Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotels - better rates directly?

frostedpink

Mouseketeer
I was researching some Disneyland good neighbor hotels and it was driving me nuts that when booking through the Disney site, they don't actually show you the price of your room per night. It's all bundled in with the tickets.
Well being the genius that I am, I priced out tickets alone, and then the hotel alone directly from the hotel's website. The hotel was over $300 cheaper when I went thru their direct website.

That really irks me. Is there some other advantage that I'm missing by not booking through Disney? The tickets I priced out were still park hopper with early morning access.

I think it's better to book directly through the hotel. The Disney packages just show you the total package price, but not the price per night. I've priced it out both ways and it seems to be less expensive to book with the hotel directly and buy your tickets separately. It's also easier to deal with the hotel if you want to modify your dates or room type.

Also, keep in mind that a "Good Neighbor Hotel" just means that they can be booked through Disney and are allowed to sell park tickets at their front desks. There's no guarantee of quality or anything special with that title. I like to look at all of the hotels in the area whether they have that title or not.

I was wondering the same, and I priced it out and compared the same way you did. We actually ended up booking through Get Away Today. They had great prices, and lots of good comments on this site about them. I did wonder if there were any 'perks' to booking through Disney, but my searching these boards came up with nothing. We also preferred the cancellation policy and price through Get Away as compared to Disney's policy! Good luck!

Booking individually gives many advantages... First, many hotels are cheaper when you book directly. For instance, if you call Park Vue Inn for a reservation, they will knock off a bit of the price of their rooms (in my experience, about $10-20/night, but it's been as high as $40/night off when I mentioned we were returning guests). Along with booking directly, there's some hotels on Harbor that aren't Good Neighbor hotels (again, Park Vue), so they won't even show up as an option on the .com site. I'll come back to the Good Neighbor designation in a second. Back to booking directly--lower prices from the hotel, and a larger selection of hotels. It also allows you to find lower prices on tickets. For example, some corporations participate in Tickets At Work, or Life Balance Program, which provide discount tickets. Last Minute Travel and many other sites also have discounted tickets. 3+day tickets with park hoppers will usually have Magic Morning on them--if they are bought at the gates, or are Military Salute tickets, they won't have MM, but almost all others do. It's nothing "special"/extra that you get from buying the tickets directly through Disney... However, ALWAYS buy through a reputable 3rd party seller, not someone off Craigslist :) So, you can save some money booking the hotel yourself, and an additional $20+ per ticket.

Benefits for booking through Disney? Oh, you get the luggage tags! And some coupons. I think sometimes you can get PhotoPass for "free" with some packages (or you can pay $10/day for MaxPass which has PhotoPass, and still come out ahead of what you would otherwise spend in the package). I think you may still get the plastic "souvenir" entry cards, but I'm not sure about that--I feel like I remember hearing that they started sending the cardstock tickets.

Good Neighbor Hotels. Disney says, "Hey, give us $$$, and let us sell a few of your rooms for your hotel and we'll give you the title of Good Neighbor property! Then you can sell your customers tickets to our park!" And the hotel says, "Oh, okay! Here's $$$, and number of rooms you wanted. Thanks! We'll recommend all our customers buy your tickets through us!" There's no quality measures, no cleanliness requirements, no maximum distance from the parks, no extra Disney features the hotel gets (other than the ability to sell tickets). Sorry, I take that back... It allows the hotel to buy certain promotional items, like flags to hang on their property. So, Good Neighbor hotels are fine... but they aren't any better than any other hotel.

I was researching some Disneyland good neighbor hotels and it was driving me nuts that when booking through the Disney site, they don't actually show you the price of your room per night. It's all bundled in with the tickets.
Well being the genius that I am, I priced out tickets alone, and then the hotel alone directly from the hotel's website. The hotel was over $300 cheaper when I went thru their direct website.

That really irks me. Is there some other advantage that I'm missing by not booking through Disney? The tickets I priced out were still park hopper with early morning access.
Booking WAY in advance can get you a better rate too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter