Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I certainly agree about it that opening until the stations are ready but based on how far along the gondola system is itself it seems like Disney is dragging its feet getting the stations ready. They obviously should have started work on the stations much sooner to have them complete when the gondola system was complete. Based on systems I've seen installed ski resorts this 1 is taking "forever"! Actually it should be much sooner because they are bldg. it on flat terrain which greatly reduces the complexity of the installation work.

It certainly seems like for some reason Disney just doesn't want that system to open real soon.
I haven't seen station updates in a few weeks, but shouldn't Pop/AoA & HS be close to being 100% complete?
If I remember correctly the station at CB had a lot more work to be done, compared to the others on that line.

I just looked at the pics in the full article and will say the wraps are even better than I had imagined! So much wonderful detail! They're going to be beautiful floating around WDW!!

I love the ones where they used shadows and stuff to give a 3D effect of an arm or something hanging down - like the one with Hank the Octopus looks really good

I agree - I mean, would be silly to have them wrapped for so long but then leave them exposed (and potentially damaged) for several more months or whatever?
I agree!

I haven't seen station updates in a few weeks, but shouldn't Pop/AoA & HS be close to being 100% complete?
If I remember correctly the station at CB had a lot more work to be done, compared to the others on that line.
We were there last week and while it wouldn't take long to do this, there are quite a few paint touch-ups that are needed at the Pop/AoA station.Pop Skyliner Station 1 Apr 30, 2019.jpg Pop Skyliner Station 2 Apr 30, 2019.jpg

I can't help but think they must be somewhat close to opening at least the DHS line. Why would they uncover the gondolas for an extended period of time if they weren't going to get them up and running soon? (At least that's the dream that goes round and round in my head!!)

There were photos yesterday of the DHS station being worked on to tie the facade into the DHS entrance's art nouveau architecture. It didn't looking like it would be ready very soon.

Slowly revealing details to create excitement?

I agree - I mean, would be silly to have them wrapped for so long but then leave them exposed (and potentially damaged) for several more months or whatever?
Unless they wanted to test how well they stand up to the FL weather?

I mean... if they're concerned about depressed attendance from now until SWGE, opening the Skyliner could bring about some interest and bring more people out. Just sayin'.

Yes but they have to finish it first.

I'm just saying it would be a reason for them to actually get it done and open. Seems from the outside like they're just lolly-gagging around about it. I'm sure it's not really like that, just how it feels. I know they had to do a lot of infrastructure work, especially at CBR, but hopefully now that they're wrapping that up they can move more quickly toward getting these done. Sorry, I'm just anxious. I know I won't be able to ride them, but all the people travelling after me would also love a chance. :)

Calling it now, (unless it has already been discussed) people will be riding these as an attraction. "Galaxy's Edge is closed for capacity, Slinky Dog has a 90 min wait, let's go ride the gondola!!!! I hope we get Nemo!"
I foresee booklets with pictures off all the character gondola so people can track their progress towards riding them all.

Last edited:
I'd expect someone will make a book of all the different gondola's so

I foresee booklets with pictures off all the character gondola so people can track their progress towards riding them all.
Or maybe Disney could make it an activity in the Play Disney Parks app, with QR codes to scan in the cabins. And the opportunity to buy a pin if you succeed.

These look awesome! I was really hoping, before Disney announced a open date, that they'd open Memorial Day weekend. We will be there beginning of June, so now they will just taunt me as they soar overhead...
Right there with you. We will be in the parks from June 4th til the 8th, was hoping beyond hope that a quick ride was doable...Oh well, just sit and watch with awe I guess... :cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!