• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Wish - First reviews from the media cruise - biased?

I'm amazed by how many people are writing off the ship before she actually sails with paying passengers.

Kind of reminds me of the Skyliner discussion when it was first announced.

Well its sailed and I am not writing it off I am saying dead on arrival.

The "best" part is they took up a bunch of top deck space for concierge but then didn't even give them a pool or restaurant to even try to match other lines like NCL Haven, MCL Yacht Club, or to lesser extents RCL Star/Sea Class, Carnival Havana.

Although watching all the content I do like the new quick service on the pool deck but thats hardly enough to say its an upgrade compared to what other cruise lines have done to improve their lines.

Everyone hated the idea of the Gondolas and Riviera Resort, but now everyone loves them.

Except why it got "slammed" is true and I am a Riviera owner. It has issues with thunderstorms and shuts down because Disney is unwilling to run it through all weather.

I think 2025 is too early honestly. I can see DCL running them until at they’re at least 30 years old.

When is Chapek retiring because its not before then thats for sure. Unless he can sell them to another cruise line who can keep the theme and run them in to the ground.

Heck Disney only has like 3 ships on order right? They don't have the backlog of ship orders to absorb the retirement.

It would be great if Disney replaced the Wonder with an actual cold weather cruise ship though with a solarium, indoor family pool, indoor viewing decks, ect.

The "best" part is they took up a bunch of top deck space for concierge but then didn't even give them a pool or restaurant to even try to match other lines like NCL Haven, MCL Yacht Club, or to lesser extents RCL Star/Sea Class, Carnival Havana.

DCL Concierge has a long way to go before it can compete with The Haven or Yacht Club. Maybe they'll try with ship #6.

i thought concierge does have a pool.....concierge has a huge footprint on that ship....i think there are two outside decks, one with a pool....but i could very well be wrong....and i'm too lazy to go look at the deck plans

Ships rarely stay with the original owner longer than 25-30 years. Maintenance costs are just too much. Magic will be 27 in 2025.
I disagree. DCL is not a typical line. Most mass market cruise ships look awful when they're the Magic's age, but with DCL, if you didn't know, you wouldn't know how old she is. And she's still making good money for DCL and is a high-demand ship. They're adding a new private island, and indicating that they want to sail to more ports. That's where 7 ships will come in handy for them.

I disagree. DCL is not a typical line. Most mass market cruise ships look awful when they're the Magic's age, but with DCL, if you didn't know, you wouldn't know how old she is. And she's still making good money for DCL and is a high-demand ship. They're adding a new private island, and indicating that they want to sail to more ports. That's where 7 ships will come in handy for them.
It's not about what you see in the hallways and atrium. It's in the engineering room and bridge technology. That's what makes premium lines retire ships in that timeframe. Those systems become obsolete and difficult to maintain. I guess we'll see. But my guess is in about 18 months (maybe less), you're going to start hearing about the "final sailings" for the Magic and Wonder.

Totally agree - I’ve been on Enchantment of the Seas which is about the same age as the Magic. She absolutely showed her age - and this was about 7 years ago I sailed her.

With such a small fleet and premium prices Disney has taken better care of their ships. The Magic isn’t out of the factory new but for a ship that’s 22 she looks pretty good.

It's not about what you see in the hallways and atrium. It's in the engineering room and bridge technology. That's what makes premium lines retire ships in that timeframe. Those systems become obsolete and difficult to maintain. I guess we'll see. But my guess is in about 18 months (maybe less), you're going to start hearing about the "final sailings" for the Magic and Wonder.
Unless they plan to run the Magic and Wonder for another 10 years, well beyond that 30 year mark. If they keep those two ships beyond '25, then they'll likely announce two more ships joining the fleet to replace Magic/Wonder in the 2030s

Totally agree - I’ve been on Enchantment of the Seas which is about the same age as the Magic. She absolutely showed her age - and this was about 7 years ago I sailed her.

With such a small fleet and premium prices Disney has taken better care of their ships. The Magic isn’t out of the factory new but for a ship that’s 22 she looks pretty good.

my husband and i will be on Rhapsody of the Seas in October.
I think that ship is older than the Magic.
I just saw a video and she looks much better than the Wish in terms of design - you can actually see the ocean from most places on the ship..
did that bother anyone else about the Wish?
it drove me crazy how little of the ocean i saw when i was onboard..
it's such a crazily inward facing ship for no apparent reason...
even along the corridor to arrendelle, the giant portholes were frosted over....why? i want to see the ocean..
i get it...they're going for theme...
but after a while, i was getting cabin fever...

The reason I say that is because I don't think they want to go to a fleet of 7, then reduce capacity & revenue 3 years later and phase out two ships.
Or perhaps they will announce two new ships of either the same design or a new version.

In about 45 minutes Adam Hattan's series on the Disney Wish will start. Travel day and pre-day at Pop Century for today and a new day every Sunday at 17:00 BST.

It doesn't say if he travelled on the MV or if he was invited in the trailer or in the text under the video, but it is possible. Adam and Gary are usually very positive and just happy to be in a Disney park/on a Disney cruise again, but he can be critical from time to time. His videos are usually over an hour long. So we can expect at least 3 - 4 hours Wish content.

Last edited:
In about 45 minutes Adam Hattan's series on the Disney Wish will start. Travel day and pre-day at Pop Century for today and a new day every Sunday at 17:00 BST.

It doesn't say if he travelled on the MV or if he was invited in the trailer or in the text under the video, but it is possible. Adam and Gary are usually very positive and just happy to be in a Disney park/on a Disney cruise again, but he can be critical from time to time. His videos are usually over an hour long. So we can expect at least 3 - 4 hours Wish content.

I feel like he mentioned that he was hosted, but now I can't find it.

I feel like he mentioned that he was hosted, but now I can't find it.
It wasn't mentioned in the first vlog, but his friend Gary just uploaded his haul video and he has some inaugural stuff, so going to assume it's hosted.
Adam was quite transparent about hosted/gifted items or elements in his videos.

It wasn't mentioned in the first vlog, but his friend Gary just uploaded his haul video and he has some inaugural stuff, so going to assume it's hosted.
Adam was quite transparent about hosted/gifted items or elements in his videos.

Considering the first video was just their plane trip and arrival to Pop, I'm guessing that was on their dime. If they were hosted on the ship, I would expect to see it mentioned on the second video being released this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter