Disney Visa...worth it?

grannyminnie

DIS Veteran
Dis-ers...those of you who have and use the Disney Visa card...is it worth applying for? We use Amer. Express for the FF miles, but if it would benefit me more, I'd be open to having the Visa. Tell me how it's helped you, and what all it gets us Disney fanatics!!

It doesn't give you much I'm afraid.
But if you are someone who puts your groceries and gas onto a credit card every month then you would earn a lot of reward dollars. You can then have them sent to you for spending money on your next Disney trip.

We do put gas and groceries on the card, but I was thinking more about charging Disney trips, and things I purchase for myself...clothes, etc. From what you've said, there aren't enough "perks" to justify it.
Anyone else have an opinion?

The rate is high (15.19%), so this is not a card on which to carry a balance.

The points are only 1% of net purchases, sometimes they will run a special where you can get 2 or 3% on certain things (ie Disneyland Packages not WDW), but not often.

The only advantages I see is if there is a package released, Disney Visa holders get to book it a couple days earlier and if you book a package you can have 6 mos no interest on the package. But it can get kinda fuzzy if you have a balance already, I think you have to call Chase (card issuer) to have your payments applied to your existing balance first during the 6 mos.

The bonuses were typically better when I was using my Amex for FF miles, but it's getting harder and harder to actually use miles, particularly for the "standard award" (without a lot of work, anyway). Since I had quite a few miles, I've switched over been using the Disney Visa. The bonuses are certainly few and far between, but at least it's consistent and when we go to Disney next year, we will have some easy-to-use Disney Dollars.

We have found that while the awards are not terrific, they are very easy to use. Everytime I have ever tried to use FF miles the FF seats are gone, unless you call at exactly 11 months out!! The Disney rewards may be used for food, hotel and park tickets, just to name a few. We use our Disney Visa when ever we can and love it!

I wish the rewards are greater, but there are little perks:

the free 5x6 photo with a character at the parks
advanced notice and ticket purchase for shows coming to your town (ie. Broadway shows like Lion King)
Last year there as a special Disney Collector society piece that was only available to Visa card holders (not sure if they'll do that again).
And, like others have said, the Disney dollars you earn are easy to use.

Like you, I have a miles one visa that I put most of my heavy duty charging on, but have found they've changed the payout so it seems to take forever to earn airfare. I charge smaller things on the Disney Visa.

The best credit card out there is the Amex Blue Cash - Hands down! Receive CASH back of 2% to 2.5% annually, you can spend the money anyway you want. The rewards from the Disney Visa is only 1%.

I do carry the Disney Visa as well, but use only when merchants don't accept Amex and for the discounts at Disney.

Hope this helps.

The best credit card out there is the Amex Blue Cash - Hands down! Receive CASH back of 2% to 2.5% annually, you can spend the money anyway you want. The rewards from the Disney Visa is only 1%.

I do carry the Disney Visa as well, but use only when merchants don't accept Amex and for the discounts at Disney.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the interesting info, Tigger73. We need to check into that!

The Disney Visa also gives you 0% financing on any package at WDW for six months. That, combined with the rewards, makes it valuable to me. I use it for everything (except Costco!). You earn 1% which isn't much but does add up. On the Disney vacation alone, I got close to $50 back in rewards plus the 0% financing.

My DH and myself both got the Disney visa when they had the 50.00 Reward dollar bonus. The perks are poor and the rate of earnings is not great, but that 50.00 bonus and few Disney reward dollars here and there have been worth it. There is no fee to carry the card and we carry no balance....

When we bought a travel trailer a couple years ago, I arranged fiinancing through my credit union, but used my Disney Visa to actually make the purchase in order to get the points, then I paid off the Visa bill with the credit union loan.
Next month we're having a new roof put on the house and the money will come out of savings, but I'm putting the bill on my Disney Visa (again for the points) and then paying off the bill.
We rarely carry a balance, as the interest rate is higher than some other Visa cards, but I called and told them I was going to change credit cards due to their high interest rate, and they actually lowered the rate for a year.
We've used Disney points to pay for accommodations at the Disney resorts, purchases and shore excursions during our Disney cruise last January, and have another hundred or so points saved up for our trip in early December.
We did have a balance on our card when we booked our Disney cruise, but it was interest free for 6 months so we had plenty of time to pay it off.

I called a couple of weeks ago about my Disney Visa and I got my APR under 12%. They said to call back every 6 months to see if I can get it lower.

We use the Disney Visa for business expenses (easy to tally at tax time) and travel expenses. On our upcoming trip we have saved $125 which we will use for quick meals and snacks. I use an AMEX card as my main card too. I use the BlueSky card, which basically gives about 1.25% back toward ANY travel expenses. It's usually good for a free plane ticket or two, and no blackouts or restrictions! (But AMEX is not accepted everywhere...)

I got the Disney Visa almost 1 1/2 yrs. ago. The first year was 0% interest, but I always try to pay it off every month. I charge things like college tuition and car insurance, the big items that I already have the cash for so I can pay it off when I get the bill. Sometimes I charge gas. Around Christmas I still had 0% interest, again had the cash already to pay most of my purchases off and also earned double points for Nov. & Dec. So far I have about $250 in rewards to spend on my disney vacation in Sept. To me it's been very worth it. Now that I have begun to have interest charges, I limit my charges to only those bills that I know I can pay off and I try to pay the amount I intend to charge ahead of time, then don't get charged interest. Hope this makes sense. The only thing I don't like is that there is no grace period.
I don't fly enough to carry a card that gives FF miles.

I use the BLue Sky card from Amex too. I am new to the program what has your experience been with it? For charges I can't use AmEx I use the Disney Visa. Great minds think alike.

Blossombrd, what do you mean about no grace period. I pay off my balance each month and I don't pay any interest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter