Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Yeah, in the morning you don't get huge groups of people leaving the resort at the same time, they are spread out which works well with the continuous loading nature of the Skyliner.
the longest line I can see is at the end of the night after the fireworks go off and if it opens for SWGE I can see people waiting before it opens that morning to get on ( and that is if it opens like before 5 am

Splash will be down this September?

Sorry about that... NO, Splash will NOT be down this Sept... I was more (poorly it seems) making a point that a lot of us (well, me anyway) have been known to beat a dead horse (and for me, it seems to mostly be in regards to Splash)... and do it all over the place, not just in the one thread.

My apologies for any panic that my comment may have caused you.

Question on strollers/ECVs, will it be like the monorail where you don’t have to collapse them on the gondolas?
There is a size box the stroller had to fit into, which I can't remember the exact dimensions of right now, but I think it is the same as the new stroller policy. Since it has to fit with a specific box I think that means you can take them unfolded.
Strollers and ECV's need to fit in an 30” x 48” area.

@ejgonz2 Strollers are expected to be allowed on the Skyliner without folding. Whether 2 will fit might be a question - though if your party is a total of 6 with 3 in strollers, that probably will fit; the bench on 1 side folds up making more space for the strollers or ECVs/wheelchairs, and the 3 guests not in strollers can use the other bench.

One thing I have not heard is whether there will be a size limit for strollers or ECVs/wheelchairs on the Skyliner. Presumably some limit, but the 30" x 48" mentioned by DanBoris is specifically for buses and due to ADA rules about tie-downs. I don't know if the monorails or boats on WDW property have the same size limits for mobility devices as the buses. Width may be the most limiting factor, and I'm not sure if there has been an official measurement posted for the width of the opening into the gondola cars.

But IF they do limit to the 30" x 48" box, that is smaller than the size limit allowed into the parks -- which for strollers is 31" x 52" for strollers and 36" x 52" for mobility devices. So some strollers may still need to be folded if they stick with the box size.

@ejgonz2 Strollers are expected to be allowed on the Skyliner without folding. Whether 2 will fit might be a question - though if your party is a total of 6 with 3 in strollers, that probably will fit; the bench on 1 side folds up making more space for the strollers or ECVs/wheelchairs, and the 3 guests not in strollers can use the other bench.

One thing I have not heard is whether there will be a size limit for strollers or ECVs/wheelchairs on the Skyliner. Presumably some limit, but the 30" x 48" mentioned by DanBoris is specifically for buses and due to ADA rules about tie-downs. I don't know if the monorails or boats on WDW property have the same size limits for mobility devices as the buses. Width may be the most limiting factor, and I'm not sure if there has been an official measurement posted for the width of the opening into the gondola cars.

But IF they do limit to the 30" x 48" box, that is smaller than the size limit allowed into the parks -- which for strollers is 31" x 52" for strollers and 36" x 52" for mobility devices. So some strollers may still need to be folded if they stick with the box size.

We know they will be able to take ECVs - and to do so one bench will fold up. The signs say that each gondola holds up to 10 peple or 6 if an ECV/Mobility device is used (so 5 on the one bench not folded and the one person in the ECV). So my guess for strollers is that you would have to fold up a bench to fit them not folded if they are large, so basically following model for ECVs. But if you are a group fo 10 or something then maybe you could fold up the stroller so all can fit in one. if it is a small umbrella stroller that woudl fit without folding up a bench, maybe that is different. Guess we shall see but I would be surprised if all strollers need to be folded in call cases

Are we sure that only one bench per car can fold? I thought I heard that all of the benches were hinged, though of course if there are any folks on board who walk onto the gondola, at least one bench has to be down to give them a place to sit, because they are not going to be allowing standing riders.

If both benches are hinged, one could in theory accommodate 2 wheelchairs or ECV's, but their users would have to be the only passengers in the car. I think that one gondola can probably handle 2 single strollers easily with one bench up, but 2 doubles might be pushing the limit, and would almost surely have to unload on the stationary loop, because there probably wouldn't be room to turn them inside the gondola.

The 30x48 is for the Skyliner also, it can be seen on the safety rules sign in one of the stations.

Are we sure that only one bench per car can fold? I thought I heard that all of the benches were hinged, though of course if there are any folks on board who walk onto the gondola, at least one bench has to be down to give them a place to sit, because they are not going to be allowing standing riders.

If both benches are hinged, one could in theory accommodate 2 wheelchairs or ECV's, but their users would have to be the only passengers in the car. I think that one gondola can probably handle 2 single strollers easily with one bench up, but 2 doubles might be pushing the limit, and would almost surely have to unload on the stationary loop, because there probably wouldn't be room to turn them inside the gondola.

They may both be hinged so you can select which one to lift up but I don't think with both of them up you would be able to fit 2 ECVs - guess we shall see for certain but everything I have seen commented said they will be limited to 1 ECV and when asked about couples that both use one the answer I was provided (just here, so again, might not be official) was that they would need to take separate cars

They may both be hinged so you can select which one to lift up but I don't think with both of them up you would be able to fit 2 ECVs - guess we shall see for certain but everything I have seen commented said they will be limited to 1 ECV and when asked about couples that both use one the answer I was provided (just here, so again, might not be official) was that they would need to take separate cars

I wonder if 2 ECV’s with riders would be over the weight limit.

There is a really wide variance in the size and weight of ECVs. The smallest folding travel scooters can weigh as little as 39 lbs, while the largest 4-wheels can weigh up to 400 lbs. I think that the capacity is going to depend a lot of what size the scooters are; two of the little travel versions would probably be fine.

This is true of wheelchairs as well: The typical steel rental wheelchair takes a large turning radius and weighs over 50 lbs, but most user-propelled personal chairs have a lot of non-metal or alloy components that reduce the weight to less than 20, and usually have smaller wheels and a much tighter radius. Two of those smaller chairs would also probably fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter