Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

FWIW (probably not much) the gondolas were not running Monday afternoon when the thunderstorm was happening. There were none on the line from Riveria to the Boardwalk turn.
Over the past week, it seemed that the Skyliner was basically not running most of the time. I was staying at Pop and I only saw them running once or twice during the day. Even when the weather was sunny, they weren't running. But when they were running, it was really cool to look at.

Over the past week, it seemed that the Skyliner was basically not running most of the time. I was staying at Pop and I only saw them running once or twice during the day. Even when the weather was sunny, they weren't running. But when they were running, it was really cool to look at.
The Skyliner has been running, for CM and testing, for weeks. Testing might be over. Not sure how much more work is needed at the stations and/or training CMs.

They were running it from CB to HS yesterday. Haven’t seen them running by Epcot, we can see from our room at BWI.

How could they do a soft opening of a transportation system without telling people about it? It doesn't make sense. How would people know that they could ride it?
There was some talk earlier about them opening the Hollywood Studios loop and AoA/Pop loop first. So if they wanted to soft open it, they could put a sign at the Hollywood Studios station, thereby enabling people heading back to their resort to use it. They could also put signs at the stations at those two resorts as well; some people are bound to walk by the sign going to or from breakfast. The fact that only a few people would know about the soft opening initially is actually a good thing: It means that it won't be inundated with guests and can open softly.

Once word is out I don't think it will take long for the gondola's to be filled!
Yes. The minute it happens, it'll be all over the Internet, and although that won't get the news to every guest, it'll get the news to enough guests to be (again) a soft opening.

There was some talk earlier about them opening the Hollywood Studios loop and AoA/Pop loop first. So if they wanted to soft open it, they could put a sign at the Hollywood Studios station, thereby enabling people heading back to their resort to use it. They could also put signs at the stations at those two resorts as well; some people are bound to walk by the sign going to or from breakfast. The fact that only a few people would know about the soft opening initially is actually a good thing: It means that it won't be inundated with guests and can open softly.

Yes. The minute it happens, it'll be all over the Internet, and although that won't get the news to every guest, it'll get the news to enough guests to be (again) a soft opening.
We will be at AofA September 6-12, and it would make things so much easier going to/from Hollywood Studios after GE opens! We will have a car, but fear the parking lot will be full! Here's to a soft opening to ease the transportation at HS!

All indications are that Disney wants to open all lines at the same time. IMO the slow construction results at the International Gateway is holding the whole thing up. Once that is complete, they should be ready to rock and roll. Very much excited to try this transportation. Kind of reminds me of 40 plus years ago when first got to try the Monorail. Next trip is in December so all bugs should be worked out by then.

Have we any idea how the Riviera station will work in regards to taking passengers? I imagine most gondolas will be filled completely at the CBR station and the EPCOT station so will the Riviera guests be stuck waiting until a few people disembark at Riviera?

All indications are that Disney wants to open all lines at the same time. IMO the slow construction results at the International Gateway is holding the whole thing up. Once that is complete, they should be ready to rock and roll. Very much excited to try this transportation. Kind of reminds me of 40 plus years ago when first got to try the Monorail. Next trip is in December so all bugs should be worked out by then.
What indications?

Have we any idea how the Riviera station will work in regards to taking passengers? I imagine most gondolas will be filled completely at the CBR station and the EPCOT station so will the Riviera guests be stuck waiting until a few people disembark at Riviera?

We don't know for sure but expectations are they will be able to signal to other stations to send empty gondolas when needed

FWIW (probably not much) the gondolas were not running Monday afternoon when the thunderstorm was happening. There were none on the line from Riveria to the Boardwalk turn.
On Saturday only the cbr to dhs line had gondolas sitting on it. They weren’t running. Got to see them running on that line last Thursday.

I’m sure CMs at the stations will have walkie talkies at the very least. They could communicate to the CBR station that they need how ever many empty gondolas for customers there at Riviera and the CBR CMs would send them

If it's anything like the ski resort gondolas I've ridden, every other cabin will be filled @ AoA/POP if there is a line at CB/RIV. The cabins will be filled to capacity - i.e. you won't be able to get one for just your family. I would hope there will also be a single-rider line if things are really busy.

This is assuming that the demand exceeds capacity of course. There would be no need to stuff the cabins or skip load the cabins if there are no lines.

If it's anything like the ski resort gondolas I've ridden, every other cabin will be filled @ AoA/POP if there is a line at CB/RIV. The cabins will be filled to capacity - i.e. you won't be able to get one for just your family. I would hope there will also be a single-rider line if things are really busy.

This is assuming that the demand exceeds capacity of course. There would be no need to stuff the cabins or skip load the cabins if there are no lines.
Everyone has to get off at CBR. Riviera is the only station where all cabins won't be empty.

We have just returned from 3 weeks at CBR. The gondolas ran intermittently almost every day.

What is not ready is the ground around the station. Not close to completion and many workers still on the ground. As this is going to be a hub station, I would say they will not open it until it is safely, fully ready. There is still a lot of heavy machinery there.

I would say a month or so until that is completed. I had really hoped for the fourth of July which would have helped my trip! I think they want to have everything just right for opening, but the gondola system itself could take guests now in my opinion.

...after two weeks in the hospital, which will bankrupt your family. ;)
That's okay----you can just sue Disney after you're released from the hospital. ;)

All joking aside, I am super excited that these will be running for our next trip. I have no qualms about the temperature or the safety or the wait, and even though I am afraid of heights, I am fine with these because I enter them on the ground and they are basically enclosed. (In other words, they are not like a ski lift that's open and I can fall out and die. ;) )

I’m sure CMs at the stations will have walkie talkies at the very least. They could communicate to the CBR station that they need how ever many empty gondolas for customers there at Riviera and the CBR CMs would send them

These ropeway systems come with their own software packages. Requesting empty gondolas will likely be as simple as pressing a button or two.

Complete speculation, but I'd bet that the backup procedure for contacting other stations will be courtesy of Alexander Graham Bell. Hard-line telephones work without electricity.

At Alta every 6th chair is left empty for loading at the midstation, but only after 10 am because in the morining everyone's trying to get up from the base. Just a real world example from a very old and wise institution....

I'm just curious if it has ever been said by Disney if people will be allowed to stand all that I've read has always said 8 to 10 pole seated. I could also see them in non-paeak times letting a family of four to six have a gondola to themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts