Disney World with a 1 year old?

We visited with our then 19 month old in January. It was a wonderful trip! We also have two older children, so our touring plans did not change much from pre-baby. She would nap in her stroller and we would take the older kids on the rides she couldn't ride with a rider swap. We also brought a harness so we could let her out of the stroller and she could walk around and not get too far. Keep a sippy cup with you to refill as needed and I would recommend bring child sized fork and spoon, as the ones provided as Disney are way too big for little ones.

If your little one will only sleep in a crib, I would recommend renting a full sized crib from A Baby's Best Friend. Resorts only offer pack n plays and this can be uncomfortable for a long stay. We really appreciated the full size crib and mattress.

Other than than, I think just take it slow and enjoy!

We visited with our then 19 month old in January. It was a wonderful trip! We also have two older children, so our touring plans did not change much from pre-baby. She would nap in her stroller and we would take the older kids on the rides she couldn't ride with a rider swap. We also brought a harness so we could let her out of the stroller and she could walk around and not get too far. Keep a sippy cup with you to refill as needed and I would recommend bring child sized fork and spoon, as the ones provided as Disney are way too big for little ones.

If your little one will only sleep in a crib, I would recommend renting a full sized crib from A Baby's Best Friend. Resorts only offer pack n plays and this can be uncomfortable for a long stay. We really appreciated the full size crib and mattress.

I agree with the Sippy cup and fork and spoon. I always have those in my diaper bag anyway. I also brought the disposable sticky placemats too. That really helped with feeding DD off our plates at meals.

We are staying at Old Key West this year. They told us we can have a crib instead of the Pack 'n Play. I hope I am not getting bad information as a crib is supposed to be in the room when we arrive!

We will probably try a water park also since it is included in our pass. it is a matter of which one is more young kid oriented. I thought it would be Typhoon Lagoon but after doing some reading I think it may be Blizzard Beach. It has been so long since I have been to them I don't remember what they are like. We are reall just looking for a nice lazy river and some small slides or a kids section.

Ds has gone at 6mo, 13mo and 15mo.

Ds likes most rides -

MK - IASW, Buzz (his favorite), People Mover, Tea Cups, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Dumbo, Flying Carpets, the Carousel, etc..

Epcot - Nemo, the fish and play area when you exit Nemo (his favorite), Mexico boatride, Maelstrom, Journey into Imagination.

AK - Safari, flying dinosaurs (whatever it's called)

DHS - we didn't stay here long, but he liked Toy Story and the Great Movie Ride

The only ride he really didn't like at all was the Haunted Mansion.

He really enjoyed parades and some shows like the Lion King. The Nemo show in AK was not a big hit, nor was a Bug's Life. He was more interested in playing with the glasses in Philharmagic than watching the movie.

He did fine most times with the characters. Every now in the then he wasn't in the mood.

He enjoyed some time to walk around and explore. There's areas in every park that are good for this. Be careful in crowded areas like the Dig Site or the play area in DHS. They were too crowded and with too many big kids running around to be safe for him.

As pp said, bring a comfortable stroller that has a good recline so she can nap when tired if you are out.

If you will be switching to whole milk at 1yr, it is surprisingly hard to find at WDW. They don't sell it at carts or smaller counter places. It's mostly at the main counter service locations, which may not be open in the morning, at night, etc.. I don't like to bring it in the heat, so it was a scramble to get at times.

WDW doesn't sell food geared for toddlers. My son eats table food, but plain cooked vegetables, fresh fruit, grilled or roasted meats, not burgers, fries, raw carrots, etc.. He threw their nuggets on the floor after one bite, but otherwise eats chicken. Sometimes it was applesauce or sliced apples and that was all there was for him really. I was better prepared at 15mo and brought more food for him.

I suggest preordering the photopass, you will have so many great pics you will want them all.

Ds has gone at 6mo, 13mo and 15mo.

Ds likes most rides -

MK - IASW, Buzz (his favorite), People Mover, Tea Cups, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Dumbo, Flying Carpets, the Carousel, etc..

Epcot - Nemo, the fish and play area when you exit Nemo (his favorite), Mexico boatride, Maelstrom, Journey into Imagination.

AK - Safari, flying dinosaurs (whatever it's called)

DHS - we didn't stay here long, but he liked Toy Story and the Great Movie Ride

The only ride he really didn't like at all was the Haunted Mansion.

He really enjoyed parades and some shows like the Lion King. The Nemo show in AK was not a big hit, nor was a Bug's Life. He was more interested in playing with the glasses in Philharmagic than watching the movie.

He did fine most times with the characters. Every now in the then he wasn't in the mood.

He enjoyed some time to walk around and explore. There's areas in every park that are good for this. Be careful in crowded areas like the Dig Site or the play area in DHS. They were too crowded and with too many big kids running around to be safe for him.

As pp said, bring a comfortable stroller that has a good recline so she can nap when tired if you are out.

If you will be switching to whole milk at 1yr, it is surprisingly hard to find at WDW. They don't sell it at carts or smaller counter places. It's mostly at the main counter service locations, which may not be open in the morning, at night, etc.. I don't like to bring it in the heat, so it was a scramble to get at times.

WDW doesn't sell food geared for toddlers. My son eats table food, but plain cooked vegetables, fresh fruit, grilled or roasted meats, not burgers, fries, raw carrots, etc.. He threw their nuggets on the floor after one bite, but otherwise eats chicken. Sometimes it was applesauce or sliced apples and that was all there was for him really. I was better prepared at 15mo and brought more food for him.

I suggest preordering the photopass, you will have so many great pics you will want them all.

Great information! What is photopass? I've heard of it before but never really looked into it.

We are leaving for DD's third trip in a few weeks. She will be 11 months old. She went at 4 and 6 months. I know this trip is going to be harder since she loves to crawl. We don't go back to the room for breaks or naps. She naps in her stroller. We have a City Mini and we all love it (even DD). It has a great sun shade and reclines. Ours doesn't have a cupholder or tray but we bought a brica cup/snack holder. The one that goes with the stroller DD still can't see over so we haven't bought it yet (I tried it at the store). If you need one you need to make sure the one you rent has one and a parent console if you need that too. We would park the stroller in and area and see the whole land and then put her back and go to the next area. It's still a lot of in and out which is one reason I'm glad we don't have the tray. The basket isn't great. We have a mommy hook that we hang the back pack on when we are pushing her. It works great and is easy to get to the bag.

Photopass is great. You can pre-order the basic photpass which is the pics the photographers take of you in the parks or the Photopass + which includes some meals and any of the ride photos. When a photopass photographer takes your pic they scan your card. You can view your photos online and add borders. All your pics will be included on a CD. For the plus a few character meal photos are included and any ride photos. We got the plus this time as we have a few character meals planned and the price difference wasn't much. Photopass got so many great pics of all of us and DD. DH agrees we will keep getting it.

DD likes the fireworks and shows. We do have headphones for her in case she needs them though as it can be VERY loud. They have been great when we need her to nap and its loud. She slept through the lion king show at AK with them on.

I am a little worried about food but she has been doing great with finger foods here at home. Most of the time she eats what we eat so that what I am planning for WDW too. However I will have a back up. We will also be taking disposable placemats and bibs. Most of the time she dumps her food out of a bowl or plate. We are working on that. Also carrying around a gross bib all day in the heat doesn't sound fun.

The baby care centers are great but not the greatest for toddlers. The diaper changing ares are wonderful. At the AK one the highchairs are in the same room as the diaper changing and you can't take them in the room with the TV, they have to stay on the tile. HS is TINY but nice if its not crowded, Its in guest services. Epcot is nice and large. MK is nice but DD freaks out when we try to feed her in this one (not sure why). The baby care centers are great for changing diapers however I carry a few disposable changing pads in case we aren't near one. I have also changed DD in her stroller a few times. She really gets fussy on the changing tables in bathrooms and sometimes theres a long line.

The most important thing is to relax and have fun. Having a baby will slow you down but it will be great to see how they react and what they like.

Thanks everyone for all the great tips! My last concern is about the fireworks. Ds4 and ds18 mos are not usually a fan of loud noises. Anyone have a suggestion on where we can watch fireworks that is not too close to the noise? Please and thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter