Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I disagree, but, like I said, I could be wrong. I just think everything about this screams *BAD IDEA*.
I don't think Disney would build a transportation system that didn't work. Its not like an uncharge event that they can try and then cancel if it doesn't work or something. These systems are in various places around the globe.

I don't think Disney would build a transportation system that didn't work. Its not like an uncharge event that they can try and then cancel if it doesn't work or something. These systems are in various places around the globe.

I think Disney does a lot of things that don't work, but that's a saga for another thread. I will wait and see, but I'm skeptical. I think they may have been better served digging canals and making it so you can ferry everywhere on property, considering its all swamp land, but that's just me.

I am very excited to see how this new transportation works after having left HS post Fantasmic and Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular this past week.

I was staying in a MK resort and called a Minnie Van because I would have easily had to wait for 3 busses. I may have to switch up resort locations!

I think Disney does a lot of things that don't work, but that's a saga for another thread. I will wait and see, but I'm skeptical. I think they may have been better served digging canals and making it so you can ferry everywhere on property, considering its all swamp land, but that's just me.
Except thats only a lot more expensive.

I disagree, but, like I said, I could be wrong. I just think everything about this screams *BAD IDEA*.

These are not open gondola cable cars. These are enclosed, and systems like the one Disney is using have been used all over the world as a form of mass transit (even in tropical areas, like Hong Kong). The company Disney has contracted with is one of the leader in the world in building cable car gondola systems. Disney knows exactly what they are doing, and these are a pretty safe bet.

It's been discussed before. The Gondola's can be equipped to run during thunderstorms. However, it's more of a guest service issue. They can run, but the very real fear felt by folks as the storms come through may make it less than pleasant.
So they can run. They can run safely. However it might be unpleasant to some.
At this time it is a supplement to travel around WDW; it's not replacing anything. So even if it ran 50% of the time it's a net transportation improvement. Of course if/when proven to be a reliable transport, no doubt they'll try to reduce buses if it makes sense.
As to noise, I worked under these for about 18 years. There is noise where the electric motor is housed, and it's pretty minimal. The towers can generate noise if the bogey wheels are not adjusted well, but that is also minimal. If they have a diesel back up motor, those can be loud if brought into service, but that is only for emergencies to the clear the line.

Honestly I don't think I really care either way about these. I think these will work well and do their job, and it will be nice to cut down on some travel time (theoretically), but I just can't get myself hyped and super excited about something that is doing nothing more than taking me to a park (especially when you factor in how much more the rooms are going to cost because of it). I see them as a nice addition, but nothing too jaw dropping.

Honestly I don't think I really care either way about these. I think these will work well and do their job, and it will be nice to cut down on some travel time (theoretically), but I just can't get myself hyped and super excited about something that is doing nothing more than taking me to a park (especially when you factor in how much more the rooms are going to cost because of it). I see them as a nice addition, but nothing too jaw dropping.
Based on where we have normally stayed when we go, I don't know if we would get a lot of use out of them.

But, I'm very interested in the concept of not having to wait in a line, or wait for a bus to arrive. So, if these are a success, they could add them to places that would make them more useful to us. Although, there's at least one member of our usual group that is not a fan of heights, so who knows when we'll get to ride one...

I also associate the idea of transportation and new ways of it and increasing efficiency of it, etc. with Disney - be it the monorails or people movers, vision of the real EPCOT, etc. .... so anything that is about new types of transportation on property I am excited about. No idea how often we would use this and agree it sucks that it will result in the price of rooms on these lines being increased a lot, but I am excited for the concept and seeing it become a reality

I'm very interested in the concept of not having to wait in a line, or wait for a bus to arrive
Not having to wait would be a great thing. But I'm betting there will still be lines waiting for the next car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter