Disney/universal trip

jkspanley

Earning My Ears
Planning on a family vacation including 2 adults and 2 teenagers to Disney in 2022. The kids want to spend a couple of days at universal during our 10 day/9 night trip. Do you recommend going to universal first or last? Will probably spend 2 days there and the rest at Disney. Do you also recommend staying on universal property those nights and then transferring over to Disney?

I would definitely stay in one of Universal’s deluxe resorts while there, so you can get Express Pass. We’ve gotten a room there several times even when actually staying elsewhere because the cost of the room for 4 of us was less than the cost of EP for all of us!

The issue of which to do first, WDW or UOR, is trickier. UOR has a lot more thrill rides, so older kids and teens may like it better than they like the Disney parks. So I would tend to recommend WDW first followed by UOR, but I don’t have any direct experience with teens to corroborate my opinion!

PS DISboards has a couple of forums that might be useful, if you haven’t found them already:
https://www.disboards.com/forums/universal-studios-islands-of-adventure-forums.30/https://www.disboards.com/forums/universal-orlando-resorts-hotels.75/

I would definitely stay in one of Universal’s deluxe resorts while there, so you can get Express Pass. We’ve gotten a room there several times even when actually staying elsewhere because the cost of the room for 4 of us was less than the cost of EP for all of us!

The issue of which to do first, WDW or UOR, is trickier. UOR has a lot more thrill rides, so older kids and teens may like it better than they like the Disney parks. So I would tend to recommend WDW first followed by UOR, but I don’t have any direct experience with teens to corroborate my opinion!

PS DISboards has a couple of forums that might be useful, if you haven’t found them already:
https://www.disboards.com/forums/universal-studios-islands-of-adventure-forums.30/https://www.disboards.com/forums/universal-orlando-resorts-hotels.75/
Thank you! I will look at those!

It's been a long time since we did a combo WDW/Universal trip, now we try to do them separately, but when we did do them, we always had SO much fun. We love both parks. I know it might be sticker shock, but I think it's worth staying onsite at one of the premier Universal hotels, we like ROyal Pacific, but have enjoyed Hard Rock too. That way, you'll have head of the line passes, and will be so extra great if you've never been.
No idea which is better , but probable do Universal last, but that would depend on a few things, where you stay, do you get to do a park on departure day, etc.
And maybe the transition day, make that a rest day, or just a pool day at Universal or something, so you can rest up before the next adventure!
Have fun planning!!!! THere's so much great info here on the boards on the various resorts, parks, etc.

If you stay at a deluxe UOR hotel, you get ‘free’ express passes for your check in and check out day. In order to make full use of them, we sometimes stay at UOR mid trip and just keep our WDW room, to save packing up etc. We Uber/Lyft to HRH for about 7 am, pick up the room key/express pass and then go straight to the parks.

Planning on a family vacation including 2 adults and 2 teenagers to Disney in 2022. The kids want to spend a couple of days at universal during our 10 day/9 night trip. Do you recommend going to universal first or last? Will probably spend 2 days there and the rest at Disney. Do you also recommend staying on universal property those nights and then transferring over to Disney?
If it were me I would do Disney > Universal > Disney

I think you only need 2 days at Universal tops (if you've never been there but even 1 day might suffice if you have express pass. (which you get if you stay at Portofino/Hard Rock/Polynesian.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't do Universal last.

My vote would be US last.
Especially if you choose deluxe hotels with express passes included. proximity of everything and express passes will spoil you and going back to long lines at WDW will be hard. Midday (pool) breaks are literally 10min away.
Universal will have less to offer, but will just be so much easier in every way.

If you choose a Premier hotel at Universal, definitely do Universal last. Otherwise Disney will be a letdown, unless you just end up hating Universal. Imagine Disney with fast passes to every ride, every time, all day.
Our next trip to Universal will be our first staying Premier. But, I've heard that they are nicer AND cheaper than a Disney Deluxe.

We are looking at staying at OKW for our whole trip because DH doesn't want to switch hotels. We are going to take an Uber to Universal for the days we visit the park. I hope it works out okay. We just can't justify the 450/500 a night cost for a deluxe at Universal to get FP for a full week.

We are looking at staying at OKW for our whole trip because DH doesn't want to switch hotels. We are going to take an Uber to Universal for the days we visit the park. I hope it works out okay. We just can't justify the 450/500 a night cost for a deluxe at Universal to get FP for a full week.
Have you compared the cost of Express Pass at UOR with the cost of the deluxe hotel at UOR? Twice we have found that it was cheaper to pay for the hotel room for one night, even though we didn’t sleep there, than to pay for the EPs we wanted. Since the cost of EPs varies by date, YMMV, but it’s worth a look. On one trip, with EP on day of checkin and day of checkout (and 2-day park to park tickets) we were able to do everything we wanted at UOR those two days. On another trip we spent three days at UOR but only had the UOR hotel for one night because the cost for the additional hotel night was higher than the cost of the third day’s EPs. We booked the hotel to cover the two days that the EPs were more expensive, and the third day the EP cost less so it was more cost-effective not to have the hotel that night. In other words, do the math!

Have you compared the cost of Express Pass at UOR with the cost of the deluxe hotel at UOR? Twice we have found that it was cheaper to pay for the hotel room for one night, even though we didn’t sleep there, than to pay for the EPs we wanted. Since the cost of EPs varies by date, YMMV, but it’s worth a look. On one trip, with EP on day of checkin and day of checkout (and 2-day park to park tickets) we were able to do everything we wanted at UOR those two days. On another trip we spent three days at UOR but only had the UOR hotel for one night because the cost for the additional hotel night was higher than the cost of the third day’s EPs. We booked the hotel to cover the two days that the EPs were more expensive, and the third day the EP cost less so it was more cost-effective not to have the hotel that night. In other words, do the math!
Ugh, math ;) Thanks though!

Ugh, math ;) Thanks though!
Well, I got to thinking - we had 3-4 adults vs. adults + children, which makes a difference in hotel cost, and we had a car, so 1 night in hotel covered 2 days of parking. Those factors might make the hotel cost less favorable for you - I’m sorry it means more math! :eek:

Your vacations sound like ours. We usually stay 9 or 10 days with a Universal trip included. We start out at Disney for the first 4 days to get our fill of all 4 parks. Then we go to Universal for an overnight stay at a deluxe resort, so that EP's are included. Also the boat transportation is great, as are the rooms and overall amenities. We were wowed at the customer service and friendly helpful staff at our resort. You get 2 days tickets to use from start of day to close, even with a one night stay. Then it's back to disney to finish up at our favorite parks.
Now, with all the changes at disney,, we will probably make Universal our home and just go to our favorite parks from there for a day or two.

For a family of 4, definitely stay at one of Universal's deluxe hotels to get Express Pass Unlimited. You also get walking access to CityWalk and boat transportation to the parks.

I would probably do Universal first, especially if it's new. That way you can take a rest day at Disney without the pressure to go on everything for the first time.

I also vote for US last - it is a different vibe from Disney, and maybe a nice break after WDW. It would also mean not having to move twice (or pay double nights for hotel). I also highly recommend staying onsite at US. The Loews hotels are fabulous, and being onsite is really relaxing. Not having to plan out every move all day long is really nice after Disney, where you must be so strategic.

As far as the onsite hotels, as others have noted, the fast passes come free with the deluxe hotels, which is very nice. However, if price is an issue I would do Sapphire Falls if it is available (I believe it is currently closed) - it's a wonderful hotel and the proximity is great. If need be you can do single rider if it is available, which is nearly as fast (and sometimes faster) than fast pass.

Of the Deluxe hotels, here is my ranking:
1. Hard Rock Hotel - closest for the 3 to the parks, and not as spread out.
2. Royal Pacific - relatively close, great theming
3. Portofino Bay - Furthest from the park entrances, and very spread out. However, food and coffee options are good there.

We pretty much stay at whichever deluxe hotel is cheapest during the time period when we are looking to go, but all things being equal we will choose Hard Rock.

Hope you have a great trip!

We are doing this in a few weeks and decided to do Universal last. I’m just too excited to get to Disney that I think I won’t enjoy Universal if we go there first!

One night in one of the resorts = 2 days of express. You could check out on day 2, enjoy the parks, and then head to Disney. (that's what we do)

Agreed with pretty much everyone else here - do Universal at the end of your trip. I find it much more relaxing. And the express passes are an amazing perk. If you can spare two nights to get 3 days, that is a very relaxed pace with plenty of pool time to enjoy.

My Top Ten Tips:

1. I'm with those suggesting you stay at a Universal Resort that gives you Express Passes. We loved the Royal Pacific. You can get the passes the day you check in & check out so you could visit for three days with only 2 nights at the U. hotel. Given the length of your trip, I'd spend your last three nights at Universal.

2. The Unofficial Guide to Universal Orlando suggests going to Universal after Disney if you have teens, because they'll probably like it more & Disney might be a little bit of a letdown if you visit Universal first.

3. Each of you should plan what you want to do most before you go and all of you should realize that any attraction might be closed when you visit, and you will NOT do everything.

4. The most fun we had at WDW during our last visit was renting the little speed boats on Bay Lake.

5. Bring snacks into the Disney parks to save money & be healthier. You can have groceries delivered to your Disney hotel.

6. Spend a couple of hours apart each day so you don't drive each other nuts. (People who travel with me would probably have made this the first tip. o_O)

7. Check out the Disney menus before you go, especially for their prices. (AllEars.net has the menus.)

8. A Disney expert, AJ at Disney Food Blog) said that "The only thing consistent about Disney World restaurants is their inconsistency." Her favorite restaurant is Yak & Yeti, which has an amazing menu, but was the most disappointing & overpriced meal on our last trip.

9. Take the time to take in live musicians. An African band in the Animal Kingdom with that park's excellent theming made the trip worth it.

10. Take the time to explore either the Animal Kingdom Lodge (eat at Sanaa--now open!) and/or The Wilderness Lodge resorts. Theming at Disney's best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter