Disney with two broken arms - (Final Day 1/23)

pmama

DIS Veteran
Wow, we've just returned from an amazing trip to WDW Sept. 10-20th. 10 Nights! Yes, my title is completely literal. This was a trip with MUCH (probably too much) planning, preparation, and expectation that was suddenly almost put to a hault just before leaving. The show did end up going on (obviously since this is my TR), but my commando personalitly was definitely challenged. More on our extremely unexpected obstacle later. This was our families second trip to WDW. We went last year and fell in love.:love: I started using the Dis this past April to help plan and it helped make our trip AMAZING. :woohoo: :rotfl: :woohoo: I hope by sharing our trip we can not only relive all our happy moments, but I can pass on some great tips that I learned from others here.:hug: Let me first introduce the cast of characters.

Me: 30 yr old mother of two and SAHM w/ elementary teaching degree (very occasional substitute in DD7 school).
DisneyWorld2008182-1.jpg

DH: 30 yr old VP of operations for electrical company and fabulous father.:goodvibes
DisneyWorld2008183-1-1.jpg

DD1: Hope - 7 (almost 8) yr old 2nd grader and terribly outgoing. Wouldn't second guess talking to the wall if it just would nod occasionally.:rotfl2: Loves Hannah Montana and the color pink.
DisneyWorld2008111-1.jpg

DD2: Faith - 4 yr old preschooler and though clingy and more shy she is a bundle of joy, makes us all laugh, and is usually pretty well behaved. Loves Ariel, and more recently Buzz Lightyear and Snow White.
DisneyWorld2008182-2.jpg

We had a great ride.:drive: And I hope some of you can stick around to see just how fabulous it was, broken arms and all.:scared1:

How this trip originated
30 days till Disney
The Downfall

Day 1 To Go or Not To Go
Day 1 Do The Hustle
Day 1 Pop and Tie Die Cheesecake
Day 2 Let's Go Soarin
Day 2 Epcot photopass pics
Day 2 Poisoned in Mexico
Day 2 We Love Snow White
Day 2 Birthday at Coral Reef
Day 2 What's that Rumbly in my Tummy
Day 3 Safari Baby!
Day 3 DH meets the Yeti
Day 3 Shows, Parade, and Boma
Day 4 Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
Day 4 Zip-a-dee-yeah!
Day 4 My Oh My What a Wonderful Day
Day 5 Princess Lunch at Epcot
Day 5 World Showcase in the Heat
Day 5 World Showcase in the Heat Pt 2
Day 5 What's That Sound?
Day 6 Sharks, what sharks?
Day 6 Fun in the Sun
Day 6 Downtown Disney
Day 7 Good Morning, Good Morning!
Day 7 Magical Moments
Day 7 Liberty Tree Tavern
Day 8 Crowds, Crowds Go Away!
Day 8 Unexpected Jewels!
Day 9 Poly photo shoot
Day 9 Poly photo shoot (part 2)
Day 9 FREE DAY!
Day 9 Blizzard Beach
Day 9 My Solo Outing
Day 10 Cinderella's Not So Royal Table
Day 10 Cinderella's Not So Royal Table Continued
Day 10 Tempting Tomorrowland
Day 10 Ohana means Family
Day 10 MNSSHP
Day 10 It Aint Over Till Elephants Fly
Day 11 Final Day

Last edited:
We visited WDW for 6 nights in late October 2007 and were in the world for our oldest daughter's 7th birthday. What a great birthday for her and great trip for us all. At the time we thought it was a once in a lifetime trip. We thought we might perhaps revisit in 3-5 years. None of us were ready to go home after 6 nights and felt like there was so much we didn't get to see. DH and I didn't even discuss revisiting so soon until March of 2007 when I suggested that maybe we should consider returning if they come out with free dining again. I am blessed in that DH is a disney lover. In fact, he is the one that got us there in the first place. I originally thought we should wait until the girls were pre-teens. I am so glad he persisted because we would have missed out on all the fun when they are still into princesses and characters and full of imagination.pixiedust: Although both DH and I visited WDW as children it is just a completely different and more amazing experience taking your own children. As I'm sure many of you have discovered as well.:goodvibes Thus DH is the Disney lover, but I am the Disney planner (and perhaps have become a bit of a Disney fanatic).:woohoo:

So, we decided that if they did come out with free dining that it was just too great an offer to pass by. (Last year we paid for DDP and loved it). On Easter morning I woke up before 5 a.m. (insomnia sufferer) and thought it would be a good time to try to book CRT ressies even though we weren't sure if we were going yet. I called right at 5 a.m. Mountain time 7 a.m. in Florida and was able to reserve breakfast in the Castle 180 days in advance!! Neither DH nor I invested too much enthusiasm as it was all at the "maybe" stage still at this time. In fact, I don't think I even mentioned making the resies until a couple weeks later.

Come April 7th and Disney announced free dining. We have the Disney Visa card so were able to book 3 days before general public. We booked Pop Century as I had read good things about it here on the Dis boards. Last year we did All Star Movies. With the free dining and great September rates we booked 10 nights. This was very difficult for me. We did book to leave on a day that DD7 would have a day off school but she would still miss 7 days.:scared1: Even though the teacher in me thinks that is horrible, I let my DH talk me into it. As kids get older (and I eventually return to work) we certainly won't be able to take advantage of these low crowd and great promotion times.

So, thus began my Disney planning obsession.:surfweb:

We do like to stretch our great vacations out and get the most out of them. Thus, our 100 days till Disney party!
IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

The girls and I had fun making the big Mickey sugar cookie and decorating it. The girls each got a couple of matching outfits for WDW w/ princesses on them. DH and I each got shirt w/ Mickey and as a family we got the Mickey swim bag you see in the last picture. We had plans to visit at least one water park this year. The girls and I also used that bag at our pool all summer!

:hourglass UP NEXT, 30 DAYS!!

I'm in can't wait to read and see morepopcorn::
Thanks for joining in. It's always more fun knowing I'm not just talking to myself.:goodvibes

Ready for more....:goodvibes Still curious to how you did Disney with two broken arms!? :confused:
I know, it's hard to imagine isn't it. I'll be getting to the "broken" part very soon.

I can't wait for more...
Thanks so much for reading along MomOfThree

Wow your girls are gorgeous! Can't wait to read more
Thanks for you're kind words. Glad you're here!:banana:

your family is so beautiful! I can't wait to hear more! that 100 days to Disney party is a great idea.

Thanks so much. MyKidsMom, are you a Dr. Laura fan?:goodvibes

Your title has me very curious. I hope it's a euphemism and no one really has two broken arms. That would be such a nightmare!

I'm in! You have a beautiful family! I have a question about your 1st WDW trip - how was late October crowd wise? I'm thinking about going the 3rd week of October for future trips (we have gone early November and early December - so I like low crowds. :goodvibes )

popcorn:: Waiting for more - 2 broken arms!:scared1:

Adorable family!! Cant wait to hear more about your trip!

I can not wait to hear more about your trip. :goodvibes

Thanks so much, working on next installment now!

Your title has me very curious. I hope it's a euphemism and no one really has two broken arms. That would be such a nightmare!
Nightmare, that's what I thought. But Disney has a way of making even the worst situations magical.

I'm in! You have a beautiful family! I have a question about your 1st WDW trip - how was late October crowd wise? I'm thinking about going the 3rd week of October for future trips (we have gone early November and early December - so I like low crowds. :goodvibes )

popcorn:: Waiting for more - 2 broken arms!:scared1:

Well, last year in October we thought the crowds were actually not too bad. Everything did have a wait but it was rare to wait more than 30-49 min. However, after going in September, October last year was WAY busier than Sep. this year. Our whole trip was virtually a walk on. Amazing.

You do have a beautiful family. I am subscribing. Can't wait for more.

Diane
Thanks so much for subscribing Diane.:hug:

Adorable family!! Cant wait to hear more about your trip!
Thanks so much. So glad you've joined us.

So, after months of feverous planning. Booking, canceling, and rebooking ADR's, etc. we were down to just 30 days. It was a long wait for us all but especially the girls since they had known about it from the beginning. We don't surprise them with the trip. We find that we have more fun building the suspense and making plans with the girls. So, it was time for our 30 day party and to start the 30 day count down calendar. The girls had so much fun putting a taking turns putting a sticker for each day down. I also filled a bowl w/ 30 hershey kisses and let one child eat a candy each day so we could watch the bowl empty as we got closer. This was fun for us all.
IMG_1046.jpg

This time we made Mickey pancakes.
IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

We opened a few final gifts. More matching clothes for the girls, glow sticks, panchos, etc. (Yes, I gift the cheapy stuff too. Milk every thing for it's moneys worth).
IMG_1048.jpg

And of course, I got another fun shirt. Yes, I pick out my own gift and put it in a bag and act surprised while everyone else knows that is what I'm doing.:rotfl:
IMG_1056.jpg

Well all was in place. Packing got started. Trip was overly planned. With all this planning and waiting what could go wrong.:confused3 Ooops, I forgot to knock on wood.

:hourglass Up next. . . the DOWNFALL:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter