Disney vs. Christianity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincesseSparkles

Earning My Ears
I am bummed, because VMK forced one of my room's names to be changed, because it was "too religious in nature." I had named my room name, "I <3 The King of Kings Theatre," before it got pulled. My concern is whether or not this goes against my right to the 1st Ammendment which is the, "Freedoms of religion, speech, press, petition, and assembly."

According to The Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

"Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance."

Has Disney decided to set itself as intolerant to Christian beliefs? (It's not like I was forcing my beliefs on anyone--I just had a room that I created and shared it with whoever wanted to come). I would like to know people's opinions on this subject. Thanks! :) princess:

its separation of Church and Mickey ears at work in the good old virtual magic kingdom

Publically, you have the rights you have described. But, you are in VMK which is a world created by Disney and they have the right to set the rules and parameters.

They have lots of rules that would not be tolerated in public - such as not giving out personal information, not talking about family, personal activities, not saying where you are from etc. These all 'go against' the 1st ammendment, however it is the best they can do to keep the players safe. If room names or religious signatures make people uncomfortable and others have complained about them, then VMK has the right to ask that they be removed.

Don't get too hung up on having to change your room name. After all, there have been many, many people who have had to change their character's name.

Anyway, I guess the point I was trying to make was it is VMK's perogative to choose what they will allow or not.

Since VMK is part of private company, they have the right to decide what is appropriate or not. VMK is not subject to rules of discrimnation since it is your choice to be on or not.

Also remember that not everyone on VMK is Christan. How would VMK know that you weren't trying to preach. Maybe they saw it as you trying to create a seperate group of Christians and Non-Christians which I'm sure there is something somewhere maybe even in Human Rights against discrimnation by religon.

I am a moderator on a card trading board. The company that runs it has me censor all types of posts. I say this to the membership: "As soon as you come onto this board [you can replace that with VMK for this purpose] you are on private property and the only rights you have are those imposed by the owner." The first amendment is for PUBLIC free speech and PUBLIC assembly. This has nothing to do with any private property - that includes my front yard, VMK, Dis boards, VMKforums, the board I help run, myspace or any blog or board you post to which you do not specifically OWN. The internet is open to the public but is not publicly owned.

Disneychick74 said:
I am a moderator on a card trading board. The company that runs it has me censor all types of posts. I say this to the membership: "As soon as you come onto this board [you can replace that with VMK for this purpose] you are on private property and the only rights you have are those imposed by the owner." The first amendment is for PUBLIC free speech and PUBLIC assembly. This has nothing to do with any private property - that includes my front yard, VMK, Dis boards, VMKforums, the board I help run, myspace or any blog or board you post to which you do not specifically OWN. The internet is open to the public but is not publicly owned.

Ditto..and with that nothing else needs to be said.-Mal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter