disney hotels. Do these off site hotels offer shuttles to Disney ?

3. If off-site, what hotel is recommended ?

I am trying to balance budget with hotel luxury

Thank You everyone

There are many great hotels across Harbor Blvd. that are actually closer than some of the onsite hotels. Howard Johnson is a popular one that I've actually stayed at and about an 8 minute walk to the gates. There are many closer like ParkVue and a Best Western I think. We have only ever stayed onsite once and while it was fun, it was just a special add on to a trip that we had already planned (stayed 3 nights offsite then added 2 nights at the DLH) when we had extra overtime right before Christmas. Definitely stay offsite and save the money.

for off property i will put in my vote for "desert inn"

http://www.anaheimdesertinn.com/

its not the best off site but i have stayed there over 10 times only because of the location and price.. which you cant bet too much.. it is located between denny's and ihop for breakfast if always cheap and easy.

and the location cant be beat. walk up about 20 ft to the cross walk, cross the street and walk pass the bus drop off area and you are at the front gates.

hfskfhfkd.jpg
[/IMG]

1. What property on site is cheapest ?

2. What pros/cons exist for staying on site versus off site at another hotel. How expensive are the meals at the Disney hotels. Do these off site hotels offer shuttles to Disney ?

3. If off-site, what hotel is recommended ?

1. Paradise Pier Hotel, it's about 10-12 minutes to the gates when you cut through the GCH.

2. Onsite,
When you stay at one of the Hotels of the Disneyland Resort, you never have to leave the magic of Disney!

Right Next Door

With quick access to Disneyland Park, Disney California Adventure Park and the Downtown Disney District, everything is just footsteps from your door!

Magic Morning Entry with Theme Park Admission*

Enjoy one Magic Morning entry into Disneyland Park before it opens to the general public. Valid theme park admission required.

Exclusive Entrance

An exclusive entrance into Disney California Adventure Park through Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa makes the walk even quicker for Guests of the Hotels of the Disneyland Resort. Valid theme park admission required.

Disney Character Dining

Laugh, dance and dine with Goofy, have French toast with Mickey Mouse or share pancakes with Chip 'n Dale! (Additional cost; reservations recommended. Not exclusive to hotel Guests.) Learn more about Disney Character Dining!

Disney Character Wake-Up Calls

Start your day off right with a special wake-up call from a Disney Character.

Key To The Magic and Package Express

Use your Key to the Magic card to charge meals and merchandise right to your room — and have your Resort merchandise purchases delivered right to your hotel with our Package Express service.

The meals vary, you don't have to stay onsite to eat at the hotels. For menus and pricing look at the link the hotels are near the bottom.
http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/menus.htm

Offsite, cost is half as much. Many hotels to choose from within a 10 minute walk. There is a shuttle system but it takes time and is better to stay withing walking distance. Many offsite locations offer free continental breakfasts.

3. Park Vue Inn, Best Western Park Place Inn, Candy Cane Inn, Hojo Anahiem, Ramada Maingate.

If price is your biggest factor, stay offsite. If the experience is more important, stay onsite. We stayed at the DLH in 2009 when our kids were 4 and 6. The walk was about 10 minutes but it is through Downtown Disney. There is usually music playing and no traffic so the kids can run around a bit (depending how busy it is). You really feel like you never left the magic. Offsite, you are walking down and crossing fairly busy roads, not magical at all.

If money is no issue, then definitely stay onsite. We only stayed onsite once years ago when our oldest was a toddler. Since then, we've only stayed offsite. The hotels outside DL are a fraction of the cost of the DL hotels. While it was nice to be immersed in the "magic" of DL, we realized we were barely in our room to make it worthwhile. These days, I like to book with getawaytoday.com. They have fantastic hotel packages, which include your hotel stay, and some or all of these important freebies: free parking, sometimes kids eat free, and free shuttle to the park.

Like others have said 2 of the disney hotels are not any closer to the entrance than many of the offsite hotels on Harbour street. Grand Cali is just way too expensive for me for a "quick 4 day inexpensive trip" (thats our case) yes i have the money to spend on it but since we bareLy spend time in the room and the locations of the offsite are just as close as so called onsite i cant justify the extra $1500 Im al for luxury trust me but some reason i just cant do it at disneyland. wer staying at the Hojo kids suite seperate room with king bed and bunk beds and pull out couch in the other room mimis cafe is across the street for good food options the best offsite pool option in anaheim for kids

We walk in the morning and then like the option to take the ART shuttle back but freuently we walk kids are 6 and 9

I *always* think it is worth it to stay on property if you can afford it (and I think others do to, honestly!)--but we can't always afford it. We do it 2 times a year, max. After that, we stay off property.

I will say that I hated every moment of my stay at Best Western Park Place Inn--and it is the closest to the parks as far as a walk. Closest walk doesn't always equal: happy stay. There is a huge difference as far as experience of the vacation as far as staying on property or off.

We have stayed at some good motels/hotels off property that I feel fine about returning to--but that isn't the same as which place I would pick if I could.

Hope that makes sense!
Lisa:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter