Disney springs with an ECV

The Parkhoppers

Earning My Ears
Maybe my search skills are lacking , but I can’t seem to find any discussion about using ECVs at Disney Springs. My main concern is stores and restaurants. At the parks, we don’t worry about leaving it outside an attraction, but at Disney Springs I’m less sure.
For background, my wife has difficulty walking long distances, but short stints with a cane are no problem. What would be your suggestion for what to do if visiting a place like Jock Lindsey’s. Leave it outside? Bring it in ( not our preference)? Something I’m not thinking about?

Jason

Maybe my search skills are lacking , but I can’t seem to find any discussion about using ECVs at Disney Springs. My main concern is stores and restaurants. At the parks, we don’t worry about leaving it outside an attraction, but at Disney Springs I’m less sure.
For background, my wife has difficulty walking long distances, but short stints with a cane are no problem. What would be your suggestion for what to do if visiting a place like Jock Lindsey’s. Leave it outside? Bring it in ( not our preference)? Something I’m not thinking about?

Jason

Generally speaking, at Disney Springs dining venues, I ask the greeter CM at the door where they *prefer* I park my ECV. Having said that, on my last 2 trips (prior to the pandemic) I was rarely transferring from my ECV, and because I have a unique "feature" that allows me to drop the handlebars and roll under a standard height desk or table, I do not have to leave my ECV to dine; like most wheelchair users, I can roll up to the table with no problem.

At DS, when I did leave my personal mobility device outside a restaurant or dining venue (or Wine Bar George, which is my personal favorite) I would always always always take all of my personal items off the ECV and bring them with me. Additionally, you would want to take any key that disables the use of the scooter. Otherwise, I don't worry about it too much - although it is open to the public for free, we just don't hear about folks having a problem down at DS with scooters.

Oh - and shops? Just stay on, and ride through. All of the shops will have an accessible pathway through; there may be a bit of precision driving required here and there, but overall it's quite do-able. Just remember not to rent an ECV with a basket on the back (or too large a basket on the front) as those create unwanted *length*. The most nimble ECVs (in general and at WDW as a whole) will be a 3-wheeler with no basket on the front *or* rear.

I used my rental ECV at Disney Springs in May. I parked it outside Wine Bar George when I had lunch, but took the key. I was able to stay on through the stores just fine. I had a standard 3 wheel with a small basket in front and no rear basket.

I did go on a weekday so there were fewer crowds.

This is one area where COVID has actually been quite helpful, most stores and restaurants have had to make adjustments to allow for room for social distancing, DH and I have found that it has had a knock-on effect that stores and restaurants are fare more accessible than they used to be. Some have started moving things back, but at the same time when they have, it seems that more have become aware of the need to keep things accessible.

The one place I have had an issue where I needed to leave the ECV outside was Erin McKenna's Bakery, simply due to how small it is. It is possible, but difficult to bring an ECV in there, but virtually everywhere else was fine. Most restaurants allowed us to take them to the table and they would park them, bring us back the key and when we were done with the meal, get the key from us and bring the ECV back.

NOTE: This applies to both a Maxima and a Victory 10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter