Disney World in December (Christmas season)

canadawithboys

Earning My Ears
I am starting to lean towards a Disney World trip in early December, but have a few questions about that time of year! I hope this is the right forum for these questions! :)

During December, do the Christmas lights come on every evening after dark, or do they only come on for the "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party"? (It's in Magic Kingdom, right?) If I understand right... you have to pay separate admission to stay in the park during that time and you get booted out when it begins? Or could you stay but just not ride any rides? Are there different parades that happen during the Christmas party as opposed to the ones during the daytime? I would really love to see Disney all lit up, I'm sure it's beautiful in person!

Does the Magic Kingdom still feel "Disney Magical" or does the Christmas atmosphere kind of take over? I love Christmas, but I also love the feeling of Magic Kingdom the way I think of it, which is kind of a "loaded with magic, hot summer vacation feel".

Does "It's a Small World" change to a Christmas theme the way Disneyland's does? I searched on the net but it always brings up Disneyland's Small World. I know it sounds silly, but my boys love the rides as they know them and I think they might be somewhat disappointed if the rides were totally different than usual, etc.

What's to be expected of the weather? I have heard it varies hugely! I'm wondering if it will likely be too cold to have a pool day at our hotel, etc. Is it warm enough to "sit out by the pool" or do people pretty much stay away from that in December? I'm from Canada, and part of the thrill of coming down there during the winter is being able to be warm, wear shorts, go swimming, etc. I saw photos of people wearing puffy winter jackets during the Christmas season and I was surprised! I'm assuming it was people who are from around the area, and not Canadians ;) but still. We went at the end of September last year and to me it felt deathly hot and humid (though I was thankful it was warm) and I figured that December might be a little more moderate. Does the temperature etc change THAT much by December? Maybe it would feel warm to us, and just not to those who live in the area? Or is it chilly to everyone? (any people from cold climates who have been to Orlando in December want to chime in?)

Thanks so much in advance, any opinions are totally appreciated!! :D

I haven't been to WDW during Christmastime, but just wanted to say :welcome: to the DIS!

We absolutely love going at the beginning of December. You get all the wonderful Holiday experiences without the crowds. Now to answer some of your questions....

1) They do light the castle every night even if it's a MVMCP night. However, if it is a MVMCP night you will either need to purchase a ticket to stay at the park past party time, or you will need to leave. I would recommend doing the party at least once if you've never done it. It is amazing!!

2) You will definitely still experience and feel the Disney Magic during the Holiday Season.

3)No, Small World does not change at all during the Holiday Season.

Hope that helps. Ohhh, another thing.....if you go during this time don't miss Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Hollywood Studios!! :)

Ohhh forgot to mention we always had great weather when we were there at that time too. Very little rain, and pleasant temps. I usually wear capris or jeans, a t-shirt, and I bring a light jacket in case I need it in the evening.

Jen0504 said:
Ohhh forgot to mention we always had great weather when we were there at that time too. Very little rain, and pleasant temps. I usually wear capris or jeans, a t-shirt, and I bring a light jacket in case I need it in the evening.

We went this year between Christmas and New Years.

It's a small worked did not get changed.
It's still Disney magic, but with Christmas magic too,
Yes, the party is sep admission, and you have to leave.
It's beautiful!

We even went swimming Christmas Day, but two days later the high was 50f and it got in the low 30s at night.

Early December is a great time to go!! All of the resorts and theme parks are decorated for Christmas. We have been several times and the weather can vary alot.....one year it was very chilly during the day and we saw many families wearing shorts freezing their butts off. This past year it was beautiful...shorts during the day and jeans and a sweatshirt at night. Either way it will be warmer than Canada! :banana: Like another poster said the Osborne Spectacle of lights at MGM is not to be missed. Plus, Epcot has different storytellers in every country and the candlelight processional. All of this is included with your park admission. The only separate ticketed event is the Christmas party at the MK.

:welcome: and the beginning of December is an AWESOME time to go, you will not be disappointed:santa:

We "just got back" from Disney Christmas (Dec 6-14th). It was HOT. We swam every day. But some years, it has been frigged, so hot weather is not guaranteed.

There are tons of christmas things, but none of the rides change.
MK has the party, lighted castle and holiday add on to the projections show.
Epcot has Candlelight Processional and a special ending to IllumiNations.
DHS has the Osbourne Lights (a must do).
AK has a special daytime parade and the santa village at Camp Minnie Mickey

Disney during Christmas was incredible. I want to go again and probably will someday but you will not be disappointed. My only concern is going during peak season like Christmas time with the enforcement of the fast pass. We don't have the option of going in early December with the spouse being a teacher.

Thanks so much for moving this to the proper forum, I wasn't sure where to put it!
And thank you so much everyone for your input! Ok, I'm totally becoming more set on the idea of going now! :)
Does Magic Kingdom still run it's "regular" parades during the Christmas season? I LOVE the Electrical Parade, and would hate to miss it!
Is the weather such, in general, that you could hope to get a bit of a tan? :D Or is that asking a bit much? SO true that it will be warmer than Canada, regardless, LOL!! ;)

I just booked our second trip for 2013 for December 8th-15th. We've never been this time of year either and I'm excited to see it all decorated for the holidays. We are bringing my cousin, his children and my aunt and uncle, none have ever been to Disney. I can't wait!

canadawithboys said:
Thanks so much for moving this to the proper forum, I wasn't sure where to put it!
And thank you so much everyone for your input! Ok, I'm totally becoming more set on the idea of going now! :)
Does Magic Kingdom still run it's "regular" parades during the Christmas season? I LOVE the Electrical Parade, and would hate to miss it!
Is the weather such, in general, that you could hope to get a bit of a tan? :D Or is that asking a bit much? SO true that it will be warmer than Canada, regardless, LOL!! ;)

Best time of the year to go, even more magical than usual! Yes, regular parades run during the time you ill be there. Yes, you can get a tan! I was just in Orlando in early January and laid by the pool for 2 hours and got sunburn.

It's our favorite time to go! The weather is high 70's to mid 80's, not too hot, not too cold, just right. Sometimes it does get chilly at night (50's) but we like that type of weather, we hate if it's too hot.

The Disney magic is enhanced in my opinion, the decorations make it that much better and the christmas music, parade, and Christmas feel is amazing.

MVMCP is a must do at least once. Its not in the park every night, only 3 or 4days out of the week so you only get kicked out once in a while if you are not attending.

Also, the first week in December usually has light crowds, right before the holiday rush and schools getting out.

Enjoy your trip!

I just booked our second trip for 2013 for December 8th-15th. We've never been this time of year either and I'm excited to see it all decorated for the holidays. We are bringing my cousin, his children and my aunt and uncle, none have ever been to Disney. I can't wait!

We will be there the 7th- 15th. Where are you staying?

December is my favorite time to visit WDW. Relatively low crowds and usually cool and low humidity. I was there for a week this past December. Here is what I found:

The MK closed at 7 p.m. on party nights.
There is a special parade and fireworks during MVMCP. It is not the same parade as the afternoon parade. I believe it is the Christmas parade that they show on T.V.
Wishes doesn't show on Christmas party evenings.
Same with the electrical parade - didn't run in the evenings when they had the party.

As far as the weather, you really can't tell. I've been when it was in the 80's all week and other times the high might be in the 50's. This past December I think half the week was in the 80's then it cooled down to the 60's (which I prefer). The pools are all heated though, so you can swim even if the air temp isn't really hot.

It's really such a special time to go - there are decorations everywhere and everything is so pretty. Huge Christmas trees and special entertainment, especially at Epcot. I am planning on being there again this coming December.

we are'going dec'8 thru 15 staying at pop. going to'a'party on a tuesdsy celbrating gd birthday.

this is a once in a life'time trip for me. i always wanted to'see'disney in all its'holiday splendor.
epcot will feature story tellers'from esch country.

last years weather was amazing, 2010 was absolutly freezing. cousin was there and not prepeared. spent much of the entertsinment money os sweatshirts and gloves, etc.

pols areheated.-kids'can swim in any weather

When do the decorations and events like MVMCP and Osborne lights start? We were thinking about Thanksgiving week next year but don't want to miss the Holiday season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter