Disney World Grand Opening TV Special

Jonfw2

DIS Veteran
If you go to YouTube, just put the title of this thread in the search box- it's there in its entirety INCLUDING the original commercials.

It is so...bad. I mean...it's REALLY bad. Glenn Campbell starts it off walking through a swamp lip syncing while filmed entirely from a helicopter. Julie Andrews does the worst medley in history- but as a bonus it lasts literally forever. Then, Jonathan Winters does a "comedy" routine that is essentially ten minutes of spousal abuse. Not to be outdone, Glenn comes back (in a speedboat) to introduce Bob Hope who does a roast from the steps of the Contemporary to a lobby crowd that is inexplicably full of elderly people- and the biggest laugh he gets is for suggesting he wants to take two VERY young female cast members "to Adventure Land".

This is next level stuff, guys. Must see. 10/10.

Last edited:
This is next level stuff, guys. Must see. 10/10.

It is.

Sponsored by Eastern Airlines, GAF film.... DisneyWorld looks SO BARE. It looks more like a resort where you'd sail a ship, fish and golf. Not just outside the park, but the park ITSELF looks so bare.

You also realize all the characters that weren't a part of Disney back then. Julie Andrews dances in the streets with Goofy, Pluto and Pinnochio. Sometimes Julie Andrews is singing (lip synching), sometimes her voice is being played while she's not even trying to lip-synch. What a mess.

Mickey isn't seen until over 15 minutes in. And then he just waves by himself, alone. Yes, this is bad. Still watching it, OMG.

I don't think I ever saw Minnie Mouse. Mickey appears again at 1hr15minutes in. The only characters it seems Disney has in costume are The Three Pigs and the Wolf, Alice in Wonderland, Bambi characters, Snow White and Dwarfs, the Country Bears, Goofy, Pinnochio and Pluto. Oh, and the Song of the South Characters!

I didn't even see Donald Duck anywhere - or the Winnie the Pooh characters!

It's nice to see Julie Andrews singing from the Skyliner at 1:07:00. :) They had stops back inside Magic Kingdom back then. Would have been a lot more convenient.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter