Disney Stops Issuing Stock Certificates in Blow to Fans

Did that including an engraved plaque too? I'm looking into getting one also.

Yes it included the engraving.

I wouldn't mind even getting a copy of a certificate (non negotiable) as long as it looked like the actual certificate. Even if it says non neg on it I'd be ok. It still conveys ownership. However, it should then be substantially cheaper as its a copy of an electronic stock for me to consider buying it. I'm not paying 164$ for a copy or "certificate of ownership" unless it looks exactly like the actual stock with the images. Just my thoughts.

I have a feeling that Disney will maybe say no certificates will be issued unless bought directly from us. They make no money really off of the sites mentioned here. Those sites simply buy the stock from them then profit from it. Disney probably said, we get that people like this idea but there is nothing in it for us. To them, they are selling the stock either way. I could be wrong but it seems like a way for them to make the money on it instead of actually spending to print certificates then getting nothing out of these sites selling them to us. Granted, I could be wrong. Just seems odd that it is the most collected stock certificate and they abruptly end it when they could find a way to profit on it themselves.

I ordered some for my kids for Christmas about a week ago.

I got an email last night informing me of the change, and it looks as though my kids will still get their certificates. But, since they need to be printed and sent before October 16, I'll need to watch the mail for them to protect the surprise.

For what it's worth, if you go through http://www.giveashare.com/ , you don't have to pay for a frame. I figured I'll get each kid a binder, and let them select a share (within reason) for each birthday and Christmas.

I just purchased two from oneshare.com. They were $151 each with frames and plaques and all.

I compared Disneystock.com, which sells just the certificate without all the framing, but the savings was not significant ($79 total), and I'd have to get them framed anyway. The transfer fee was $10 higher at Disneystock than at oneshare.

I did have a discount from mousesavers.

I've wanted to do this for my DD since she was born but have always procrastinated....until tonight.

Just ordered one for her with a frame, personalized plaque and shipping to Canada. It was $190.59US in total. The shipping was a silly $39.00 since it's coming to Canada and we always pay a fortune but at least we'll have it.

This will be fun when she's older and can appreciate it more.

Disneystock.com now says this:

Please note..although as of October 16th 2013 Disney will no longer issue physical stock certificates..all orders placed today October 11th will receive a High Quality Colorful Replica Certificate and 1-share book entry Disney account. We are currently not able to guarantee the physical certificate.

The message on giveashare.com has updated to the following:

"Urgent news! We just talked to Disney's transfer agent and we are very confident that if you place your order today, we will be able to get you the authentic stock certificate before the cut-off. Although we cannot guarantee it, the chances are very good. If we cannot get the authentic certificate, you will be given the option to cancel and get a full refund."

That sounds pretty hopeful. I really hope they can pull this off.

Thank you! I'll update here when I know, if anyone is interested

I am definitely interested!!! I have been procrastinating because I was not sure how it would work if you wanted more than one share- but only one certificate. Now I guess I better get on it. If you are already a stockholder - I am hoping that they can just give you at least one real certificate.

And, keep in mind:

Even if you get copy certificate, it's still an incredibly cool gift-- they're still stockholders in Disney!!! It may just require more creative packaging.

I just purchased 1 from OneShare. I paid $143.38 after a $15 discount. That's with frame and plaque. I called their customer service and was told that it's a 50/50 chance of receiving a real stock certificate or the new non-negotiable one. They said they will issue emails later next week to confirm if you are going to get the real one or not. If you are not going to receive the real one then they will allow you to get a full refund.

Good, I just ordered it today (I paid $160-ish, how'd you get yours so low?!) I almost forgot to order. If we don't get a real one then I will request a refund.

How can I turn some of my shares into Certificate form before this?!? Any suggestions? I logged onto the new broadridge site and cate find any place or form to get book shares turned into certificates!

I finally got through to Broadbridge. If you want to get your paper certificate and already have stock - you need to overnight a letter with your account #, name and address and clearly state that you want X amount of paper stock certificates sent. They told me the request needs to be in writing and you cannot just request it over the phone.

Here is their overnight address (different from their standard one)

Disney Investor Relations
c/o Broadridge Corporate Issuer Solutions
1155 Long Island Avenue
Edgewood, NY 11717

If you go to the post office right away, you can overnight for about 20.00. UPS was around 30. My receipt says it is guaranteed to get there by 3:00PM tomorrow (10/16). Oh yes, and we sent multiple requests in one overnight envelope!

For those who do not have any stock -you can open an account with 250.00 minimum and overnight to the same address. Here is the form for new participants. They will deduct a 10 dollar and 5 dollar fee from your initial investment as fees. $10 for your enrollment fee and $5 for your investment fee. I forgot to ask if the initial investment needs to be $250 after they take out the $15 in fees though.

https://stockplans.broadridge.com/Content/plandocs/DisneyDSPPEnrollmentForm.pdf

Hope this helps!

If you already have non-paper stocks, can you get a replica certificate for one of them or would you need to purchase another share and request a non-negotiable certificate at that time? I think it would be nice to have and I don't have to worry about losing any value if it gets damaged or lost...

If you already have non-paper stocks, can you get a replica certificate for one of them or would you need to purchase another share and request a non-negotiable certificate at that time? I think it would be nice to have and I don't have to worry about losing any value if it gets damaged or lost...

Yes! I asked that as well. Much safer and less to have to keep up with!!! I have a feeling that is the one we will probably hang on the wall.

They don't really have the details on that yet - but as of right now they said you can just call and request the non stock - paper certificate for an existing share. I asked her if it looked just like the stock paper certificate and she said she thought so, but was not sure.

She did not really seem to know much about the non stock certificate paper.

Edited to Add: That is if you have the non paper stocks through the Walt Disney Investment Plan. If you own them through a broker - you would either need to buy one or have an existing one transferred to your name. If you buy through a broker, the stock is typically in the broker's name.

I'm heartbroken. I've always meant to do this for DD, but was going to wait until she was a little older. I was going to order it for Christmas this year (or her birthday after that if it didn't get here in time for Christmas)- I've always wanted one and never got one, so I was going to get one for myself as well. I've been at WDW, and didn't find out they were discontinuing them until we got back this week. I have absolutely ZERO interest in the replica or a certificate of acquisition. There was nowhere that I could get one at the last minute- every place had so many orders that most advised they weren't even going to be able to fill all the orders they already had.

For anyone who used giveashare.com to order, they've posted the following update:

"If you ordered Disney before the cutoff at 4:20pm PST on 10/15 - check your order status. If you have a date in the Certificate Registration Started
field, your order made it in the registration documents that are submitted to Disney's transfer agent so you are in great shape!"

And on the order status page:

"Disney - we will be working late Tues 10/15 & Weds 10/16 (the deadline) to make sure we get all complete and validated orders in before the cut-off. If you have a date here, you're 99.9% there because Disney and its transfer agent have stated they will honor any proper registration requests submitted by the deadline. Our little .1% hedge is there until we see the actual certificate."

:yay:

For anyone who used giveashare.com to order, they've posted the following update:

"If you ordered Disney before the cutoff at 4:20pm PST on 10/15 - check your order status. If you have a date in the Certificate Registration Started
field, your order made it in the registration documents that are submitted to Disney's transfer agent so you are in great shape!"

And on the order status page:

"Disney - we will be working late Tues 10/15 & Weds 10/16 (the deadline) to make sure we get all complete and validated orders in before the cut-off. If you have a date here, you're 99.9% there because Disney and its transfer agent have stated they will honor any proper registration requests submitted by the deadline. Our little .1% hedge is there until we see the actual certificate."

:yay:

I got one in the last hour they were available

This is the email I received on 10/17/2013 at 6:14PM
I paid $168.95 for certificate with frame and engraving. I used the code
from mousesavers for a $10 discount too.
I ordered mine on 10/10/13.
Michele

Hello from OneShare!

Congratulations! Your order has been submitted to Disney and is currently being processed! We are now waiting for Disney to deliver your authentic stock certificate so that we can send it along to your destination. Due to the high volume of orders please allow up to 12 weeks for delivery. Orders will be completed as they were received. We will be sure to keep you updated via email as your order progresses. We apologize for any inconvenience this slight delay may cause you and appreciate your patience. If you have further questions, feel free to contact us by email at cservice@oneshare.com or call us at 888-777-6919 M-F 9-5 PST.

Best Regards,

Customer Service Department
The Gift of Equity

This is the email I received on 10/17/2013 at 6:14PM
I paid $168.95 for certificate with frame and engraving. I used the code
from mousesavers for a $10 discount too.
Michele

Hello from OneShare!

Congratulations! Your order has been submitted to Disney and is currently being processed! We are now waiting for Disney to deliver your authentic stock certificate so that we can send it along to your destination. Due to the high volume of orders please allow up to 12 weeks for delivery. Orders will be completed as they were received. We will be sure to keep you updated via email as your order progresses. We apologize for any inconvenience this slight delay may cause you and appreciate your patience. If you have further questions, feel free to contact us by email at cservice@oneshare.com or call us at 888-777-6919 M-F 9-5 PST.

Best Regards,

Customer Service Department
The Gift of Equity

I wish iKnew of the discount I ordered one in the cheaper frame for 140 with shipping with 45 minutes to spare. I was rushing no time to research.

I arrived home today to find an envelope with the certificate for the shares I bought through Disney's Direct Investment Program on 10/10.

I had a dreadful day and it was an unexpected delight to come home to find proof that I own an (extraordinarily tiny) piece of the magic. I already had shares through my brokerage account but I've always thought of those as just an investment. These feel "real" and I'm so grateful to OP.

Hopefully the certificates for those who ordered through giveashare and oneshare will arrive soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter