Disney to start charging for bags

I think in the near future many stores will start using the Amazon system. There is no checkout at their stores in Seattle. You just walk in and pick up whatever you want. There is no checkout. They can figure out what is in your cart when you are walking out the door.

Not to totally derail this thread but automation is an area I am very interested in and the cost to set up the Amazon style stores is really prohibited with the number of cameras required. Even Amazon has said these will most likely be used more at smaller grab and go places where near-by corporate workers, who will pay $15 for a sandwich and a piece of fruit, will keep margins high enough to support the infrastructure. (And to answe the fruit question they either prepackaged in marked weights or they do what a lot of stores are moving to and that’s price per item so $2 per pepper/potatoe/onion/banana and then count the number you grab.)

The direction grocers are really hoping things go is online ordering where employees pick the groceries from warehouse shelves and then you have a pick up service or pay for delivering with Instacart/Uber OR autonomous delivery vehicles. Since these vehicles won’t hold passengers the belief is they will be online in communities in a much faster timeline and because most people shop within 2 miles of their grocery store (urban/heavy suburban) the drive range will be pretty compact and limits the need for extensive coverage. This allows stores to forgo the expensive “customer experience” costs that are often higher than food costs (things like wide aisles, attractive branding, high level lighting, etc).

I bought a BAGGU reusable shopping bag years ago and I always carry it in my purse and it is always with me when we travel. It is an awesome size and very deep. You always pick stuff up- souvineers, snacks, etc and need somewhere to put it, plus I'd rather have everything in one bag versus multiple shopping bags. I got used to this in California when we had to pay for bags every time, if you didn't bring your own.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H6CBVZ5/ref=twister_B07CQJQNSF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The direction grocers are really hoping things go is online ordering where employees pick the groceries from warehouse shelves and then you have a pick up service or pay for delivering with Instacart/Uber OR autonomous delivery vehicles.

That is happening too. I often notice that half of the people shopping at our local Whole Foods are gathering items for delivery. People will increasingly demand that the groceries are brought to them. Many young people around here don't even have cars so it makes the delivery option very desirable. Plus with the high cost of parking, the city proposing to toll streets, ballooning taxes to drive I think the number of people driving to the grocery store is going to plummet.

Plus with the high cost of parking, the city proposing to toll streets, ballooning taxes to drive I think the number of people driving to the grocery store is going to plummet.

Well, no, the people driving to the store just won't be the people eating what's purchased.

The direction grocers are really hoping things go is online ordering where employees pick the groceries from warehouse shelves and then you have a pick up service or pay for delivering with Instacart/Uber OR autonomous delivery vehicles. Since these vehicles won’t hold passengers the belief is they will be online in communities in a much faster timeline and because most people shop within 2 miles of their grocery store (urban/heavy suburban) the drive range will be pretty compact and limits the need for extensive coverage. This allows stores to forgo the expensive “customer experience” costs that are often higher than food costs (things like wide aisles, attractive branding, high level lighting, etc).
I've noticed the online ordering phenomenon at our local grocery stores (Smith's and Albertsons) with employees picking and bagging for pick-up in the parking lot. Autonomous vehicles might be a practical idea for city/urban areas, but I live in the sticks and the vehicles can't drive on our streets because most have either no painted lines or just a center line. The vehicles need 2 lines to determine the middle of the lane. Oh well, I'll just saddle up and pick up my bags in the parking lot like everyone else. Mickey: Just give me a reusable bag for my Gold CC.

I will never want or demand that groceries be delivered to me. I want to shop for myself. I especially don't want them picking out my produce and meat. I have not used home delivery or pick up service and don't see me changing in the near future.

I haven't used it either. It is just strange though walking into the store these days and being outnumbered by the Amazon Prime Shoppers. I don't know how it works. Maybe you get to grade them on the quality of the produce and or meat they deliver? I am just dreading when the subway station opens and makes traffic even worse. As it is now Whole Food has to hire Seattle police to direct traffic into/out of the parking structure to prevent gridlock during busy periods. At Thanksgiving traffic was backed up for 5 blocks in every direction. You can walk to the store faster than it takes to drive.

I read the title and thought they were going to start charging for checked bags!!!! Whew....I can bring my own reusable bags...I have a few DCL ones I bought onboard in November.

MJ

These were the free bags we had in the room on Celebrity, we were first time Celebrity cruisers. DCL including something like this in the room wouldn’t hurt the bottom line too much, especially when I remember what we paid in 2016;)

50CB4ECE-EBA1-4C01-BB8C-128300D06399.jpeg

It's not about cost, it's about environmental impact. These bags aren't recyclable and end up in landfills, blowing around on the ground, or floating in your water supply. This is part of the initiative that got rid of plastic straws. It's a good thing, though I know most people don't care about anything except their inconveniences. In reality, such small changes won't be noticed and a few years from now people will wonder why it wasn't done sooner.

Notice that disney isn't cutting down on all the plastic stuff they are selling in their stores.

DCL Update: Plastic Bags

Effective today, March 1, 2019, plastic shopping bags will be eliminated onboard the ships and at Disney Castaway Cay.
Reusable shopping bags will be available in three sizes (small, medium and large) and can be purchased for $1.
Guests who wish to bring their own bags or hand carry their own items may do so.

Please note, select luxury brands will offer paper bags for their high-end products.

Guests who use Package Pickup for items purchased on Castaway Cay will be asked to purchase a reusable bag so their items can be delivered to their stateroom.

The elimination of plastic shopping bags and the sale of the reusable shopping bags will be as follows:
Disney Dream – March 1, 2019
Disney Fantasy – March 2, 2019
Disney Magic – March 2, 2019
Disney Castaway Cay – March 3, 2019
Disney Wonder – March 10, 2019
Sorry but themis disgusts me. Then also switch to paper. Has nothing to do with being Green. Saw a report were even reusable bags have a negative impact. Had to Laugh where it states that luxury brands will then use paper bags. Sorry but me paying seven grand for a 4 night cruise is kind of putting us in that luxury segment and DCL need to stop being cheap and just switch to paper.

Disney is still giving out plastic bags at the checkout, but they are making you pay a dollar for them. I have one I purchased from the Disney store in my local mall. It is a synthetic bag and much larger than the bag I actually needed. It is barely multi-use, because it is thin and crappy. Believe me I will not fall for this again. I will just order stuff from disney online and get free packaging. Pretty scary that Disney has convinced so many people that they are helping the environment by purchasing a bag instead of receiving one, or by juggling overpriced plastic items purchased in the store in your own hands. All of this feel good virtue signaling is so 2018 if you ask me.

On a side note, the anti-plastic campaign has got to stop. Someone needs to defend plastic. People are so jaded nowadays that they forget what a marvel plastic is. Without it, we wouldn't have catheters or heart stents, fire retardent materials or cars or tennis shoes or legos-- to name just a few. And the idea that plastic doesn't biodegrade is also a canard. Anyone who has left a plastic toy in the backyard for a couple of years can see this with their own eyes. I really doubt the "research" put forward on this topic. I am not saying we should not care about the environment, but people need to think more critically instead of just accepting what they are told my self-interested non nonprofits and corporations.

I will never want or demand that groceries be delivered to me. I want to shop for myself. I especially don't want them picking out my produce and meat. I have not used home delivery or pick up service and don't see me changing in the near future.

My mother said the same thing but then she needed a small surgery and had some mobility issues. Grocery delivery was a godsend for her to still maintain her independence. Now she’s a full blown convert and has convinced half her church circle and quilting clubs (mostly 60s and 70s) to try it. She’s always sending me messages about her referral bonuses. This is such a game changer for disabled and aging people.

I do not think that Disney is having you pay $1 for a bag in hopes that they will turn a profit. I think it is an initiative about being mindful about how many single-use plastic items you/we all use, which is also a trend being seen in many grocery store/retail stores. I moved from CA where we had to pay $0.05 for every single use bag we needed at the store, so you learned quickly to carry reusable bags. Throw a reusable bag in your suitcase/day bag and call it good. It's really not a huge deal.

I guess I just really don't understand the hassle with this one. If you are buying something on the ship, just run it back to your room. If you are buying it at Castaway Cay, I strongly suspect you brought a bag already off the ship. I just cannot get too worked up about this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter