Disney VHS movie goes into retirement

charmama4

DIS Veteran
OK, so my DD comes to me carrying the VHS movie case of Tarzan and looks at me with her big blue eyes and asks, "Mommy can we watch Tarzan?" "OF course, honey put it in the machine", I say (cringing) with the most loving voice. I say it also with fear because...well you have to understand we got the movie when it first came out on VHS and it is a well loved movie you see....back to the because... the soundtrack is on it's last leg and the music sounds like everything is out of tune or better yet it sounds like your son or daughter taking up the violin for the first time!!!:lmao:

This movie of ours is ready for Disney movie retirement and it's time to get a DVD!!! Just had to share this with you because I know you would understand the love we all have (parent or not) of Disney movies.

I guess I just have to add this to my shopping list for World of Disney;)

I have few VHS tapes left but can check to see if I have a DVD, if so you can have it. PM me and send me one hug, lol. I will go shovel through the garage.

Nearly all the classic films I own (Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Lion King, 101) are on VHS. The only one I actually have on DVD is Cinderella :). Only recently did I realize my VCR was actually destroying any tape put into it, so I'm also hoping to replace the old with new soon.

I have SO many Disney VHS's. I don't even own a VHS player anymore. I'm still trying to replace all my Disney VHS's with DVDs. It's hard to now that Disney puts them in the "vault".

Most of my disney movies are on VHS too! We still have our VCR but it's not hooked up because DH has too many video game systems (specifically, every nintendo system that was ever made) that are taking up all the spots to plug it into!

We unplugged our VHS, then finally moved it to the garage after a while. We have been replacing the Disney tapes with DVDs. And now we have to replace the DVDs with blu ray! :eek: I just can't keep up! So far all we have for blu ray is Nightmare Before Christmas. But we want to get Enchanted and also some of the Pixar movies. We borrowed Cars on blu ray from my parents and the detail is just amazing! So we are only picking the best of the best to buy on blu ray.

I started my VHS collection WAY before I ever had kids - uh, because I knew would have them one day - yeah, that's it!! Not like I was in my 20s sitting around watching "Little Mermaid" all day or anything.....:rolleyes1

Anyway, we've been slowly trying to replace them with DVDs as they come out. Our first "upgrade" was Toy Story because my oldest DS had watched it every day when he was little (sometimes several times a day!) and he literally wore it out. Since then we have purchased Sleeping Beauty, Pinnochio, Peter Pan, Alice In Wonderland (the VCR ate my tape!! :scared1:) and Mary Poppins. I hope to eventually replace them all, just in time for DVDs to become obsolete.....

I wanted to share this story because I thought it was hysterical when a song would come on and it was all hokey sounding and my DH and I would look at each other with that "oh gads!!!" look:eek:
I have few VHS tapes left but can check to see if I have a DVD, if so you can have it. PM me and send me one hug, lol. I will go shovel through the garage.
mechurchlady, you're incredibly sweet.

Nearly all the classic films I own (Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Lion King, 101) are on VHS. The only one I actually have on DVD is Cinderella :). Only recently did I realize my VCR was actually destroying any tape put into it, so I'm also hoping to replace the old with new soon.
Ya see, when a VHS tape needs to go into retirement it gives reason to get the DVD!!

I have SO many Disney VHS's. I don't even own a VHS player anymore. I'm still trying to replace all my Disney VHS's with DVDs. It's hard to now that Disney puts them in the "vault".
we are slowing doing this also and get excited when we hear that a movie is coming out of the vault.

I started my VHS collection WAY before I ever had kids - uh, because I knew would have them one day - yeah, that's it!! Not like I was in my 20s sitting around watching "Little Mermaid" all day or anything.....:rolleyes1

Anyway, we've been slowly trying to replace them with DVDs as they come out. Our first "upgrade" was Toy Story because my oldest DS had watched it every day when he was little (sometimes several times a day!) and he literally wore it out. Since then we have purchased Sleeping Beauty, Pinnochio, Peter Pan, Alice In Wonderland (the VCR ate my tape!! :scared1:) and Mary Poppins. I hope to eventually replace them all, just in time for DVDs to become obsolete.....

Ya know my first Disney movie I bought was Alladin (I was 19 or 20) and I DID watch it all the time:lmao: Still have the same VHS but at least the soundtrack doens't sound like it's sick:rotfl2:. I think it'll last until it comes out of the vault again.:thumbsup2

I have quite a few movies on VHS too! When DVD's started becoming the thign to do I went out and bought all the movies I own on VHS on DVD. Now we got Blu-ray!! EEKS!

Only Bluray I plan on doing are the Pixar movies and the Pirates trilogy. Yea right, I will end up getting the Disney ones on Bluray too

Never have owned any of the movies in VHS, but finally have them all on DVD. Since they started out, I'm now replacing them with the BluRay version when it comes out.

I really hope they don't throw another format at us anytime soon....

You kow they will! DVD will go obsolete and Bluray will be in and then when we are comfy they will release a new thing!

It kills me enough to pay 39 bucks for the BluRay/DVD/Digital copy combo's they're coming out with. I'm sure the next format will be in the 50 dollar range. :rotfl:

I miss the days of the 7.99 VHS prices. Ok, now I feel old.

It kills me enough to pay 39 bucks for the BluRay/DVD/Digital copy combo's they're coming out with. I'm sure the next format will be in the 50 dollar range. :rotfl:

Yeah, just wait. Blu-rays won't even drop down the 40 dollar range, when the studios come out and say, "Forget those Blu-rays! We have microchips now for $100 a piece!" :eek:

Sometimes, I just think we must be at the end of technology. I mean, after DVDs, how much more advanced could they get? But nope, they just keep coming.

If you still have (and use) a VCR, and you can't get the movie you want on DVD right now, try your local used bookstore. I've seen lots of Disney VHS movies in there, probably from people selling them as they upgrade to the DVD copy or toss the VCR.

It will still be low quality, but might help bridge the gap with that favorite movie on its last legs!

PHXscuba

We had a ton of VHS, after the fire we gave them to my oldest daughter. Most of them still work but they are also getting old....as they die on her she gets them on DVD but it's not a big rush for her. Her DD is only a few months old so they've got some time. :)

$7.99?!!! I remember those days, ah geez, NOW I feel old, ugh!!

Yeah, just wait. Blu-rays won't even drop down the 40 dollar range, when the studios come out and say, "Forget those Blu-rays! We have microchips now for $100 a piece!" :eek:

Sometimes, I just think we must be at the end of technology. I mean, after DVDs, how much more advanced could they get? But nope, they just keep coming.

Soon there will be a device where you can implant it in your eye and just think about the movie and you'll see it!!!!:rotfl2: jWait!....don't know if that's so funny, kind of scary actually:scared1:

We still have a ton of VHS (plenty DVDs too..I work part time at an 'entertainment superstore'..good deals!) and I frankly like VHS better..I think it holds up better. Anyway..I tend to buy extra VHS players so when they quit making them all together I'll be OK. My grandkids are watching the same VHS tapes my kids watched. I also tend to buy extras of the classics at yard sales for a quarter, 'just in case'.

My DH has picked up some amazing deals on DVD Disney movies at the Pawn shop. One of the people in his dept. at work does some sideline computer work for a pawn shop and they go there sometimes and when he sees a movie we *need*, he'll pick it up! :banana: I never would have thought to look at a pawn shop for DVD's!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter