Disney Visa Question

Petals & Pixie Dust

DIS Veteran
So, we are stocking up our Disney Visa Rewards Dollars for our 2011 cruise on the Wonder. DH asked me if we could use them for ANYTHING on the ship. Including excursions...Now, it was my understanding that with DVRD you just put them on your account at Guest Services and they use them like cash...
Is it still the same? Or do they have restrictions on what you can use them for?

TIA

I hope you don't mind if I piggy back a question onto your thread :goodvibes

I'm wondering when I should call and get my reward points put onto a gift card for our cruise (I don't remember what they call the card). We sail on 2/27/11 and I don't want to miss out on using our DV points.

Thank you!

You apply the rewards card to your account at Guest Services, and they cover any expenses that you have. We've had as few as $100, and as much as $700 from our Visa rewards. There have been some recommendations that you hold off applying your rewards card to your account until you are sure you have spent at least that much (we've never had this problem!) since some have reported problems getting unused rewards points redeposited onto their reward card.

As to when to transfer your rewards to a rewards card initially, we usually wait until about 2-3 months before we cruise. As long as the points are in your points account they don't expire, but once they are on a reward card they expire within a year (or whenever your reward card is set to expire.) We usually allow the 2 months in case there are any delays, but it usually comes within a few weeks. Then, right before our cruise, (or during our cruise when we've stopped at Key West), we call and have any additional points we've earned transferred to our rewards card electronically so we get as many as we can onto the card for the cruise. That transfer can happen automatically once you have a card.

Yes, you can pay off (or towards) your stateroom account with your Rewards card (as well as Disney gift cards too).

Kirbo, at least three weeks before your cruise (to be safe), call or go on line and order your rewards card. I think you have to apply at least 20 points at that time and it will be mailed to you. It has an expriation date, so I don't 'load' all my points to it till I'm about to cruise or travel to the parks. You can call or go on line at any time and transfer your points to the card. Then you use it, just like a regular charge card, to pay on your stateroom account, in whatever amount you desire.

If anyone is using gift cards, and you have a collection of them, don't give them all to guest services early in your cruise. As they can't 'refund' any unused portion of a gift card. Although, most of us have no trouble spending more than we planned on! ;)

You can use them for anything onboard! We always use our reward dollars on the ship. I generally go to guest services on day 2 or so, and apply the reward dollar card to our shipboard account. It goes toward anything yoou put on your stateroom account, including excursions, spa treatments, photos at Shutters, souvies, drinks, and if you have some left, even your gratuities.

The only thing you can't use them for, is stamps on Castaway Cay (cash only please) and any non-Disney charges incurred in ports.

You apply the rewards card to your account at Guest Services, and they cover any expenses that you have. We've had as few as $100, and as much as $700 from our Visa rewards. There have been some recommendations that you hold off applying your rewards card to your account until you are sure you have spent at least that much (we've never had this problem!) since some have reported problems getting unused rewards points redeposited onto their reward card.

We have this issue with leaving $ on our DVs...We just use them until they are gone...so that redepositing thing won't be an issue...On our first Disney Cruise we were told when you are at port...If you see it and you like it buy it b/c you won't be going back...:thumbsup2

You can use them for anything onboard! We always use our reward dollars on the ship. I generally go to guest services on day 2 or so, and apply the reward dollar card to our shipboard account. It goes toward anything yoou put on your stateroom account, including excursions, spa treatments, photos at Shutters, souvies, drinks, and if you have some left, even your gratuities.

Awesome! Thanks! :thumbsup2

You can also get your Rewards Cards right at the desk in the cruise terminal.

Once you check in, just go down to the desk at the end (far right) and make the request. They'll give you a blank Rewards Card and hand you the phone. You call Chase and have them transfer the points to the card.

This is a good way of ensuring the Rewards Card doesn't get lost in the mail, you don't forget it, and getting every possible last point you can onto the card before you cruise.

We did this last time when I forgot to order ahead (and panicked as I didn't want to lose $900 in points toward my on board account with a cruise just 2 weeks away) and it was wonderful.

I understand you can also do this at the parks at Guest Services.

As to when to transfer your rewards to a rewards card initially, we usually wait until about 2-3 months before we cruise. As long as the points are in your points account they don't expire, but once they are on a reward card they expire within a year (or whenever your reward card is set to expire.) We usually allow the 2 months in case there are any delays, but it usually comes within a few weeks. Then, right before our cruise, (or during our cruise when we've stopped at Key West), we call and have any additional points we've earned transferred to our rewards card electronically so we get as many as we can onto the card for the cruise. That transfer can happen automatically once you have a card.

Just to clarify, the points do expire 5 years from when they are earned. The expiration dates are listed on your statement or you can check the dates online.

Once a rewards card is issued it's usually good until Dec. of the following year. So if you were to order a card this month it would expire Dec. 2011. If you order a card Jan. 2011 then it would expire Dec. 2012.

No problem..the more answers the better!:thumbsup2
:thanks:

:thumbsup2

Yes, you can pay off (or towards) your stateroom account with your Rewards card (as well as Disney gift cards too).

Kirbo, at least three weeks before your cruise (to be safe), call or go on line and order your rewards card. I think you have to apply at least 20 points at that time and it will be mailed to you. It has an expriation date, so I don't 'load' all my points to it till I'm about to cruise or travel to the parks. You can call or go on line at any time and transfer your points to the card. Then you use it, just like a regular charge card, to pay on your stateroom account, in whatever amount you desire.

If anyone is using gift cards, and you have a collection of them, don't give them all to guest services early in your cruise. As they can't 'refund' any unused portion of a gift card. Although, most of us have no trouble spending more than we planned on! ;)

:thanks:

Once you check in, just go down to the desk at the end (far right) and make the request. They'll give you a blank Rewards Card and hand you the phone. You call Chase and have them transfer the points to the card.

This is a good way of ensuring the Rewards Card doesn't get lost in the mail, you don't forget it, and getting every possible last point you can onto the card before you cruise.

We did this last time when I forgot to order ahead (and panicked as I didn't want to lose $900 in points toward my on board account with a cruise just 2 weeks away) and it was wonderful.

:thumbsup2

I'll mark my calendar and order it six weeks ahead of time and then I'll check in with GS at the port to add every last one.

Thanks for letting me piggyback on this thread :goodvibes

This is a GREAT tip! Thanks!!!

You can also use the points to pay off your cruise fare. Except for our deposit from onboard booking, DH and I are cruising for "free" using our points :), and will have enough left to finance any on board purchases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!